Amps for the KEF R500 ?

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I'll shortly be auditioning various amp and speaker combinations and will be starting off with the KEF R500 floorstaners.

I will also have to decide if I'm going down an "all-in-one" route with something like the Uniti 2, or similar, rather than an integrated amp and seperate streamer and or DAC.

Before I try them out, are there any opinions on the folowing matched with the KEF's......

Arcam A19

Arcam A28

Audiolab 8200

Naim XS 2

Rega Elicit-R

Naim Uniti 2

Naim Unitilite (is this up to the job?)

TIA

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For me, the standout amp from your list would be the Elicit R.

If you get the chance, you should try Electrcompaniet (ECI-3)......and for an all in one, I really liked the R500s with the Linn Majik DSM, which I wrote about here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-kef-regaand-a-friend

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I own a pair of R500s and love them to bits.

Before I bought them I auditioned a number of speakers and was struggling to find anything I thought I could live with or that justified an equivalent or often greater price tag.

As soon as I heard the R500s I knew the search was over. They were everything I wanted and sounded even better once I got them home.

I matched mine with a Leema Elements Amp and find they go to go exceptionally well.

I would also like to hear the R500s with the Elicit R as I've read a lot good things about the combination but I'm incredibly happy with what I chose and can't think what the Rega could do to bring an improvement.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The most popular choice at the moment is the a Elicit-R. I'd also look at the Primare I22 and Rotel RA1570. A UnitiLite will drive them, just not to their capabilities.

Hi David,

How would you describe the difference in sound between the R500s being driven by the Elicit R and the Leema Elements amp?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Whe I was on the look out for KEF LS50 I ahve heard (true or false) that KEFs main testing amplifier was electrocompaniet ( ithink I have read it in an interview of one of KEF's guys). So I guess it says something....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
inbox4 said:
Hi David,

How would you describe the difference in sound between the R500s being driven by the Elicit R and the Leema Elements amp?

I've not done a side by side comparison, but there's just something about the Elicit-R/R500 combo that really works well. I would need to try them side by side to really comment properly.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
With Eilicit - R money, you should definitely check out an Arcam A38 as it pairs beautifully with Kef speakers and is in a different league to the 19 and 28...The R500s are very much on my wish list now and I have no intention of changing my amplifier...

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
As I'm also looking at the all-in-one option, another possible combination that has just come onto my radar is the Uniti 2 and Focal Aria 926.
There is currently a Naim special deal which bundles these speakers with the Uniti 2. saving up to £800 (on the gloss black finish).

I appreciate that the Aria's are fairly new, but does anyone know how they compare with the KEF R500's?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
As I'm also looking at the all-in-one option, another possible combination that has just come onto my radar is the Uniti 2 and Focal Aria 926. There is currently a Naim special deal which bundles these speakers with the Uniti 2. saving up to £800 (on the gloss black finish). I appreciate that the Aria's are fairly new, but does anyone know how they compare with the KEF R500's?

I have a view that is fairly strong and would worry it might stop you listening for yourself, but since you asked -

I don't like Naim and I don't like Focal, and when put together IMO they sound even worse......here is my experience when I went to a Focal / Naim promo weekend: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/shows/belfast-show

I much prefer Kef R Series, which are much more adaptable, in that they sound good with any amp they are matched with. IMO. Focal need to be matched with Valves, Class A or brands like Electrocompaniet or Audio Analogue.

I strongly suggest you try a Linn DS with the R series, before making your decision.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I have a view that is fairly strong and would worry it might stop you listening for yourself, but since you asked -

I don't like Naim and I don't like Focal, and when put together IMO they sound even worse......

Thank you. I followed the link and read your review.

Have you read Andrew Everard's review of these Aria's?

http://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/review-focal-aria-926-loudspeakers/

Naim is definately a Marmite job. Of course I will have to give them a listen, along with the KEF's and other amps, to find out for myself.

I heard a Linn DS about a year ago (Akurate I think?) playing through some expensive Shahinian's (I'm not sure- they may have been Arc's?).

I thought the result was rather bland and disappointing. I don't know if that was the fault of the Linn, the Shahinian's or the combination?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Thank you. I followed the link and read your review.

Have you read Andrew Everard's review of these Aria's?

http://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/review-focal-aria-926-loudspeakers/

Naim is definately a Marmite job. Of course I will have to give them a listen, along with the KEF's and other amps, to find out for myself.

I heard a Linn DS about a year ago (Akurate I think?) playing through some expensive Shahinian's (I'm not sure- they may have been Arc's?).

I thought the result was rather bland and disappointing. I don't know if that was the fault of the Linn, the Shahinian's or the combination?

Yes, I read AE's review......but in all these things, I always make up my own mind, since I know exactly what I like and generally understand how to achieve it. I found the sound from the Arias in combination with Naim XS stuff sounded pretty awful, and I wasn't the only one......I was sitting beside a Naim owner who wasn't enjoying it much either (he used Quad Electrostatics).

FWIW. I owned a Naim 42/110/Snaps along with a LP12 back in the 80s and loved the synergy between the two......so i have nothing against Naim per se.

Up to quite recently, I had never enjoyed Linn amps, but I have now found that they do seem to have great synergy with the Kef R Series.

IMO The DS makes a great source fronting up a system you already know and like...I can't comment on the Shahinians, as I've never had the opportunity to hear them, but I do know them by reputation.

As in all these things, please check out what I'm saying, as you may not agree.

Good luck with it, and keep us in the loop.

Cno

Vampa

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I own a pair of R500s. I have listened to them with:

- Rega Brio-R, which I previously owned. Very good amp for the price. Two cons for me: it requires about 45 mins each time (even leaving it always on) to warm up, and it sounds terribly when cold, and the sound is a bit fatiguing for me for long sessions.

- Rega Elicit-R. Same type of sound as the Brio-R with more control and power, although I did not really see such a difference to cost the triple.

- Naim XS 2. Smoother sound than with the Elicit-R but a bit boring, certainly less engaging.

- Simaudio Moon 250i. Better than the previous two but still not a clear step-up from the Brio-R. A bit short of power too.

- Simaudio Moon 340i. The best one of them all by far. Controlled, defined and powerful.

The 340i is clearly the most expensive, the new version retailing for 3.5 k£, which is more than the double of the R500s, which seems unbalanced. However, if you are able to get the previous version (which has the same technical characteristics) for a bit more than 2 k£, could be a good option.

Regards.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I really think the OP should narrow it down to 2-3 amps, picking those that suit his needs in terms of inputs/phono stage & features etc.

Here is my pennys worth.....

the Elicit R is a different beast to the Brio R - yes its more controlled and is effortless when you push the volume. Its a very transparent and open presentation so you will need a quality source and it will show up a poor recording, however chosse your media well and this amp excels.

Yes i did demo the Nait XS2 too and again a lovely amp, however i found it a little thick on the bass and the lack of phono stage put it behind the Elicit R.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts