Amp ideas for PMC TB2+ ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Now, why a Bryston? Because they can be had under 1K second hand and because they are very speaker impedance ignorant. They simply do the job, they are well made and will last a long time. VFM, check. Power, check. Durability, check. Therefore, why not.

Bryston are what PMC use so it seems like an obvious option.

CnoEvil said:
in order to do the speakers justice.

Hi CnE

I thought this had almost been forgotten *biggrin*

Anyway, to max337 another Norwegian company Hegel and their H80 DAC/amp is also worth having a listen to
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I demoed PMC twenty.22 with a Cyrus 8 DAC prior to purchase, then ran at home with my 8XPd QX (now rebadged 8 DAC QX), then with Cyrus X Powers. I have been listening since March 2014 with a Cyrus DAC XP Signature and X Powers.

PMC and Cyrus go very well together; whether on a relaxed listen or at high volumes.

Vladimir said:
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
I vote Bryston.

The Impaler has risen from his box. Why Bryston? (Dreading the answer.)

In his previous thread the OP said he had £2k for amp and speakers.

Now, why a Bryston? Because they can be had under 1K second hand and because they are very speaker impedance ignorant. They simply do the job, they are well made and will last a long time. VFM, check. Power, check. Durability, check. Therefore, why not.

And I'm assuming this comes from personal experience. Right?

Remember I'm speaking from personal experience. As I type now I can glance at my lovely TB2s and Leema Pulse.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
And I'm assuming this comes from personal experience. Right?

Remember I'm speaking from personal experience. As I type now I can glance at my lovely TB2s and Leema Pulse.

Yes, I licked the chasis and I knew from the taste its power envelope was ignorant to speaker impedance variations. Simples.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
One of the best things about PMC speakers is that they work very well with a very wide range of amplifiers as long as the amp has a strong power supply and plenty of current delivery .

Electrocompaniet would be my personal choice with Bryston in second place , but Hegel , Leema ,Cyrus and Naim etc will all give a slightly different flavor to the sound so just choose what suits your taste .

The reason I would choose Classic series Electrocompaniet equipment over others is because in the same way PMC speakers work well with any competent amp Electrocompaniet amps work very well with almost any speaker and will drive any load or type of speaker effortlessly with total control.

The combination of Classic Electrocompaniet and PMC will reproduce any type of music equally well and it sounds like real music ( with a natural sounding recording ) rather than just music played on a stereo which is ideal for me but can be a little too 'real' for some people. *smile*

Saying that I have never known or heard of anyone who has listened to any of the classic series Electro amps that has not been more than impressed !

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Bryston, Krell, Electrocompaniet, Adcom, Hafler, Parasound, Threshold. You don't need to poke those dragons with a stick to know they breathe fire.

There is an AW100 in the local ads that I would like to snag but I promised to buy mom a new stove. Darn holidays. *aggressive*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
max337 said:
Thanks both. I should probably halt around about here as I'm yet to demo and am giving myself way too much to do. I need a system now and so hopefully the Cyrus and the PMC combo is good enough to last me until I find some dealers. Then the fun begins.

You may find you are quite happy with the cyrus. It's not exactly a bad amplifier ... .

When Hifi World tested it it came first against some quite interesting products and it can easily partner speakers more expensive than the PMC.

It probably boils down to how loud you listen to your music.

This is what I was hoping. The Cyrus going well with them. Subjective, but hopefully it works out and then Mission Accomplished. I should have the PMCs soon.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
boggit said:
As you know i had a Leema and PP is right i dont think he would recomend it so much if it were not a bargin! its a briliant amp at a bargin price at £440 i noticed hardley any differance when i upgraded to a Sugden A21SE. Buy it dont like it sell it for £440 again easy. Having said that i would also like to try the Electro i really like the look, somthing i could not say about the Leema.

Its £550. I have a few I'm watching and I need to prioritise. I'm also avoiding used gear. I know it limits choice but :(

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Vladimir said:

Bryston are what PMC use so it seems like an obvious option.

If I can, I will. Sounds like I may have to make a few blind purchases.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
in order to do the speakers justice.

Hi CnE

I thought this had almost been forgotten *biggrin*

Anyway, to max337 another Norwegian company Hegel and their H80 DAC/amp is also worth having a listen to

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks. Even though the mixed reviews I've seen, this is an amp I want to hear! Plus DAC.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
I demoed PMC twenty.22 with a Cyrus 8 DAC prior to purchase, then ran at home with my 8XPd QX (now rebadged 8 DAC QX), then with Cyrus X Powers. I have been listening since March 2014 with a Cyrus DAC XP Signature and X Powers.

PMC and Cyrus go very well together; whether on a relaxed listen or at high volumes.

I keep hearing this. Good news. Its a 6xp but relatively speaking I should see a big difference. I'm not expecting better/worse but different.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
One of the best things about PMC speakers is that they work very well with a very wide range of amplifiers as long as the amp has a strong power supply and plenty of current delivery .

Electrocompaniet would be my personal  choice with Bryston in second place , but Hegel , Leema ,Cyrus and Naim etc will all give a slightly different flavor to the sound  so just choose what suits your taste .

The reason I would choose Classic series Electrocompaniet equipment over others is because in the same way PMC speakers work well with any competent amp Electrocompaniet amps work very well with almost any speaker and will drive any load or type of speaker effortlessly with total control.

The combination of Classic Electrocompaniet and PMC will reproduce any type of music equally well and it sounds like real music ( with a natural sounding recording ) rather than just music played on a stereo which is ideal for me but can be a little too 'real' for some people.  *smile*

Saying that I have never known or heard of anyone who has listened to any of the classic series Electro amps that has not been more than impressed !

Great. Hoping the speakers make a good base to sample out amps. I do intend to try the Electro amp but maybe the PI effort as I have one local. At least I'll get a taste of it.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Bryston, Krell, Electrocompaniet, Adcom, Hafler, Parasound, Threshold. You don't need to poke those dragons with a stick to know they breathe fire.?

There is an AW100 in the local ads that I would like to snag but I promised to buy mom a new stove. Darn holidays. *aggressive*

Darn moms and their stoves. You can't get a good sound out of those.

max337 said:
boggit said:
As you know i had a Leema and PP is right i dont think he would recomend it so much if it were not a bargin! its a briliant amp at a bargin price at £440 i noticed hardley any differance when i upgraded to a Sugden A21SE. Buy it dont like it sell it for £440 again easy. Having said that i would also like to try the Electro i really like the look, somthing i could not say about the Leema.

I'm also avoiding used gear. I know it limits choice but :(

I'm confused. You said many times you want to avoid used gear so why buy a pair of PMCs that were pre-2008. I showed you a lovely pair of Totem Arros (with a returns)...

Not having a go but one minute you want to avoid older gear then you spend on a pair.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:
boggit said:
As you know i had a Leema and PP is right i dont think he would recomend it so much if it were not a bargin! its a briliant amp at a bargin price at £440 i noticed hardley any differance when i upgraded to a Sugden A21SE. Buy it dont like it sell it for £440 again easy. Having said that i would also like to try the Electro i really like the look, somthing i could not say about the Leema.

I'm also avoiding used gear. I know it limits choice but :(

I'm confused. You said many times you want to avoid used gear so why buy a pair of PMCs that were pre-2008. I showed you a lovely pair of Totem Arros (with a returns)...

Not having a go but one minute you want to avoid older gear then you spend on a pair.

Don't be. For starters the PMCs are new. I'll try to avoid used gear but if its the one...

I don't expect anyone to understand it.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
max337 said:
Electro said:

Electrocompaniet would be my personal choice with Bryston in second place , but Hegel , Leema ,Cyrus and Naim etc will all give a slightly different flavor to the sound so just choose what suits your taste .

The combination of Classic Electrocompaniet and PMC will reproduce any type of music equally well and it sounds like real music ( with a natural sounding recording ) rather than just music played on a stereo which is ideal for me but can be a little too 'real' for some people. *smile*

Great. Hoping the speakers make a good base to sample out amps. I do intend to try the Electro amp but maybe the PI effort as I have one local. At least I'll get a taste of it.

That's not a bad idea , try the PI just to get a taste of what I am talking about and if it appeals then either try the Classic series ECI3 s/h which imo is a better amp or as you prefer to buy new equipment you could contact Abrahamsen Audio about the V2.0 integrated that I mentioned in a previous post , they will probably send you one on sale or return. At around £500 it is a true bargain imo .*smile*

Abrahamsen Audio also do a UP vesion that has been upgraded with a larger power supply and higher class A bias for a little more money. They also upgrade and sevice older Classic series Electrocompaniet amps .

http://abrahamsenaudio.no/

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Do Abrahamsen have a distributor/dealer network in the UK (or the OP's home country?)

If not I would not recommend purchasing.

Any warranty work will involve a lot of hassle.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I think Electros are hideously overpriced now. Two or three years ago when they were £1700, that was good value. But £2400?

I can't disagree with that , I would never have paid the full price for my Electro's I could never have been able to justify paying the retail price for them, I was just lucky to find a good deal ex demo .

The same could also be said about the price of new PMC speakers and many other brands too .

The up side of the high prices is that the same models as my previous Electro amps that are now 13 years old are selling for not much less than when they were new judging by sales on a well known auction site *smile*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
Do Abrahamsen have a distributor/dealer network in the UK (or the OP's home country?)

If not I would not recommend purchasing.

Any warranty work will involve a lot of hassle.

Very wise words.

If by some chance there was a problem under warranty or indeed even if the warranty had expired all that you would have to do phone up and arrange to send it back by courier for repair , I have done this several times with other brands of equipment ( not Electro *smile* ) and it was no hassle at all , why would it be any more complicated with Abrahamsen equipment .*smile*

TRENDING THREADS