apple tv hard drive upgrade

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i havnt done any research on the web into this yet but i thought i would ask here first to see if any ones tried this yet.

im still good for about another 40 gig so i should be ok for another 5 to 6 months but i thought it might be worth getting a bit of info on and maybe chosing a drive.

any advice from anyone whos done this would be great

im not a tech expert but i have done both my ps3s and built my own computer so i have a basic knowledge.

daveh75

There's plenty of software hacks(both commercial and Free) that 'enable' the usb port,to allow connection of external drives rather than having to open the unit up and replace the drive........

Here is one example of a tutorial/free hack

ATVFlash is a commercially available hack,though IIRC JD tried this and doesn't do ALL it claims to.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
thanx pj.

had a little read it would seem i need a mac to do this.(would a cheap used mac mini work,or an old mac laptop ,ive seen a recon of one of the old cam shell types for about £100)

also what kinda hard drive would you recomend it takes a 2.5 and i think a 5400rpm,would a 7200 be an upgrade and also what other kinda stats should i look for,silent runing is important.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:There's plenty of software hacks(both commercial and Free) that 'enable' the usb port,to allow connection of external drives rather than having to open the unit up and replace the drive........

Have you done this with your ATV?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
nodnarb4444:
thanx pj.

had a little read it would seem i need a mac to do this.(would a cheap used mac mini work,or an old mac laptop ,ive seen a recon of one of the old cam shell types for about £100)

also what kinda hard drive would you recomend it takes a 2.5 and i think a 5400rpm,would a 7200 be an upgrade and also what other kinda stats should i look for,silent runing is important.

Seems it needs a PATA drive?

If you scroll down the page, one or two recomend a different approach to the OP. One or two question whether this is really a trivial upgrade (as suggested by the OP).

I have no experience with ATV. My advice would be, if you can use an external HDD, then do so.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
thanx dave that could be an option,i would rather keep it all in one unit but that might be easier.

how would it work would it fill the internal first then start on the external(this might make it run badly)or could you keep the internal emtyish and save mostly on to the external drive.

daveh75

PJPro:daveh75:There's plenty of software hacks(both commercial and Free) that 'enable' the usb port,to allow connection of external drives rather than having to open the unit up and replace the drive........

Have you done this with your ATV?Mine is hacked,but i didn't do the hack,it was given to me pre-hacked by my BIL!!!

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:nodnarb4444:

thanx pj.

Seems it needs a PATA drive? If you scroll down the page, one or two recomend a different approach to the OP. One or two question whether this is really a trvial upgrade. I have no experience with ATV. My advice would be, if you can use an external HDD, then do so.

i must admit pj it did seem a little more involved than the ps3,that was esayer than i thougt it would be.

daveh75

nodnarb4444:how would it work would it fill the internal first then start on the external(this might make it run badly)or could you keep the internal emtyish and save mostly on to the external drive.Not sure if it's the same for all hacks,but with mine,the ATV internal drive became completely redundant-The ATV now only see's the external drive,if that makes sense.......

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
yeah that sounds good,as if the internal was maxed it would probably get a bit clunky.

so if i can hack it i would just have to find a decent external.does the external show up in the apple menu.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts