Atc scm19 mk1 &musical fidelity m6i- too much bass!???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
+1 for DSpeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0.

I use it and honestly wouldn't be without it now. Its amazing just how much it cleans up the bottom end.

SteveR750

wilro15 said:
+1 for DSpeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0.

I use it and honestly wouldn't be without it now. Its amazing just how much it cleans up the bottom end.

Just been reading about it, how does it work. I can't quickly find that part on their website. I'm guessing it must have some kind of tone / recording / calibration sweep to be able to make the correction? There's a lot of functionality I wouldn't need; the DAC for example. TBH, J River has a comprehensive room correction DSP option, but I've never got round to experimenting with it, partly because I don't have the means to measure the test tone response

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
davedotco said:
I have always been an advocate that less bass is better than bad bass, but this device may well give me both,

What, less bass and bad bass?

Given my luck, that is the likely option.....*fool*

One thought that keeps coming back to me is what happened when I experimented with a system that had the original Tact Millenium at it's core. This was my first experience with room eq via DSP and although the operation was complex, requiring a laptop and proprietry software the results were pretty impressive.

Pickledonion

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, in conclusion. I now have a back wall partially covered in monster bass panels and this has made a big difference. However, the one thing I have come to realise is just how fussy these ATC 19s are and how much they interact with the room (I have no idea why). First I moved the (digital) piano. That was a revalation and removed a lot of boom. Then I increased the toe in to great effect. Then came the panels. Using some as corner bass traps made the atcs sound so lean I could barely believe it. I wondered if this was the sound that some people have achieved that has put them off ATC. With all panels back on the back wall the issue was overpowering lower midrange and particularly female vocals - I really like Ameliana Torrini but she was giving me a headache. Toe in reduced again and result! I have never had such fussy boxes in this room and I've had a few. So no, it wasn't the amp (which I actually really like now). And with other speakers it's probably not simply the room. As much of a pain in the posterior as these ATCs are, they are great when positioned correctly. It's been a bit of a marathon effort, but all seems well right now. I could have easily spent a lot of money changing equipmen. Thats what I've done in the past perhaps unnecessarily and I'm sure that's what often happens to other people. ATC told me room treatment and correct positioning would be the biggest upgrade possible. They were absolutely right.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good job.

Some rooms seem to take a lot more effort than others.....especially if you are fussy about getting the sound right.

SteveR750

Very surprising, its not usual for a sealed box to be so hard to set up. Mine were nothing like that, and I moved them around a lot, and made only small differences. Gald you got them sorted though, well worth the effort.

Pickledonion

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You were bang on the money from the word go cnoevil. I am surprised that a sealed box has been such an effort to get right, but there we go. All's well that ends well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts