ATC SCM40 new vs PMC 26 pre loved

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all...

I was almost decided on the ATC SCM 40's, which I could audition before purchase for 4720 pounds.

But unexpectedly I have been offered a pre-loved pair of PMC 26's. Which I cannot audition before purchase. The PMC's might be in the 3000 pound ball park giving me a sizable saving.

Any thoughts on how they compare would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Hi all...

I was almost decided on the ATC SCM 40's, which I could audition before purchase for 4720 pounds.

But unexpectedly I have been offered a pre-loved pair of PMC 26's. Which I cannot audition before purchase. The PMC's might be in the 3000 pound ball park giving me a sizable saving.

Any thoughts on how they compare would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance

They both quality speakers.
The bass on the atc will be more accurate and neutral with no added ommph.
Id give them a listen. Im sure you will like them.

Only problem i see with the pmc 26 is that sachin tendulkar does not own a pair so bear that in mind.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
:)

Those pmc's seem to go down to 28 Hz . I could use a sub with a 40hz crossover to ease them off the painstaking lower end. I agree that both are quality speakers. I have read that the ATC's are Pacey, just what IAM looking for. If the PMC's are of the same speed, consider me sold :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
:)

Those pmc's seem to go down to 28 Hz . I could use a sub with a 40hz crossover to ease them off the painstaking lower end. I agree that both are quality speakers. I have read that the ATC's are Pacey, just what IAM looking for. If the PMC's are of the same speed, consider me sold :)

I think more people prefer the pmc on here to the atcs.

Id really give them a demo and see if you like them.

Like atc the 26 also has a mid range dome.
Brand new in uk they retail for almost £7500

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I posted this on your other thread and then I saw this one so I will put it here also *good*
newlash09 wrote:

newlash09 wrote:
I have been offered a pre-worshiped pmc26. Did not ask the price, as same would be rude without being interested. Any advise on the same would be most welcome

If I had the choice I would go for the PMC 26, they do exactly what you asked for in your heading.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/pmc-twenty26-floorstanding-loudspeakers/

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My advice is to listen to the ATC.....and only if they are not what you are looking for, consider the PMC.

You should also hear the Kef, if that is an option.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I could audition the ATC's , but cannot audition the PMC's. Will wait till the seller reveals the price of the PMC's, if there is a sizable saving as i expect, then I would be tempted towards the pmc's. Thanks again for your suggestions

newlash09 said:
I have read that the ATC's are Pacey, just what IAM looking for.

Hi newlash09

Please have a read of ATC's Corporate brochure. Written by Mr ATC Billy Woodman it'll hopefully give you a good insight as to where ATC are coming from -

http://atcforums.co.uk/pdf/ATC%20CORP%20BROCHURE.pdf

Btw, out of interest i was born in India (New Delhi). Funnily enough last weekend I posted a picture on our FB page of me at ten days old in my Mum's arms *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

rainsoothe

If you can get rid of the PMCs for the price you buy them, it MIGHT be worth taking the punt. But I would audition ATC (if your room is not that big and wanna add a sub anyway, the SCM 19 might also be worth considering). To me, the Twenty series sound nice, but can be too sharp at times (heard a pair in a Bryston setup). That transmission line bass, though, sounds very energetic and addictive, if you can place them in a good spot.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I thought your budget was up to £2000 as you will not buy PMC 26s or ATCs for that budget

you really do need to demo theses speakers before handing over your money first it's important that you do because your regret it if you buy speakers by what people say on a hifi forum .

we can only recommend speakers and our opinions and I would hate to see you make a big mistake on the wrong speakers so please ... demo before buying .

have you heard The Kefs R300s , Kef R500s , Kef R900s or the Dali opticon 6 or 8s and now PMCs 26s retail £7500 or the secondhand ones that you waiting for a price for probably going to be £4000- 4500 secondhand depends on condition .

you might find that you might like the other speakers that have been mentioned on you other thread for less money that's why I am saying DEMO....

insider9

Agree it's important to audition.

However if PMC are a bargain I'd have a demo on collection and take them. You can always trade them in for ATC should you wish. Monetary loss should be much less than if you were doing it other way round.

Also it could be quite a lot of fun. Just make sure all is well with the second hand units. Extensive demo at different volume levels and material and inspect the units physically including drive units, etc.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it's absolute madness to buy either of those speakers at those prices, with the ATC 40's being doubleplusultramadness at £4.7k.

Unless you're a millionaire and that amount of money means next to nothing to you. Even then you'd have to be a millionaire with a big lack of ego - one that was happy to make sub-optimum deals - which is something that isn't in the mindset of most self-made millionaires.

If you want something small and neat looking that sounds OK - which is what the ATC's and PMC's are - why not save a load of money and import something like a pair of Royds off UK ebay for a few hundred quid. Thereby saving you £thousands.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
All opinions taken. Slowly that initial burst of exuberance is waning, and some sense is setting in I guess.

As blacksabbath 25 said, I might like some other speakers for far lesser money. So will surely audition all the proposed contenders in my other thread, before I pull the trigger.

The seller has qouted me a price of 3200 pounds for the PMC26's. Still trying to see if I can arrange a audition with my own amp. Thanks again.

newlash09 said:
All opinions taken. Slowly that initial burst of exuberance is waning, and some sense is setting in I guess.

As blacksabbath 25 said, I might like some other speakers for far lesser money. So will surely audition all the proposed contenders in my other thread, before I pull the trigger.

The seller has qouted me a price of 3200 pounds for the PMC26's. Still trying to see if I can arrange a audition with my own amp. Thanks again.
Given the premium the ATC seem to acquire in India, I feel that's not too bad for the 26s, pace Lindsay. But unless they are sale or return, it's a big risk - although as someone else said if you can resell at that figure...? The last pair of used ones sold here on eBay were £2995 from a dealer.

I can only speak from recent experience that taking your time and listening at home are indispensable at this price level.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam far from being a millionaire :)

But I have this ever changing interest in boys' toys. And audio is the flair of the season for now. Used to be photography and drones in the past. But I can sense that I have never been so intent on any of my past hobbies. I think what started as a harmless purchase of the Harman kardon sound sticks has got me addicted.

I do agree that it's a lot of money. My dad and wife concur with you on the being crazy part. But Iam a person with a singular interest at any time. So I prioritise where I spend.

IAM fondly hoping that my next speaker upgrade will keep me content for a very long time to come. And worth the investment.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The seller claims to be a dealer of high end audio. Apparently the speakers were sold by him to a customer who subsequently traded them in to upgrade to some high end focal's. And he has agreed to an audition in October when I return to India, in return for a token amount of 600 pounds. He assures that the speakers are immaculate in all respects. If I do find a fault with them, then I get a full refund. However if I decide that they are not for me sound wise, I'd have to forfeit the 600 pounds. So an audition is in order, albeit an expensive one. Has anyone been in this situation :)

insider9

He clearly thinks he's going to have issues selling them in the next 3 months at that asking price. That means they're likely to be there when you're back anyway without you paying him anything now. I'd wait until October and look to make a deal around £2,500 after full inspection and demo.

Would be crazy to give a non-refundable deposit to a guy you don't know based on something he said for a product you don't even know you'll like.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
The seller claims to be a dealer of high end audio. Apparently the speakers were sold by him to a customer who subsequently traded them in to upgrade to some high end focal's. And he has agreed to an audition in October when I return to India, in return for a token amount of 600 pounds. He assures that the speakers are immaculate in all respects. If I do find a fault with them, then I get a full refund. However if I decide that they are not for me sound wise, I'd have to forfeit the 600 pounds. So an audition is in order, albeit an expensive one. Has anyone been in this situation :)
i would not bother then as you do not want to lose £600 if you do not like them as that £600 is best spent on speakers you can demo without risk to your money .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
newlash09 said:

It is absolutely vital that you don't get carried away....and we've all been there.

Go and listen to various options...which is the ONLY WAY to get a grasp on "Sound per Pound".

My rule of thumb, is that all things being equal, you have to double the cost of a component to get a worthwhile improvement....and how much extra you are prepared to spend for the improvement you hear, is very personal.

You don't want to spend a fortune on a small improvement; but conversely, you don't want to spend the next year regretting that you didn't get the better component...and then changing it down the road at greater cost. It's a delicate balance and one that should be on your mind when you make the final decision.

To give a personal example:

When I was buying the Linn DS, I wasn't prepared to buy the Akurate DS at twice the price over the Majik DS; but when I was buying speakers, I thought the Kef 205/2s were worth the extra, over the 203/2s.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
newlash09 said:
At doubling the price for incremental improvements, is really a steep curve in this hobby.

The improvement I'm talking about, is where you would say...."I can now hear a clear and noticeable improvement" (rather than a tiny one).

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I had a quick look at Indian ebay to see if there was anything local worth buying, to save the trouble of importing.

In the Audio section there was a total of 49 used speakers for sale. None of them remotely worth buying. All of them junk.

German ebay on the other hand has 24,000 used speakers for sale at the moment under the Heim Audio section.

This reminded me of Russian people that I know that have come to the UK to live. They automatically assumed that anything 2nd hand would be trash and not worth buying. Russia simply doesn't have the charity shops, car boot sales, Freecycle and ebay culture that we have here. It's a big shock when they realise how much stuff - not just electronic goods like hi-fi but just about everything - can be bought in great condition at such low prices in the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts