New Vs Old Genral

PREthe2nd

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site
Short question

Is there a siginificant improvement in performance - sound wise between hi-fi components from 20 years ago and modern equipment being manufactured today

Longer explanation

My Project Xpression turntable from 20 years ago died recently and my attempt to fix it was not successful, so I have ended up purchasing a new turnatable (Project Debut pro). I am quite impressed with the new turntable and am enjoying revisiting old records with it.
This has raised my curiosty about other components such as CD player and AMP, would there be a much of a difference between a new one and on from 20 years ago. For information - I am currently using a Marantz PM7200 AMP and Marantz CD 5400 with B&W 601 speakers, i also have a Cambridge audio DAC magic that i paly streamed music through and CD when i feel like it. I am pretty pleased with this set up and it works for me - but the new turntable has aroused a curiosity.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Today, vinyl and turntables are not about sound quality, it is largely a cultural and commercial phenomenon. The fact is that in recent years, releasing music products on vinyl is the only way to make money from selling physical music media, so the topic of vinyl in general is actively advertised in fan communities and forums.

Conclusion - you can choose any vinyl player that you like best in terms of aesthetics.

Today, vinyl and turntables are not about sound quality, it is largely a cultural and commercial phenomenon. The fact is that in recent years, releasing music products on vinyl is the only way to make money from selling physical music media, so the topic of vinyl in general is actively advertised in fan communities and forums.

Conclusion - you can choose any vinyl player that you like best in terms of aesthetics.
Clarify your nonsense please and answer the OPs question

PREthe2nd

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site

Thanks for the repsonse - possibly i was not clear but my quetion was not really about turntable but inspired by it - i have already relpaced that.
I was wondering if if HI-FI components in general have improved much in 20 years sound wise.

Short question

Is there a siginificant improvement in performance - sound wise between hi-fi components from 20 years ago and modern equipment being manufactured today

Longer explanation

My Project Xpression turntable from 20 years ago died recently and my attempt to fix it was not successful, so I have ended up purchasing a new turnatable (Project Debut pro). I am quite impressed with the new turntable and am enjoying revisiting old records with it.
This has raised my curiosty about other components such as CD player and AMP, would there be a much of a difference between a new one and on from 20 years ago. For information - I am currently using a Marantz PM7200 AMP and Marantz CD 5400 with B&W 601 speakers, i also have a Cambridge audio DAC magic that i paly streamed music through and CD when i feel like it. I am pretty pleased with this set up and it works for me - but the new turntable has aroused a curiosity.
Yes.
Improvement will come from a cartridge upgrade if this is your main source.
Al rlsr will depend upon condition of your old kit.

Messiah

Short question

Is there a siginificant improvement in performance - sound wise between hi-fi components from 20 years ago and modern equipment being manufactured today.
I am quite interested in this myself.

Currently I am using a Kenwood amp from 30 years ago (which wasn’t particularly well reviewed (3/5 stars type)) but I still think it sounds decent with my Q Acoustics 3030i.

I just wonder whether something like a Marantz PM6007 would be better (ideally I would like a bit more clarity but that could also be that I am more accustomed to Monitor Audio speakers) or if I would have to spend more to see an improvement.

Yes, demoing is the best option but not always easy.

Anyhow, I don’t want to hijack your thread but would be interested in thoughts on this topic. 😊

Reactions: PREthe2nd

abacus

Component quality has improved and also got cheaper; therefore, you get more bang for your buck, so yes there has been improvement.
How an amplifier sounds will depend on how it interreacts with the speakers (Unless high end where no matter what speaker you choose it will drive them with commensurate ease) as amplifiers themselves are pretty neutral. (Assuming they have been designed correctly)
Components also age, so your amp may not be operating as good as it once did. (As the change is gradual you have probably not noticed)

Bill

Gray

I just wonder whether something like a Marantz PM6007 would be better (ideally I would like a bit more clarity but that could also be that I am more accustomed to Monitor Audio speakers) or if I would have to spend more to see an improvement.
I think most people would agree that if you're only going to change one thing, then speakers will have the greatest influence on your overall sound.

But yes, I would expect the 6007 to give you a noticeable improvement all round without needing to spend more.

aversaurus

I swop and change my equipment often and amplifiers the most . components improve over time but classic amplifier amplification hasn't really changed since the late 1970,s .A top of the range dual mono integrated amplifier design has hardly changed.

Reactions: PREthe2nd

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
"In terms of build quality, serviceability, operational life and 'general vintage goodness', older CD players are almost always better and nicer to own than new ones. Even in terms of sound quality, older players often sound superb, especially when you consider that CD player technology was thoroughly mature by the nineties". (Liquid Audio Australia, 2023)
These views are not necessarily those held by the person who quoted this.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

"In terms of build quality, serviceability, operational life and 'general vintage goodness', older CD players are almost always better and nicer to own than new ones. Even in terms of sound quality, older players often sound superb, especially when you consider that CD player technology was thoroughly mature by the nineties". (Liquid Audio Australia, 2023)
I prefer the sound of my modern CD spinner over my late 1980’s Marantz, why, the new one actually spins the CD’s the Marantz gave up on doing that a while back.

:)

AJM1981

Short question

Longer explanation

I am on team current age in general

The main reason is time and experience in engineering.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
In some respects, yes. In others, no. Modern DACs are more revealing than older ones, so you get slightly more resolution. That doesn't mean you’re going to prefer it, though.
Materials in speaker design have become lighter and CAD aids bracing but, again, that doesn’t mean you’ll enjoy them more.
Buying newer gear gives you - hopefully - more piece of mind regards reliability but good sound is good sound and that hasn’t changed.
I‘ve been playing around with old kit I’ve kept hold of. Currently listening through my old Arcam Alpha 8 amplifier and I’m astonished how good it still sounds, compared to my new Rega.

I just wonder whether something like a Marantz PM6007 would be better
Yes! See if you can buy from somewhere like Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson that’s happy with returns, although ideally chose a local independent shop if you can.

Or if you’re on a tight budget, an earlier used 6006 or 6005 will be much cheaper and not much different, but still much newer than your old Kenwood.

record_spot

Thanks for the repsonse - possibly i was not clear but my quetion was not really about turntable but inspired by it - i have already relpaced that.
I was wondering if if HI-FI components in general have improved much in 20 years sound wise.

It depends on what you're looking for. In the last twenty years? Tricky to say. Not so much would be my take, but other aspects have changed significantly - products are more streamlined, with better connectivity. You can buy a pair of active speakers, which, more and more these days have onboard streaming capabilities. Turntables have Bluetooth (ignore the poo-poohing for now), or they have onboard phono stages. CD players have long had the means to play SACD or have internal DACs you can use for offboard uses. My own turntable, the Cambridge Alva ST has Bluetooth and an onboard phono stage and both are far better than they've any right to be going by my own reckoning. Times have changed, though I do use an external phono stage these days.

My own CD player dates back to 1988. The Kenwood DP990-SG. A heavyweight cracker. New to me a couple of years ago, but it holds its own comfortably against my Cambridge DACMagic 200M of recent vintage and the 2012/3 Cambridge 752BD universal player.

If you're thinking about buying used gear, ca' canny as it can be a bit of a minefield. I've had a good few CD players over the years go toes up, have issues, and so on. Arcam's FMJ series was prone to problems from memory, though their earlier Alpha CD players were fine. Make sure you get a return option and don't spend over the odds. These days, I budget around £100 or so for a CD player I want to try out, though, you will find prices coming down for the likes of the Marantz SA8005 and Musical Fidelity A3.2 CDPs. Good times all round, but again, purchase carefully.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Short question

Longer explanation

In short, no

That marantz was pretty special when it was released and still is. I think you’d be hard pressed to match the sound with what you spent 20 years ago. Think I bought mine for 250quid.

I can’t think of an amp that can run in pure class A today with decent useable wattage for under 1500quid let alone one that a touch of a button is back in ab mode with 95 watts on tap.

Personally if there’s something wrong with it I’d just get it serviced.

But that’s just me

Edit, sorry pressed publish before I was I done lol.

cd players if anything have gotten worst, if it’s acting up get it serviced.

If you want to spend money I’d look at speakers but again you need to be careful buying budget is not like buying budget 20 years back. And you might actually take a step backwards.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts