ATC SAI2-150 integrated or ATC CA-2 pre with the ATC P1 power or........

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All.

I am pretty well decided on going for the ATC SCM40 speakers and the obvious choice of amplifier would be either the ATC SAI2-150 integrated or ATC CA-2 pre with the ATC P1 power, so, two questions:

* Is the pre/power significantly better than the integrated?
* When spending 2500 pounds on an amplifier what else should be auditioned with ATC SCM40 speakers?

I really don’t want to include Naim in the equation as I’m not really in to their philosophy of constant tweaking and upgrading. Not that I don’t think Naim are a good company with excellent products I just feel that if I went that route I would be constantly bugged by the idea of adding power supplies, cables etc. I know many users a happy with naked Naim equipment but I also know myself too well!

Some suggestions would be appreciated as I would need to come to the U.K. to audition equipment as ATC are pretty thin on the ground in the Netherlands so I would like to compile a short list before planning a trip.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's always benefits to be had removing the low level signals of the pre-amp away from the large transformer and output devices of the power amplifier. The extra grip and control, along with the extra sense of power is exactly the sort of thing the ATC's thrive on.

Usually, I'd say it's down to the individual comparing the two and weighing up if the pre/power is worth the extra. In this case, the pre/power is so close in price to the integrated that I'd just go for it.

A

Anonymous

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, is there anything else that I could / should shortlist or is ATC amplification the best choice. I would like to get some comparisons when spending this much money.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
zekezebra:

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, is there anything else that I could / should shortlist or is ATC amplification the best choice. I would like to get some comparisons when spending this much money.
Have a listen to the Krell Kav 400xi if you can. Or used Krell equipment can be had cheap these days.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As far as integrated amplifiers are concerned, you could try out Naim's Supernait and Bryston's B60. But the general feeling from demo's we do is that ATC's SIA2-150 works the best with the SCM40's - and so it should!!

For pre/powers, try a naim NAC122xs and NAP200, which will give more grunt over the SuperNait, and the Cyrus PreXpd/X-Power combo.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i agree with david, if you've got the space for another box (i don't) the pre power seems a no brainer. the atc amps perfectly match the strengths of their speakers.

zekezebra:

Hi All.

I am pretty well decided on going for the ATC SCM40 speakers and the obvious choice of amplifier would be either the ATC SAI2-150 integrated or ATC CA-2 pre with the ATC P1 power, so, two questions:

* Is the pre/power significantly better than the integrated?
* When spending 2500 pounds on an amplifier what else should be auditioned with ATC SCM40 speakers?

I really don't want to include Naim in the equation as I'm not really in to their philosophy of constant tweaking and upgrading. Not that I don't think Naim are a good company with excellent products I just feel that if I went that route I would be constantly bugged by the idea of adding power supplies, cables etc. I know many users a happy with naked Naim equipment but I also know myself too well!

Some suggestions would be appreciated as I would need to come to the U.K. to audition equipment as ATC are pretty thin on the ground in the Netherlands so I would like to compile a short list before planning a trip.

Hi zekezebra

The SCM40's are excellent speakers which have a vast performance potential. They feature a massively engineered bass unit and the equally massive and stunning studio Soft Dome unit which is capable of covering 300hz to 4khz. The Soft Dome unit achieves an exceptionally broad and even dispersion, so the reverberant soundfield matches the on axis sound which results in a flat frequency response almost anywhere in the room!
emotion-1.gif
You should be happy with these.

The Naim ampilifcation is excellent and one that also works well with ATC speakers and the amps are perfectly capable on their own.

The ideal and possibily easiest choice is the ATC amplification as the SIA2-150 MK2 and CA2/P1 have the performance with the high current and damping factor to keep their (and most other) speakers in check. The CA2/P1 combination is superior to the SIA2-150 MK2 however the difference is subtle. The big difference comes by adding the P1 to the SIA2-150 MK2 and bi-amping the speakers.
emotion-2.gif
Something that i also want to add is that the SIA2-150mk2 has a rounder feel to the sound whereas the CA2/P1 combination is more direct.

The SIA2-150 mk2 is my best selling ATC amplifier and one that is also used by some of my clients (with their ATC speakers) and fellow forum members Craig M., martinattullymet and (soon) benharley. If you are also still looking at a DAC than i will suggest that you opt for the SIA2-150 MK2 put the savings towards the Chord Electronics QBD76 (you might be able to pick up a demo/display unit) as it is a truly stunning source and one which will go further than most in helping open up the performance potential of those ATC drive units (particularly the studio Soft Dome). The SIA2-150 MK2, QBD76 and SCM40/ATC speakers is an excellent combination and one that i do well with.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I can certainly vouch for the massive potential of the SCM40's.

Also, the QBD76 is a great partner to the ATC's and its ability to squeeze unbelievable sound performance from CD & digital files is really quite astonishing. I don't know many people who've heard it who haven't bought one or started saving!

The QBD76 and Spotify is a magnificent and addictive partnership

crimsondonkey:

I can certainly vouch for the massive potential of the SCM40's.

Also, the QBD76 is a great partner to the ATC's and its ability to squeeze unbelievable sound performance from CD & digital files is really quite astonishing. I don't know many people who've heard it who haven't bought one or started saving!

The QBD76 and Spotify is a magnificent and addictive partnership
emotion-2.gif

hi crimsondonkey

Good post.
emotion-1.gif
I am shocked to read your comments about the QBD76.
emotion-2.gif
Actually thinking about it not really.
emotion-4.gif
I wonder where else the QBD76 will land
emotion-5.gif

Thanks for your support.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MattSPL:

Does the QBD76 need a really good transport to work at its best?
And how much better is it than the Dac64?

Cheers

Hi MattSPL

The QBD76 is not too critical about transport. For the last two years i have mostly used the NAD C542/C545BEE as transports with excellent results.

The QBD76 is significantly better than the already superb DAC64 in ease of use, connectivity, technology and above all performance (in practically every area). You will not look back with the QBD76 in your system. A fantastic piece of engineering.
emotion-1.gif

Chord Electronics inspires confidence.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Mattspl, I use the following as 'transports' -

1. Macbook

2. Macmini

3. Cyrus CD8X (increasingly less so)

4. Iphone (via bluetooth)

I would really urge you to get an audition - its really something special. When I bought mine I posted a review on here in the computer audio section here:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/282978.aspx

Since then a few other members have 'discovered' the QBD76 for themselves (or with the help of Rick!).

A

Anonymous

I use a Luxman L507f integrated with my SCM35's with good effect. They are around 130wpc with a damping factor of 110. So not as powerful as the ATC's, but they do benefit from an excellent phono stage and balanced inputs all in one box.

The more recent 507 model is quite a bit out of your budget, but the L505U is around £2700 I think and should do a similar job. I haven't heard an ATC integrated with my speakers so can't compare i'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS