ATC SCM40 new vs PMC 26 pre loved

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Vladimir said:
You are still normal. Give insanity time to set in and you'll be hearing minute/imagery differences as night and day like a true audiophile.
Hahaha, are these the early signs? Shortly followed by veils being lifted and even the wife hearing the difference...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
fCLylfP.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
You are still normal. Give insanity time to set in and you'll be hearing minute/imagery differences as night and day like a true audiophile.
Hahaha, are these the early signs? Shortly followed by veils being lifted and even the wife hearing the difference...

Enough spoilers for now. *biggrin*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was really keen on the opticon 8's. The enjoyable Dali sound , plus big bass drivers. Right up my street. Before I started, it was actually between the ATC SCM 40's and the Dali. But now that the offer of pmc's has come in, IAM too tempted because of the considerable saving I make. If I don't like them, I could pass them on for almost loss, so worth a punt I guess

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
There is never any end to expectations. The PMC's don't have to beat the concept 40's. They will actually be up against the q7000i's. But I would love to come back sometime and mention that veil being lifted.

D

Deleted member 108165

newlash09 said:
IAM really wondering what to upgrade next. I think my source is the weakest link. But I only have low quality mp3's mostly.

Any suggestions on what I should upgrade next are most welcome.

I'd be looking to upgrade the source quality first before spending all this money... low birate mp3's!! These will sound sh*t no matter how much you intend to spend on your hi-fi gear. Expensive kit ain't gonna make them sound any better!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
But I don't have many options. Will start buying CD's now. And will rip them to my Nas. Unfortunately most of the streaming sites in the west are not available in India. So I have to make do with low quality bit rates for now, till the powers that be realise that they are losing out on a 1.38 billion market.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I'd fully agree with what blacksabbath suggested. But it's an experiment IAM willing to indulge in. Pacey speakers are all I really need. And given the sizable discount it's too difficult to say no. And if I don't like them, I will pass the. On for the same money and start my hunt again.

D

Deleted member 108165

newlash09 said:
But I don't have many options. Will start buying CD's now. And will rip them to my Nas. Unfortunately most of the streaming sites in the west are not available in India. So I have to make do with low quality bit rates for now, till the powers that be realise that they are losing out on a 1.38 billion market.

Of course you have options... CDs. Personally I would have started with a sizeable CD collection before embarking on a hi-fi spending spree. Who needs streaming sites; streaming is not the be all and end all of hi-fi, my system is CD and vinyl based, the only streaming I do is from my ripped CD collection. I'm quite surprised that you are actually condidering such a huge spend when you haven't even heard what your current system is capable of. Don't want to p*ss on your parade but you might be pleasantly surprised by how your current system sounds when fed with decent recordings.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You are valid on that point. However when I play the same music on both my systems, I find my stereo setup wanting in pace. And it has taken me quiet a while to figure out that the bass is not keeping up with the rest of the score. Deep it may be but not exactly Pacey.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I seriously doubt there are no streaming services available in India. Google Play and Deezer are available for sure. Just buy a Google Play Chromecast Audio, subscribe 89 RS per month and enjoy music, no fuss and headaches. Works great with any android phone / tablet.

chromecast-audio.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
That chrome cast should go into the WXC-50 via digital out. And hope it gives me bliss in the process

The 3.5mm analogue audio is also an optical out so you can use the Yamaha as DAC. I personally use the CCA straigh since it has full 2Vrms voltage output, good enough for my ears. I also screen cast youtube through it from my phone which means even less clutter.

PS

You wouldn't call me Mr. if you knew how prolific I am in cursing in hindu. *wink*

insider9

newlash09 said:
That chrome cast should go into the WXC-50 via digital out. And hope it gives me bliss in the process
Do not buy Chromecast Audio. WXC-50 is far superior in every way. If you're on Android download BubbleUPnp you can then stream Google Play Music this way. It works really well. I used it for Tidal before Yamaha released firmware update to support Tidal and Deezer.

EDIT
If you're on iOS just Airplay it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Thanks for the heads up. But unfortunately streaming sites are almost non existent in India

Download the Google Play Music app and sign up for a trial period account, see how you like using it.

You can upload your own music on their servers and Google will stream it just like it's part of the catalogue.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Do not buy Chromecast Audio. WXC-50 is far superior in every way.

Loses on clutter, price, depreciation and its sonic advantages are only usefull to bats. What it does better is functionality, features.

JOIN THE DARK SIDE! *diablo*

google-chromecast-audio-news-fd.jpg

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:

Loses on clutter, price, depreciation and its sonic advantages are only usefull to bats. What it does better is functionality, features. 

JOIN THE DARK SIDE! *diablo*
Vladimir, I've owned both. Still own the Yamaha. Chromecast didn't last a day. The functionality of WXC-50 is not found on most streamers even few times the cost. It can do as much as Chromecast via DLNA, no problem. It also has Bluetooth (I don't use it), Airplay, far more in terms of preamp/dac and it just doesn't drop signal like Chromecast did. It has a USB playback, and a remote which I find really useful. I could go on and on. Hard to compare two products at nearly ten times the RRP.

The biggest advantage to Newlash09 is he already has one, so no advantage to buy CCA. There's nothing inherently wrong with CCA and it can be great value if it meets your needs.

Although if he feels like giving it a go he isn't risking much.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:

JOIN THE DARK SIDE! *diablo*
Vladimir, I've owned both. Still own the Yamaha. Chromecast didn't last a day. The functionality of WXC-50 is not found on most streamers even few times the cost. It can do as much as Chromecast via DLNA, no problem. It also has Bluetooth (I don't use it), Airplay, far more in terms of preamp/dac and it just doesn't drop signal like Chromecast did. It has a USB playback, and a remote which I find really useful. I could go on and on. Hard to compare two products at nearly ten times the RRP.

The biggest advantage to Newlash09 is he already has one, so no advantage to buy CCA. There's nothing inherently wrong with CCA and it can be great value if it meets your needs.

Although if he feels like giving it a go he isn't risking much.

IMO the Yamaha or any streamer, NAS etc. is pointless to someone who wants to casually spin some tracks on his phone for fun and not critical (read: anal) listening. To go the serious route you buy CDs or vinyl to experience the whole ritual. In these tech ADD times no one does one thing at a time.

I haven't experienced any issues with CCA even though I have suboptimal placement. Not one glitch, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

insider9

I appreciate it, Vladimir. That's why a forum is so useful. I'm glad your CCA works well. I really wanted mine to succeed as got in on offer for £20. Sadly it wasn't meant to be. I agree for casual listening is fantastic.

For more serious listening I prefer ripped CDs for their convenience and must admit Tidal HiFi isn't far off. Not sure I could tell the difference even though some streamed tracks are digitally watermarked. But it's all down to personal preference.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My friend checked the PMC's and auditioned them, and gave me the go ahead. Except for one small blemish at one small spot on the amarone finish, rest is all fine with them.

The speakers have arrived home today morning in two big wooden crates. And luckily I will only be home by sept end. So fondly hope mrs.newlash stops fuming by then.

I take this opportunity to thank one and all for their valuable time and suggestions, all very well intended of course.

I'd like to specially thank insider9, mr.vladimir, Nopiano, Al ears, Cno evil, andrewjvt, blacksabbath 25 and Rick for their advise.

This thread is finally closed now , and boy am I glad :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts