AVI ADM9.1 + sub

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I came a hairs bredth from buying some PMC DB1is earlier today off ebay but was worried that they wouldn't perform close to the wall on wall brackets. I wondered whether the ADM9.1T are fussy about positioning? What do you think?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Here's the problem. I've created a spot in my new kitchen/diner for a telly and hifi (see below).

5361046741_4bb0024f07.jpg

Kitchen/Diner

The telly is the Panasonic TX-L32D25. I'd like to squeeze a speaker either side of the telly. I've got room for stuff, i.e. bluray player, amp, subwoofer, etc, below the telly. The units aren't very deep (about 30cm) but I have a plan to sort this if I needed.

The problem is the speakers are going to have to be fairly unfussy with positioning.

A

Anonymous

In my experience the AVIs are not fussy about positioning at all. Just like the SA1s except that these go lower. The port on the AVIs is at the front, but I don't think it's of any consequence. The bass control is an order of magnitude better to any passive I've heard. PJ, forget the PMCs, these are better and a far more elegant package.

If you're anywhere near Peterborough, you're welcome to come and hear.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:In my experience the AVIs are not fussy about positioning at all. Just like the SA1s except that these go lower. The port on the AVIs is at the front, but I don't think it's of any consequence. The bass control is an order of magnitude better to any passive I've heard. PJ, forget the PMCs, these are better and a far more elegant package.

If you're anywhere near Peterborough, you're welcome to come and hear.
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, you're a 175 miles away.

A

Anonymous

You can use wall brackets with the AVIs but I'm not sure which ones, I'd have to find out from elsewhere.

In that space, PJ, I'd be more worried about the depth available. You really need 35cm from front baffle to rear of the cables. Maybe you could drop off 3-4cm if you bought a 90degree IEC power lead for each.

Have you considered the AVI Neutron and sub instead. You get a smaller footprint speaker with amps and DAC in the sub. It might be a better fit.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
PJPro:I came a hairs bredth from buying some PMC DB1is earlier today off ebay but was worried that they wouldn't perform close to the wall on wall brackets.

PMC make their own wall-brackets especially for the DB1is...

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=133

So I should think they will be ok on walls.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. But then I started turning up threads where auditioners claimed they got a little boomy in confined spaces and close to the wall.

Clearly, I could simply audition these speakers at my local hifi store and then buy off ebay. But I find this somewhat unethical. So, an ebay purchase means buying blind.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:
In that space, PJ, I'd be more worried about the depth available. You really need 35cm from front baffle to rear of the cables. Maybe you could drop off 3-4cm if you bought a 90degree IEC power lead for each.
I could pack out all of the units with 2x2, giving me an extra 5cm. That said, the WHFSV review reckons the speakers are 26 cm deep. Do I really need another 9cm for a IEC connector?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:You can use wall brackets with the AVIs but I'm not sure which ones, I'd have to find out from elsewhere.
If you happen to know, I'd be grateful for a steer. I've had a good look and didn't turn up anything.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:igglebert:
I could pack out all of the units with 2x2, giving me an extra 5cm. That said, the WHFSV review reckons the speakers are 26 cm deep. Do I really need another 9cm for a IEC connector?
Well, you need the room of the connector plus some grace for the cable to flex. Also, you need some room for the other cables. You might be able to squash it all in more.

Messiah

igglebert:You can use wall brackets with the AVIs but I'm not sure which ones, I'd have to find out from elsewhere.

Have you considered the AVI Neutron and sub instead. You get a smaller footprint speaker with amps and DAC in the sub. It might be a better fit.

I just measured the depth of mine as I think Igglebert has done and it is about 35cm. If you could get a 90 degree lead it would help but with the optical lead in the depth is still about 33cm. Although you said you may be able to accommodate this. I would have thought a wall bracket would also add to the depth.

Having said that, I would try to accommodate them if possible!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the links igglebert.

I saw the Target brackets and concluded the S8 were the ones to go for but, wouldn't you know it, they seem to be generally out of stock.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:

I just measured the depth of mine as I think Igglebert has done and it is about 35cm. If you could get a 90 degree lead it would help but with the optical lead in the depth is still about 33cm. Although you said you may be able to accommodate this. I would have thought a wall bracket would also add to the depth.

Having said that, I would try to accommodate them if possible!

Could one of you confirm the depth of the speakers without leads please.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
How much heat is being dissipated from the backplates of the ADM9.1Ts igglebert?

I know these speakers are rated at 325 watts per channel so I would have thought there must be some recommendation about minimum distance from the wall (for ventilation) especially in a kitchen area and mounted further up a wall where all the warm air is.

How about the AVI Neutron Vs?

£400, passive, small. highly rated, and - according to AVI on their N5 webpage - "can be tucked away in discrete places" and are shown as such.

A

Anonymous

I've not managed to generate anything more than a slightly warm backplate. I don't play them quietly. How others have managed hot plates is beyond me (well, clearly they turn them up more but you get my point).

Edit - the last time I measured the dB when I was playing above normal listening levels it was about 88dB, peaking to 103 (iPhone app). Even after 20-30mins of that the plates were only warm.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes. It's gonna be very tight. Damn. I reckon the IEC is gonna add 7cm and an optical lead around the same, maybe a bit less (as you've both said).

The Neutron 5.1s have their own problems. I'm worried about the rear port on the speakers. And the sub will be below the level of the table, requiring gymnastics to use the remote.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
.... especially in a kitchen area and mounted further up a wall where all the warm air is.....

The speakers are at the far end of the room, about 7m from the cooker. I suspect heat would be a bigger problem in my living room due to the proximity of the wood burner. But good point and worth a query with the manufacturer if I can overcome the other issues.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:The Neutron 5.1s have their own problems. I'm worried about the rear port on the speakers. And the sub will be below the level of the table, requiring gymnastics to use the remote.

I was suggesting the Neutron 5s without the 2.1 sub unit.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:What about some baby Genelec 6010s?

BMR311540.jpg

Err. I was hoping for something a little more....refined. My first thought (due to depth issues) was a Naim Nait 5i (30cm) with PMC DB1is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts