Amp ideas for PMC TB2+ ?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm entering into the (long) process of upgrading and due to location am unable to demo easily but will do once settled here. In the interim I thought I'd try some stuff at the new home.

Secured what I believe to be a bargain in a new pair of PMC TB2+ standmounts. I'll need stands anyway as I'm hoping to home audition a fair few sets, so recommendations please.

I'm mainly searching for amplification for these speakers. I'm thinking Creek Evo 2. A Cyrus 6xp I already have, also considering, if can demo, Bryston Powerpac to turn them active. Something that will get the most of what I believe to be some excellent monitors. If it turns out the speakers aren't quite for me, I'll sell them. Not after an extensive list as in my other thread I have lots of recommendations, speakers too.

This time its for the PMCs only and possibly only temporarily.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Good call Cno *biggrin*

Here is another ECI 3 that is a couple of years old and a bit cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrocompaniet-ECI-3-Quality-Stereo-Amplifier-Boxed-Remote-Warranty-/121460451479?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1c479b6897

The Bryston powerpacks are another very good idea but they are very hard to find second hand and new are £ 1650 a pair for the powerpack 60's .

http://hifilounge.co.uk/bryston-powerpac-60-monaural-amplifier

Alternativley ou could try an Abrahamsen V2.0 integrated amp that is designed and made by the same person who designed the Ellectrocompaniet ECI3 and was one of the founders of Electrocompaniet , he started a new company around ten years ago , the V2.0 integrated amp sells at the very reasonable price of just under £500 .

http://abrahamsenaudio.no/produkter.asp#p6

They are quite similar in design and performance to the Electro amps but they are sold direct via online order so they are subject to the distance selling regulations and the protection that affords .

Any of these three recommendations will drive the TB2+ perfectly with plenty of power and control , the TB2's are fantastic speakers capable reproducing music that sounds life like and real .*smile*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Depends on whether you want new or used. If you plump for used, you won't get any better for the price than this.

New, then look at Arcam, Creek, Naim and Leema Elements, although the latter I've not had the privilege.

*EDIT* I would wait and look for the 'i' version rather than the +. The 'i' have a more refined treble. I like refinement.

Too late, re the speakers. At less than half price I'm happy to take a gamble on them.

I would prefer new but I'm actually watching that Leema myself and am hovering around the BIN button.

Its that old devil, called OCD agaiiiin.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
CnoEvil said:

That's interesting as I had my eye on a PI-1. Unsure of the difference but it'd be a blind purchase either way. I might just take a chance on one of these.

The same crowd have the PI-2 (ex-dem), for similar money to the ECI-3.

Electro (who contributed above) is the real expert.....but the ECI-3 and 5 are more "old school" Electrocompaniet and are a little richer and chocolatey. The PIs are more "modern" with a livelier more upbeat presentation, with less richness.

Whether you like these speakers will depend on how well they are driven, as they will show up any weaknesses upstream....PMC stands for Professional Monitor Company, so is designed to be revealing.

If you are buying blind, I'd go ECI-3.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
@Electro. Tried to quote but site says I'm spam. Thanks. I can see you're already a fan of the combination. I've seen the Bryston PPs for sale but yes, they don't hang around long and aren't cheap. I'm looking at an Electro PI-1 also. Do these compare with the mentioned EC?

I look forward to hearing the PMCs with the amp I have then with any (hopefully all) of these other amps

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
max337 said:
CnoEvil said:

That's interesting as I had my eye on a PI-1. Unsure of the difference but it'd be a blind purchase either way. I might just take a chance on one of these.

The same crowd have the PI-2 (ex-dem), for similar money to the ECI-3.

Electro (who contributed above) is the real expert.....but the ECI-3 and 5 are more "old school" Electrocompaniet and are a little richer and chocolatey. The PIs are more "modern" with a livelier more upbeat presentation, with less richness.

Whether you like these speakers will depend on how well they are driven, as they will show up any weaknesses upstream....PMC stands for Professional Monitor Company, so is designed to be revealing.

If you are buying blind, I'd go ECI-3.

Thanks. I'm flying blind and therefore appreciate the guidance. Shall get on that now. Fed up looking when want to be listening.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
@Electro. Tried to quote but site says I'm spam. Thanks. I can see you're already a fan of the combination. I've seen the Bryston PPs for sale but yes, they don't hang around long and aren't cheap. I'm looking at an Electro PI-1 also. Do these compare with the mentioned EC?

I look forward to hearing the PMCs with the amp I have then with any (hopefully all) of these other amps

FWIW. (If possible) with those speakers, I'd go ECI-3 or PI-2 in order to do the speakers justice.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
max337 said:

FWIW. (If possible) with those speakers, I'd go ECI-3 or PI-2 in order to do the speakers justice.

*good*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
(Drums fingers on chin) *boredom*

:D

If it's a good amp, it's a good amp. To my ears of any course. I wouldn't pay that price unless it was awesome.

Awesome is subjective.

If it's ultimate VFM you are after, PPs suggestion is very hard to beat.

Saying that, if you have the funds (and a decent source), the Electro is (imo) the way to go, given its abilities and synergy with PMC.

You pays your money and you takes your choice....it's very hard being someone else's ears!

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh I know. Someone else would hear my stereo differently to me. It's not just the equipment.

I wouldn't buy blindly. If I see a bargain then I'll try it. Sell it on if it's unsuitable. Just shortlisting. I'll be trying all of the suggestions, where possible. Then still, it's not all in my own room, which makes a difference.

More seriously, Electros are good amps but put side-by-side with the Pulse, I'll be surprised if there was a big difference.

The Pulse purrs effortlessly with my TB2is. And contrary to some reviews (and naysayers on here, Cno excluded), the Pulse has a lively sound, where it brings music to life... never strays, however, into harshness or brightness.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
More seriously, Electros are good amps but put side-by-side with the Pulse, I'll be surprised if there was a big difference.

The Pulse purrs effortlessly with my TB2is. And contrary to some reviews (and naysayers on here, Cno excluded), the Pulse has a lively sound, where it brings music to life... never strays, however, into harshness or brightness.

If the OP can dem both with the PMCs (which will be tricky), it will be straight forward. If taking a punt, then things change....you rightly said that the OP's version is less refined sounding than the "i" version, so the richer tones of the ECI-3 would probably be a safer bet (imo).

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both. I should probably halt around about here as I'm yet to demo and am giving myself way too much to do. I need a system now and so hopefully the Cyrus and the PMC combo is good enough to last me until I find some dealers. Then the fun begins.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I vote Bryston.
hide.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
max337 said:
Thanks both. I should probably halt around about here as I'm yet to demo and am giving myself way too much to do. I need a system now and so hopefully the Cyrus and the PMC combo is good enough to last me until I find some dealers. Then the fun begins.

You may find you are quite happy with the cyrus. It's not exactly a bad amplifier ... .

When Hifi World tested it it came first against some quite interesting products and it can easily partner speakers more expensive than the PMC.

It probably boils down to how loud you listen to your music.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
As you know i had a Leema and PP is right i dont think he would recomend it so much if it were not a bargin! its a briliant amp at a bargin price at £440 i noticed hardley any differance when i upgraded to a Sugden A21SE. Buy it dont like it sell it for £440 again easy. Having said that i would also like to try the Electro i really like the look, somthing i could not say about the Leema.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
I vote Bryston.

The Impaler has risen from his box. Why Bryston? (Dreading the answer.)

In his previous thread the OP said he had £2k for amp and speakers.

I can give you and Cno both insulting nicknames if that is the new way of communicating on this forum. But considering I prefer to give a positive example, I won't do it.

Now, why a Bryston? Because they can be had under 1K second hand and because they are very speaker impedance ignorant. They simply do the job, they are well made and will last a long time. VFM, check. Power, check. Durability, check. Therefore, why not.

TRENDING THREADS