Arcam Solo Mini - questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having read a number of glorious reviews I'm considering getting it as my next system. However, I've also come across reports about slot-loading CD players scratching CDs. Can any current owners comment on this in regard to Solo Mini? Also, do you find slot-loading more convenient than traditional tray-loading in day-to-day use?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had one and its built very well and always operated immaculately.

Try and get a view on which speakers to get it with, I used it with Monitor Audio BR1s, for more vocal & smoother music it was excellent, but with the heavier music that I predominately play it always seemed half a step behind. Definitely won't be only systm like thisout there though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments guys... so I guess no danger here. Still trying to decide between the Mini and Marantz M-CR603 though, lack of AirPlay and Internet radio in the former making it difficult to pick a clear winner here... decisions, decisions!

Onix

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I had both at the same time (for comparison)....Arcam Solo Mini and Denon D-M37. It's hard to believe...but (for me) Denon is much better in many ways: Aluminum front (Arcam has plastic one!!!), better navigation trough menus (especially using USB port!), better remote controller, better FM, better display and the most important....there's no (any) SIGNIFICANT AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE to justify Arcam's, nearly four times higher price!

Conclusion: Arcam Solo Mini is totally overrated!!!

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Arcam Solomini has aluminium front. So you are wrong. Never had a chance to compare but used to have Denon (good one!) and my friend still has Solomini. Arcam has much better sound quality.Fancy look and superb built quality. My vote for Arcam. No doubt.

Onix

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Wrong.....it's thick plastic, coated with silver paint! You wanna bet? ;-) Try to "knock" on the front, try to scratch (inner side)....whatever.....and you'll see! I respect your vote for Arcam but buying Solo Mini is wasting money if you skip Denon!!! Be free to do blind test, with same speakers, cables and "come back" to confirm your statement...."Arcam has much better sound quality"!;-) Fancy but non-practical.....buttons on the top?!

A

Anonymous

Just goes to show reviews are (to a degree) subjective, at least in the "what sounds better" department... anyhow going back to my alternative choice, Marantz M-CR603, what speakers would be the best match? Going by the reviews here I have picked Tannoy Mercury V1, would that be a good choice? Marantz has 6 ohm outputs and the speakers are 8 ohms, is this going to be a problem?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
areluc:Just goes to show reviews are (to a degree) subjective, at least in the "what sounds better" department... anyhow going back to my alternative choice, Marantz M-CR603, what speakers would be the best match? Going by the reviews here I have picked Tannoy Mercury V1, would that be a good choice? Marantz has 6 ohm outputs and the speakers are 8 ohms, is this going to be a problem?

Well as Mr E has often commented, the Marantz can drive some serious speakers and has suggested options reaching up to nearly £1,000 (his opinions, not mine, as I've never heard the Marantz or seriously listened to speakers at that price level).

As excellent as I'm sure the Tannoy's are (I had their predecessors the Mercury F1 Customs with my then Denon DM37 and loved them), if your budget allows I would seriously try to look at speakers above that level if at all possible. As with all these things, though, do get out to listen.

P.S. - No impedance problems with the Tannoy's.

manicm

Onix:

I had both at the same time (for comparison)....Arcam Solo Mini and Denon D-M37. It's hard to believe...but (for me) Denon is much better in many ways: Aluminum front (Arcam has plastic one!!!), better navigation trough menus (especially using USB port!), better remote controller, better FM, better display and the most important....there's no (any) SIGNIFICANT AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE to justify Arcam's, nearly four times higher price!

Conclusion: Arcam Solo Mini is totally overrated!!!

You are wrong - I have the Mini too which has a *slight chip* on the front corner and it's clearly not plastic.

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's a plastic front... Arcam do state "all metal casework" in the specs so if it is plastic, they're lying.

Regarding the OP's question, the slot loader is nice, but it does make a pretty horrible 'grinding' noise when it gets to the end of a CD (laser returning to the start). Or is that just mine? Hmmm...

It's a great sounding unit though, easily beating my Rotel RA-01 Amp + RCD-02 CD Player combo.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:Well as Mr E has often commented, the Marantz can drive some serious speakers and has suggested options reaching up to nearly £1,000 (his opinions, not mine, as I've never heard the Marantz or seriously listened to speakers at that price level).

I auditioned the Marantz M-CR603 with MA RX-1s against the Roksan Kandy K2 with MA RX-1s this week. The sound from the M-CR603 was much less articulate and clear than the Roksan K2. My wife immediately used the word 'muddy'. I have no doubt the Marantz is an impressive unit, but the Roksan really made the RX-1s sing, and the Marantz didn't.

Regards

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Well holy crapola. Having just read this thread again, I decided to just check if my Solo Mini was scratching my discs. Ya know, just to be sure it isn't...

Well, IT IS SCRATCHING MY DISCS!!! Badly, too!

For gods sake. I've already been through two rDac's (DOA), and now this? That's two Arcam products I've bought, both faulty.

Back to the shop it goes. NOT happy.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
K2 vs 603 - hardly comparable in my opinion. Not sure what the source was when you heard it, but with an appropriate source (K2 CDS for example), this system won't give much change from 2 grand when Marantz is a 350-quid micro, albeit a good one at that...

Anyways, we're digressing from the original post.

manicm

ReValveiT:

Well holy crapola. Having just read this thread again, I decided to just check if my Solo Mini was scratching my discs. Ya know, just to be sure it isn't...

Well, IT IS SCRATCHING MY DISCS!!! Badly, too!

For gods sake. I've already been through two rDac's (DOA), and now this? That's two Arcam products I've bought, both faulty.

Back to the shop it goes. NOT happy.

Funny, cos I have my Solo Mini for 2 years and have no such problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts