PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
For some reason, peoples avatars are not consistantly loading. Sometimes they are replaced by what looks like the pipe character. Strangely, in a single page, a person's avatar will be a pipe for one post and the full image for another post on the same page.

Anyone else experiencing this?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Couldn't help myself and do a little bit of investigation...

If I look a Newbie needs serious Help!!, Andy Clough's avatar is a pipe.

If I look at the html, the url of his avatar is...

/users/avatar.aspx?userid=2136&lastmodified=633169092896187215

Not sure why he so many ampersands (looks like a error in the code to me). Anyway, If I stick the the above url into the address bar, prefixed by http://community.whathifi.com/forums (the address of the forum), I can see his avatar.

Not entirely sure why I can't see his avatar in the page (even after a refresh).....but the img url is correct.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
That's disappointing. Would have made the issue easier to find if we were all seeing the problem with the same image instances.

daveh75

PJPro:That's disappointing. Would have made the issue easier to find if we were all seeing the problem with the same image instances. Well Andy Clough's is one of the ones that hasn't been loading for me either,so maybe your onto something.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The only time i get avatars not loading is when the page doesn't load properly i just refresh the page & everything is fine.

Other than that i have no problems with avatars.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Well I've returned to this page several times to read the posts and I still can't see daveh75's avatar for his first posting on this thread......however, I can see it for the later posts.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm not a pipe either, and neither is this

MagrittePipe.jpg

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
You know this loading of avatars/images is definately a problem. It hasn't happened in the past. Perhaps it's something to do with the latest version of FF?

I'm running 3.0.12.

A

Anonymous

Hmm.. It would seem I have succumb'ed to the Avatar monster..

Anyone able to help me please? After my original 'saved' image didn't work, I have resized my jpg to around 80x80 and saved it again. I say 'around' because my PaintShopPro is on the blink and I am resorting to MSPaint image resizing - which only works in percentages.. Cue a little maths and a calculator, and some nifty sums.. and some time later I have %'d my 417x511 to 'about' 80x80 give or take a pixel or two!!

So will wait anxiously to see if it works this time..

If it don't (and knowing my luck.. it won't) can anyone suggest anyfink? Ta muchly.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah, I think you're talking about avatars not uploading, rather than uploaded avatar images not always appearing, which is what PJP is on about.

There is a known problem with uploading avatar pictures - if you email me your picture via the contact us address, with 'username avatar' as the subject, I will upload it for you.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
RodhasGibson:So you"re not with the Slippers then.
emotion-1.gif

No, at the moment he's in Northumberland with walking boots on (knapsack on back and three choruses of The Happy Wanderer optional...)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts