ATC SCM40 new vs PMC 26 pre loved

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
insider9 said:
He clearly thinks he's going to have issues selling them in the next 3 months at that asking price. That means they're likely to be there when you're back anyway without you paying him anything now. I'd wait until October and look to make a deal around £2,500 after full inspection and demo.

Would be crazy to give a non-refundable deposit to a guy you don't know based on something he said for a product you don't even know you'll like.

+1

Sounds very unusual....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Dear all..

Just to update on my speaker upgrade. My dealer has conveyed that he is getting considerable queries for the PMC's and sadly can't hold them back till October when I will be back in India to audition the same.

So I have a friend going over to his place to check out the speakers on Thursday. And if all is fine with them, I will be going ahead with the purchase.

The price of those pmc's is 9700 pounds new and considering that IAM getting them for 3200 pounds makes it a tempting deal. I could pass them on for not too much loss if I didn't like them. But I really hope they are all the speaker I ever need. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I hope it works out for you. They can certainly sound very nice with a bit of care over positioning. It's a shame you don't know someone whose brother has a Hi-Fi shop - to paraphrase one abiding memory from my only visit to India!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
But I really hope they are all the speaker I ever need.

That's the spirit.

78K806OHPM.gif

OK. Now taking bets what 'last upgrade' comes next.

- DAC / Streamer

- Cables

- CD

- TT

- Amp

- Speakers

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I very much doubt you will regret your decision *drinks*

The Twenty Sixes on the end of your Parasound will sound wonderful, I doubt you will ever need more.

You can now just enjoy the music without worrying about the equipment which is a very nice position to be in indeed, I know this from personal experience.*good*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Dear all..

Just to update on my speaker upgrade. My dealer has conveyed that he is getting considerable queries for the PMC's and sadly can't hold them back till October when I will be back in India to audition the same.

So I have a friend going over to his place to check out the speakers on Thursday. And if all is fine with them, I will be going ahead with the purchase.

The price of those pmc's is 9700 pounds new and considering that IAM getting them for 3200 pounds makes it a tempting deal. I could pass them on for not too much loss if I didn't like them. But I really hope they are all the speaker I ever need. Thanks again for all your suggestions.
There's a brand new pair on UK ebay for £4495. How much is the import duty from the UK to India?

This friend of yours, is he into hi-fi as much as you are?

Where in the world are you now if you're not in India? Just wondering if you're somewhere you get a decent deal on some speakers locally and then bring them back with you, even if you have to excess baggage and import duty?

Speakers are such a highly personal choice. For you they may well be worth £3200. For me they wouldn't be worth £200 as I'm really not into that kind of speaker - don't like the sound.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
IAM presently crossing the pacific from us to the fareast. Those PMC'S cost 11000 dollars in the us. So no savings if I buy them in the us too. I think 3200 pounds is the cheapest I could get them for.

Mr.valdimir you are spot on again. IAM really wondering what to upgrade next. I think my source is the weakest link. But I only have low quality mp3's mostly. And none of the popular streaming services are available in India yet. So really don't know where to go next. I have never heard a good system before. So I don't even know how things should sound. So IAM literally going blind here trying to upgrade everything I have. When completed my system should be Yamaha wxc-50 - parasound halo integrated - supra ply 3.4 (stupid of me to spend on cables too ) - PMC twenty 26.

:)

Any suggestions on what I should upgrade next are most welcome. IAM thinking of a turn table mostly. But I first have to see if there are any shops still alive and kicking in India that sell vinyl. Besides from what I gather in this forum, vinyl is a very expensive route to go to. And considering that I may not be able to procure too many records, it might be money ill spent.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
This friend of mine is also into hifi. And probably more experienced than me . Even if I auditioned those pmc's, I wouldn't know for sure if they are all fine. The import duty in India is 38%, so that makes them really expensive going the direct import route too.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
IAM presently crossing the pacific from us to the fareast. Those PMC'S cost 11000 dollars in the us. So no savings if I buy them in the us too. I think 3200 pounds is the cheapest I could get them for.

Mr.valdimir you are spot on again. IAM really wondering what to upgrade next. I think my source is the weakest link. But I only have low quality mp3's mostly. And none of the popular streaming services are available in India yet. So really don't know where to go next. I have never heard a good system before. So I don't even know how things should sound. So IAM literally going blind here trying to upgrade everything I have. When completed my system should be Yamaha wxc-50 - parasound halo integrated - supra ply 3.4 (stupid of me to spend on cables too ) - PMC twenty 26.

:)

Any suggestions on what I should upgrade next are most welcome. IAM thinking of a turn table mostly. But I first have to see if there are any shops still alive and kicking in India that sell vinyl. Besides from what I gather in this forum, vinyl is a very expensive route to go to. And considering that I may not be able to procure too many records, it might be money ill spent.

Why not buy a cheap or second hand Cd player or dvd player and use the digital out as a Cd transport and connect it to the Dac in your Parasound, you may be able to find a Cd transport only unit like the Cambridge audio CXC.

https://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players/cambridge-------/cxc/camb-cxc-blk

newlash09 said:
This friend of mine is also into hifi. And probably more experienced than me . Even if I auditioned those pmc's, I wouldn't know for sure if they are all fine. The import duty in India is 38%, so that makes them really expensive going the direct import route too.

There's a couple of very decent hifi speaker manufacturers actually in India. Worth an audition?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I've just made a sizable investment in a Nas setup. My plan is to rip CD's and play them through the Yamaha wxc-50. Had actually contemplated the CA cxc before. And IAM even considering the Sony hap z1es as source in the future. Probably next year. However if there are sonic gains to be had by going for a dedicated cd player. I could consider that too. Please let me know what you think.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
There are some good speakers manufacturers in India indeed. But at the risk of sounding really dumb, may I admit that I have never heard any system worth being called hifi before. So I really have no reference to compare things against. Besides I think I have cotton ears. I have three different setups at home, all at different price points and I struggle to make out the difference between each of them. As such I really depend on brands and reviews to give me the assurance that IAM hearing good stuff.

I know it sounds dumb. But sadly that's just me.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to the US, then you're going to the best country in the world for getting great deals on speakers.

Check out US ebay.

There must be a far better deal you can have there than the PMC's at £3200. Even after paying shipping costs and 38% duty.

Edit: and please do not buy anything on the basis of a magazine review. Nor on the basis of some fan boy raving about something on the web. And above all take no notice of manufacturer's claims and marketing.

When doing google research pay most attention to anyone that says negative things about any product and then think to yourself "Are these negative aspects I can live with?" If they are then there's a better chance you'd be happy if you bought it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Alas...it's too late to hold back on my purchase now. I've already committed to those pmc's and have a friend checking them out for me. I really have to ahead with the deal or loose out on those speakers completely. The dealer can't hold back till Oct given their current popularity in India. So I guess iam mostly sold unless there is a defect with them.

I honestly understand that you mean me good. But this is a blind plunge I have to take. Please wish me luck ;)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
" I really have to ahead with the deal or loose out on those speakers completely."

It is entirely your choice, of course.

If you want to buy them, go ahead.

BTW, what system does your friend have?

And no need to apologise. You have been perfectly polite throughout. I can really relate to the big buying situation you're in, having been there - sort of - myself (many years ago).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
There are some good speakers manufacturers in India indeed. But at the risk of sounding really dumb, may I admit that I have never heard any system worth being called hifi before. So I really have no reference to compare things against. Besides I think I have cotton ears. I have three different setups at home, all at different price points and I struggle to make out the difference between each of them. As such I really depend on brands and reviews to give me the assurance that IAM hearing good stuff.

I know it sounds dumb. But sadly that's just me.

You are still normal. Give insanity time to set in and you'll be hearing minute/imagery differences as night and day like a true audiophile.

Please share your taste in music, room size, music listening habbit.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a L shaped room. The front room is where I have the TV and the q7000i's in a 5.1 setup.

Then the room bends to the left to lead to the dining area. I will have the speakers firing down the dining area , placed 2 feet off the back wall. This room is 22 ft x11ft.

And I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly Pacey punk stuff like daft punk etc...

And both me and my wife are ardent music lovers. My system is always playing for atleast 12 hrs a day. We only stop when we have guests.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I have a L shaped room. The front room is where I have the TV and the q7000i's in a 5.1 setup.

Then the room bends to the left to lead to the dining area. I will have the speakers firing down the dining area , placed 2 feet off the back wall. This room is 22 ft x11ft.

And I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly Pacey punk stuff like daft punk etc...

And both me and my wife are ardent music lovers. My system is always playing for atleast 12 hrs a day. We only stop when we have guests.

Awesome, thx for sharing.

By rule of thumb the speakers you use for music should sound best positioned against the long wall (22 ft).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Buying speakers is a very personal choice like the choice of music you like but somebody' else might not like your choice of music that's why I said to you demo ages ago not somebody else I wouldn't buy the PMCs if it was me I think that you can buy some cracking speakers for half the amount of money that you want to spend on them PMCs but it's your choice .

you do not have to be a expert in knowing what you like if your ears like what it sounds like then your won the battle that's what it's about .

if thinking of more upgrading ones you buy theses PMCs there is point in buying a streammers if there is no streaming services in India then there not point in a streamers turntables are very expensive to match cd quality so your options are to buy a good CD player there's lots of life left in cds still and people are still buying them well I am anyway as I think cds sound great still .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts