admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i am thinking of purchasing the b&w 685 speakers,my system consists of Arcam A70 Amp.Arcam cd73T Mourdaunt Short Avant 902i on sound style z2 stands (sand filled) with Qed Xtube bi-wire speaker cable although i am pleased with my system i feel i could do with more bass as good as the 902is speakers sound do you think upgrading to the b&w 685 speakers will make much of an improvment.

any idea's please

cheers jon

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a NAD amp and upgraded my 902i's to B&W 686's which (according to popular opinion) are no where near as good as the 685's, and I thought the upgrade was significant (warmer, lusher, more base, more detailed much nicer to listen to etc) - so I think you'll find the 685's a MASSIVE improvement.

Incidently I auditioned the 685's in the shop with my amp and they have tons of bass (compared to 902i's) and in fact everyone was raving about them. The reason I chose the 686's was I have a small room (and they are much smaller and my wife preferred them) and I thought the 685's would be abit over the top for where I was gonna put them. The 686's also need a lot of power to get them sounding ok unlike the 685's (so i've been told)

I'm certain you wont be disappointed by the 685's - go for it!

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
just my opinion but i didnt think the arcam amp/cdp with bw685/683 worked, it all sounded too dull for me, it all souded much better and thrilling with nad c355bee, but of course everyones ears are different.

jonn:

Hi i am thinking of purchasing the b&w 685 speakers,my system consists of Arcam A70 Amp.Arcam cd73T Mourdaunt Short Avant 902i on sound style z2 stands (sand filled) with Qed Xtube bi-wire speaker cable although i am pleased with my system i feel i could do with more bass as good as the 902is speakers sound do you think upgrading to the b&w 685 speakers will make much of an improvment.

any idea's please

cheers jon

I think it would be sterling improvement, although I would plump for the B&W CM range. If you can accommodate floorstanders, Monitor Audio are ideal with Arcam. The Silver range, RS5's or better still, RS6.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think the B&W 685's would work well but i also agree that the M/A RS5 or RS6 floorstanders would work better :)

The RS5's are one drive unit as well as the tweeter but they offer excellent bass and can be driven fairly easily :)

The 685's are great speakers but if i were you and were to go for the 685's then i'd be looking at better, more solid stands like the Partington range etc...

All depends on your budget; if you do go for the 685's but the Partington stands are OTT; try using Atabites to weigh down the stands.

A

Anonymous

These are excellent speakers that are not fussy about it's patner components - make sure they are on a solid pair of stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts