Anybody been Record Shopping today?

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I remember the first Selectadisc on Arkwright Street in Nottingham...I'd be about 14 and I bought the Island sampler, 'You Can All Join In' and 'The **** Of The Mothers'. It was a brillliant record shop and I always found them far and away the cheapest. Why anybody ever went to Virgin or HMV is beyond me.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I remember the first Selectadisc on Arkwright Street in Nottingham...I'd be about 14 and I bought the Island sampler, 'You Can All Join In' and 'The **** Of The Mothers'. It was a brillliant record shop and I always found them far and away the cheapest. Why anybody ever went to Virgin or HMV is beyond me.

Back in the day, Virgin stocked pretty much everything I was looking for
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I used to go to the Selectadisc in Berwick Street, fantastic shop. It's now a Sister Ray (I think), and it's still good, but it's no Selectadisc.

There were, and still are some great record shops down that part of the smoke. I also used to go to Sounds Of The Universe, a couple of 2nd hand places, and just around the corner in Poland Street there was the Mr Bongo shop.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Mick Pointer Band Marillion's "Script" Revisited (Ltd 2 x Purple Vinyl)
wp6d62ab45_05_06.jpg

Slowly getting into Arena and dismissed this as a sad rip off (admittedly without listening) Watched some youtube clips of a MPB live performance of Grendel and was blown away hence this purchase.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Forbidden World OST - Susan Justin (Death Waltz - blue/black splatter vinyl)

Halloween II OST - Howarth/Carpenter (Death Waltz - orange/black splatter vinyl - new issue)

Halloween III OST - Howarth/Carpenter (Death Waltz - black/orange splatter vinyl - new issue)

They Live OST - Howarth/Carpenter (Death Waltz - purple/blue splatter vinyl)

House Of The Devil OST - Jeff Grace (Death Waltz - translucent red vinyl)

City Of The Living Dead OST - Fabio Frizzi (blue vinyl)

Let The Right One In OST - Johan Soderqvist (Death Waltz - white vinyl)

The Hook & Pull Gang (Texas Chainsaw Massacre re-score) - Antoni Maiovvi & Umberto (Death Waltz Originals- coloured vinyl)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Inside The Pleasure Dome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Sneer if you will, but it was a big album when I was growing up, and the 20 minute track on the first side of the album is fantastic. Probably the most in depth box set I've seen for a single album.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Inside The Pleasure Dome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Sneer if you will, but it was a big album when I was growing up, and the 20 minute track on the first side of the album is fantastic. Probably the most in depth box set I've seen for a single album.

nowt wrong with that - still a masterpiece - I play it regular

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Got a bit bored working from home, so paid an impromptu visit to my local vinyl emporium... *biggrin*

+1 for the FGTH album. It has some superb music on it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Got an original copy of Depeche Mode - Black Celebration from a Charity Shop for £1 today.

Record doesn't look the best, so I just gave it a test spin, and it has more crackles and pops than the fireworks outside. Time to get the Knosti out.

Edit: Played pretty well after the clean. Good for a pound anyway.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just ordered this on orange vinyl, which should look lovely on my turntable.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Just ordered this on orange vinyl, which should look lovely on my turntable.

I have to confess that I just don't get the appeal of Flaming Lips at all; I understand why most bands are popular even if I don't much care for them, but not this lot.

With apologies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts