ATC SCM40 new vs PMC 26 pre loved

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
True...I really can't just wait. 4 months back I was listening to the qacoustics concept 40's via a bluesound power node. And when I get back home next month, I will be unpacking and setting up the Yamaha wxc-50 with the parasound halo and pmc's. And I've also got a NAS setup to unpack and install. Really excited now. Don't know how much of a improvement it will be. So I plan to change one thing at a time to really sense the differences. Should keep me occupied for the next 3 months atleast. Probably that is what we all crave in this hobby, change :)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I bet you will find the pmc twenty 26 still will have more to give above and beyond the parasound if you do that, but whatever I'm sure the parasound will work really nice. Not sure about the pre amp you are using in that combo though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have made the 1 at a time plan before and failed it through too much excitement and 0% patience :)

Good luck and dont expect a miracle from day one - if you get it happy days.

If you dont, dont panic take your time and think about your setup as it might need to be a little different to how you had things before.

The better the system / kit the more it can highlight problems as opposed to simply fixing them.

Sometimes those problems are an easy fix - placement toe in etc. Take your time with the speaker positioing and get your tape measure out is the best advice I have recieved in ages

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks ellisdj for putting things into perspective. You are actually very right, that the system can sound very different to what IAM used to. Iam worried about the poor quality of my recordings showing up. And I have been used to generous thick doses of bass, expect it will be different there too. Will certainly play around for quiet sometime till IAM happy with it.

Hi questforthe13th note...thanks for the advise. Even iam sure that the PMC'S will put up a better showing by doing better than the halo. But the halo's main strength is its analogue bass management. I like my bass thick and low, and always wanted a 2.1 stereo setup. Nothing in the 2 channel market offers the bass management that the halo has. So when I feel the need for better or bigger amplification, will add poweramps as I go.

As regarding the preamp. If the PMC's have enough bass to eliminate the need for a sub, then I will use the Yamaha wxc-50 as premap and the halo as Poweramp for non critical listening. As I can then control the volume from the app itself.

However if I need to have the sub in place, then it is too many things to try and see which combination sounds best. As both the Yamaha and parasound have inbuilt DAC's, and both can act as preamps too. So lots of mix and match before I settle on one configuration I guess.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The pace of the bass in those pmcs is very tight and dynamic, such it could appear thinner to some bassy amps. But it's just so very real. If your amp is up to it, as it appears, you wont need a sub. The transmission line of those pmc's produces really low bass. Using a sub could be problematic too with speed matching issues. Try borrowing a much better pre and see what it does. If you are near me, I'd happily bring my pre around for you to try. I'm in West Sussex.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Your welcome

i hope you like the PMCs I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything for a while until you get to no your speakers and the rest of your setup I would work with your speakers now so if you have any issues with how it all sounds then I would be looking at a different amplifier not changing the speakers

but I would say your amplifier will be plenty powerful for thoses PMCs anyway but do not be a stranger on here you sound like a top bloke

enjoy! *smile*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Your welcome 

i hope you like the PMCs I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything for a while until you get to no your speakers and the rest of your setup I would work with your speakers now so if you have any issues with how it all sounds then I would be looking at a different amplifier not changing the speakers 

but I would say your amplifier will be plenty powerful for thoses PMCs anyway but do not be a stranger on here you sound like a top bloke  

enjoy! *smile*

Yes enjoy your new set up and stoo worrying about possible(non existing problems) before you have even listened to them.
I find it bad form from people here putting doubts in your head before youve even had a chance to listen.
Ignorance is bliss - the more the worry the more problems you'll find.
A lot in this hobby is all in the mind so try ignore a lot of comments on here about upgrades at this stage. Its just a way some people try and let you know they have a better set up so they can feel proud.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Your welcome

enjoy! *smile*

Yes enjoy your new set up and stoo worrying about possible(non existing problems) before you have even listened to them. I find it bad form from people here putting doubts in your head before youve even had a chance to listen. Ignorance is bliss - the more the worry the more problems you'll find. A lot in this hobby is all in the mind so try ignore a lot of comments on here about upgrades at this stage. Its just a way some people try and let you know they have a better set up so they can feel proud.

+1

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that, you made my day.

Even I was thinking on similar lines. The speakers are here to stay for a very long time. Will play around with Amps and source if required in the future. And in the meanwhile will just try to enjoy the music.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Your welcome

enjoy! *smile*

Yes enjoy your new set up and stoo worrying about possible(non existing problems) before you have even listened to them. I find it bad form from people here putting doubts in your head before youve even had a chance to listen. Ignorance is bliss - the more the worry the more problems you'll find. A lot in this hobby is all in the mind so try ignore a lot of comments on here about upgrades at this stage. Its just a way some people try and let you know they have a better set up so they can feel proud.

i agree it's all about the music and I wouldn't change anything too until you get to know it.

i don't agree it's about people saying they have better stuff. It's just if you've done lots of upgrades you know what is possible. Equally people could argue that people who make these comments may be jealous.

it might sound alright to you, that's all that matters, but if a tweak is needed I'm almost certain it will be the pre amp, as it's not often wise to match a £300 pre with speakers costing many thousands. But first you need to hear it of course.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Your welcome 

enjoy! *smile*

i agree it's all about the music and I wouldn't change anything too until you get to know it.

i don't agree it's about people saying they have better stuff. It's just if you've done lots of upgrades you know what is possible. Equally people could argue that people who make these comments may be jealous. 

it might sound alright to you, that's all that matters, but if a tweak is needed I'm almost certain it will be the pre amp, as it's not often wise to match a £300 pre with speakers costing many thousands. But first you need to hear it of course. 

Carry on trying to put doubts in his mind. I suppose it suits your purpose.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I'm not trying to put doubts in his mind, I'm a realist and I recognise system matching and I'm keen for people to really get best possible sq, hence why I suggested a test with a different pre - my pre. Unfortunately not possible due to distance.

If another pre amp is tested it's then possible to get a much better quality sound, I'd look at how to get there more cheaply and by various options, including discounts etc.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying to put doubts in his mind, I'm a realist and I recognise system matching and I'm keen for people to really get best possible sq, hence why I suggested a test with a different pre - my pre. Unfortunately not possible due to distance.

If another pre amp is tested it's then possible to get a much better quality sound, I'd look at how to get there more cheaply and by various options, including discounts etc. 

Keep going ja he now needs a better preamp to enjoy his music. Preferably one chosen by you. Have you even heard his new amp/speakers together in his room?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Keep going ja he now needs a better preamp to enjoy his music. Preferably one chosen by you. Have you even heard his new amp/speakers together in his room?

So unless I'm missing something, the Parasound Halo Integrated is an integrated amp with a pre section, so why are we getting hot under the collar about the Yamaha?

Surely anyone would be using the Parasound's pre and probably DAC too, with the Yamaha simply a source?

TRENDING THREADS