AVI ADM9.1 + sub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Forgive me, mods, but I have to share this. I've just auditioned the AVI ADM9.1 with matching sub and they're a blinding combination (did this years ago but rather briefly and sans sub). The imaging was an improvement over my current kit and the sub was the tightest thing I've ever heard! For the money I really can't see anything coming close. That's just in my limited experiences of hifi, anyway. Looks like I'll be selling up and tidying up my living room a bit in the bargain.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the imaging from them is superb, suprised you feel the need for a sub though. you don't feel like waiting for the floorstanders?
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
igglebert:Forgive me, mods, but I have to share this.

No idea why you feel the need to crave forgiveness...

Purely because I've started an AVI thread and I know how messy they can become! Please just delete it if things veer into silliness!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Purely because I've started an AVI thread and I know how messy they can become! Please just delete it if things veer into silliness!

Ah right. Well, let's wait and see, shall we...?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why not the latest ADM9T' versions?

Are you buying ex-demo?

(According to the AVI website the ADM9T has improved power-amp and pre-amp and DAC boards and improved firmware too.)

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Why not the latest ADM9T' versions?

Are you buying ex-demo?

(According to the AVI website the ADM9T has improved power-amp and pre-amp and DAC boards and improved firmware too.)

It's interesting you mention buying ex demo. I am not sure you would find a good deal to be honest. I have been watching a few different places to try to pick them up at a discount and since the what hifi review the second hand price has gone up alot, before the review I saw them go for between £550 and £700 but since I have not seen a pair go for less than £800+. I would love some but the limited inputs and huge sub stop me every time I get the itch.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Forgive me, mods, but I have to share this.

I've just auditioned the AVI ADM9.1 with matching sub and they're a blinding combination (did this years ago but rather briefly and sans sub). The imaging was an improvement over my current kit and the sub was the tightest thing I've ever heard! For the money I really can't see anything coming close. That's just in my limited experiences of hifi, anyway. Looks like I'll be selling up and tidying up my living room a bit in the bargain.

won't you have some change if you sell up?

A

Anonymous

Yeah, with any luck I'll have a bit of change. I'm going to keep the SA1 zebrano stands to use with a black laquer pair (new) of ADM9.1T; that way I get to keep a little of that lovely finish
emotion-1.gif
I'll have to wait until next year to get the sub as I have a (tiny) wedding to fund first!

I've read and heard a fair bit about the T mod and buying new is the only option for me. Let's face it, they're hardly expensive for what you get!

If you're after a small passive speaker then the SA1 is very, very good. If you can, cut the rest of the kit out of the loop and go active with the AVIs. They really are miles ahead.

I've been very cautious about the ADMs and I've spent time researching and auditioning to make sure that they really are that good. I have an AVI S2000MP preamp which is around 15 years old and it performs very well. This confirmed my belief in Martin's design capabilities and the AVI products. It's been a gradual progression as I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, etc.

Don't get me wrong, these are not going to compete with large-scale passive set ups like the MA Platinum 300 and Musical Fidelity kW set up I heard a few years ago. That lot cost £20k and has a different design objective. For the design objective of filling a small to medium room, the AVIs have it covered. The upcoming ADM40 floorstanders may well cover the rest of the market though!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:The upcoming ADM40 floorstanders may well cover the rest of the market though!

Indeed. The prototype ADM40s were reported as being far better than both the ATC SCM50 and SCM100 Actives.

A

Anonymous

The challenge with such a product is going to be the marketing and product placement. The hifi world does seem to be price-driven and if the perceived product value isn't felt then an opportunity will be missed. That's on the assumption that they're exceptional, of course
emotion-1.gif

Messiah

So how good was the sub compared to your REL?

I currently use a Yamaha sub and I am really pleased with the results with the ADMs but given how good the 9.1s are it does seem logical that the AVI sub will be equally impressive.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:If you're after a small passive speaker then the SA1 is very, very good. If you can, cut the rest of the kit out of the loop and go active with the AVIs. They really are miles ahead.
Given your views and feelings towards the SA1 in the past, that's some praise indeed!

Once your signature transforms from two lines to one, an update on how it all comes together within your listening room would be nice. Would make for a great mini review.

Anyway, congratulations on your new purchase.

And even more so on the upcoming "tiny" ceremony
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Iggle I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to mine Adm's without sub and Daves with sub I look forward to your in home review.
Nick.

A

Anonymous

AL13N:igglebert:If you're after a small passive speaker then the SA1 is very, very good. If you can, cut the rest of the kit out of the loop and go active with the AVIs. They really are miles ahead.
Given your views and feelings towards the SA1 in the past, that's some praise indeed!

Once your signature transforms from two lines to one, an update on how it all comes together within your listening room would be nice. Would make for a great mini review.

Anyway, congratulations on your new purchase.

And even more so on the upcoming "tiny" ceremony
emotion-1.gif

The SA1s are very fine speakers indeed. I wouldn't have even looked elsewhere if it wasn't for the need to find an elegant solution for computer music without all of the boxes and plugs. I'll be sorry to see them go but I'm looking forward to an integrated solution with Spotify!

The sonic differences between my current kit and the AVIs may be fairly significant in hifi terms but that actually amounts to a small change in real terms. I'm willing to bet that my fiance won't notice any change in imaging nor bass! The SA1s have a bit more character, a little more colour that makes their small application more pleasing, e.g. 100Hz bump.

The sub is a monumental improvement over the REL Quake though. Ribena compared to Chateau Haut-Marbuzet.

A

Anonymous

Nick21:Iggle I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to mine Adm's without sub and Daves with sub I look forward to your in home review.
Nick.
I enjoyed meeting you, Dave and Cloe more than hearing the AVIs. It has been a pleasure and it would be great fun to have a social of some sort!

Ordered my AVIs this afternoon. Black piano laquer to go with my Spendor stands...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
igglebert, congratulations
emotion-21.gif
. From your posts over time I know you make careful and deliberate decisions so these AVIs must be really something special. Can't wait to read a full review once you've had some serious seat time with them. Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Iggle, I fell completely for the ADM 9.1Ts when I heard them. Never thought I would need the sub, but when funds allow I will go down that route. Brilliant though the speakers are, sometimes there is just a little something lacking. From feedback on another forum the sub appears to complete the package.

Having read many of your posts, you always seem to give very balanced views and have a wealth of knowledge. With this in mind I would appreciate your thoughts on set up once you have had time to establish your preference.

It have read that the ADM's are happy placed close to a wall, but I found standing them into the room about a foot from the wall with just a small ammount of toe in works best for me. They sit on some Partington SuperDreadnoughts.

If you are ever in Romford you are more than welcome to pop in for a brew and a listen.

Regards SOM

A

Anonymous

Thanks SOM. Kind of you to offer a jolly too.

I'll write up any thoughts and experiences once I have the beasties and a photo of the zebrano stands with them may be somewhat different!

I heartily recommend the sub, it's a powerful beast that tempts you into turning it up too much!!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Sounds good.
emotion-21.gif
I think the AVIs (with or without sub) and the upcoming 40s are some of the most interesting speakers around (or not yet around
emotion-1.gif
. I would love to hear those!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts