AMOLED TVs - when, if ever?

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm STILL fuming at the lack of progress in this area.
emotion-12.gif

Though I'm seeking counselling and trying to come to terms with it.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

the first oled screen must have been developed 3 or 4 years ago now , its strange that they havnt been able to develop a 40in one by now ..that wouldnt cost the earth ..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, it's odd - anyone would think there's been an unprecedented global recession that's badly hit the resources of huge consumer electronics companies in recent times
emotion-5.gif

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:the first oled screen must have been developed 3 or 4 years ago now , its strange that they havnt been able to develop a 40in one by now ..that wouldnt cost the earth ..

Pretty sure I've read about a 40" prototype OLED at Samsung* (* or Tosh/Sony/Panny/LG ????) , but there's almost no hope it's going on sale any time soon. As Clare mentioned there's only a limited budget in R&D and sadly 3D is probably taking most of that, I think we'll have a very long wait for large OLED TVs. Boo hoo
emotion-9.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe:I'm STILL fuming at the lack of progress in this area.
emotion-12.gif

Well that's a ridiculously over the top reaction, why don't you get angry about something that matters.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Yeah, it's odd - anyone would think there's been an unprecedented global recession that's badly hit the resources of huge consumer electronics companies in recent times
emotion-5.gif

aye , hence the arrival of 3d .. probably much cheaper to get off the ground , maybe a welcome boost for their coffers too , or not ? a few proper 3d movies might help methinks
emotion-43.gif
, i still cant understand why especially sony hasnt had a few made ? its like selling a new car when theres no petrol about
emotion-40.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe:maxflinn:the first oled screen must have been developed 3 or 4 years ago now , its strange that they havnt been able to develop a 40in one by now ..that wouldnt cost the earth ..
Pretty sure I've read about a 40" prototype OLED at Samsung* (* or Tosh/Sony/Panny/LG ????) , but there's almost no hope it's going on sale any time soon. As Clare mentioned there's only a limited budget in R&D and sadly 3D is probably taking most of that, I think we'll have a very long wait for large OLED TVs. Boo hoo
emotion-9.gif

It's not that so much as the fact that it's a very difficult technology to scale up to large screen sizes and yields of acceptable quality screens are very low, which is why they cost so much.

You might have to accept the concept that it may not be possible to produce large OLED screens on a commercial basis at all. Or that by the time it does become possible something better will have come along and obsoleted it.

Personally I'm still waiting for SED but that'll never happen either.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
Diamond Joe:I'm STILL fuming at the lack of progress in this area.
emotion-12.gif

Well that's a ridiculously over the top reaction, why don't you get angry about something that matters.

The_LHC, let me explain, a lot of my posts are tongue in cheek, I use hyperbole (in true tabloid newspaper fashion) for comedic effect, this is exactly that. I'm mildly peeved about it, nothing more.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SED, I *think* stands for Surface emitter Diode or something. It may have a different name now but it was definitely SED when it was first talked about.

Basically, every pixel is an individual miniature cathode ray emitter, the theory was you'd get the flatness of LCD/plasma but with the superior contrast of a CRT display. I believe it was Sony developing it and they'd got as far as making pre-release prototypes which, if any of them had been up to standard, may have been sold individually (at a very high price) but I think it got shelved when Sony's financial woes caught up with them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe:the_lhc:Diamond Joe:I'm STILL fuming at the lack of progress in this area.
emotion-12.gif

The_LHC, let me explain, a lot of my posts are tongue in cheek, I use hyperbole (in true tabloid newspaper fashion) for comedic effect, this is exactly that. I'm mildly peeved about it, nothing more.

You want to leave off the angry smiley then, that way EVERYONE will misinterpret it. Trust me, I'm a master at that...

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Diamond Joe:the_lhc:Diamond Joe:I'm STILL fuming at the lack of progress in this area.
emotion-12.gif

You want to leave off the angry smiley then, that way EVERYONE will misinterpret it. Trust me, I'm a master at that...

Duly noted.

There's an interesting article on Wikipedia (usual dose of salt rules apply) regarding SED, the last paragraph might be of particular interest to you The_lhc.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
the ihc , chill

have a coke and a smile
emotion-4.gif
emotion-16.gif

He's quite entitles to be annoyed tbh ... especially if he's right into wanting a larger set with this type of tech why not ?

It's maybe gonna be the format that will kill-off LCD sets ... maybe that's a reason for the delay ? Wow conspiracy theory in there
emotion-5.gif

Ihc ... SED sounds good ... i'll need to read up on it .... thx for info.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
SED, I *think* stands for Surface emitter Diode or something. It may have a different name now but it was definitely SED when it was first talked about.

Basically, every pixel is an individual miniature cathode ray emitter, the theory was you'd get the flatness of LCD/plasma but with the superior contrast of a CRT display. I believe it was Sony developing it and they'd got as far as making pre-release prototypes which, if any of them had been up to standard, may have been sold individually (at a very high price) but I think it got shelved when Sony's financial woes caught up with them.

hmmm , interesting , assuming they were fast enough , motion should be very good , and obviously contrast , detail , had never heard of it before ...

A

Anonymous

Alantiggger:
the ihc , chill

have a coke and a smile
emotion-4.gif
emotion-16.gif

He's quite entitles to be annoyed tbh ... especially if he's right into wanting a larger set with this type of tech why not ?

It's maybe gonna be the format that will kill-off LCD sets ... maybe that's a reason for the delay ? Wow conspiracy theory in there
emotion-5.gif

Ihc ... SED sounds good ... i'll need to read up on it .... thx for info.

he,s like a cyber cyclone , appearing with no warning , then ripping through the forums leaving chaos and destruction in his wake , before quietly going away (for a few games of midnight pool , a lemonade , and a good sleep , ready for a nice relaxing wkend
emotion-4.gif
)

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

It was Canon developing SED in cooperation with Toshiba, until they got caught up in patent fights.

Now the development is unfortunately officially dead: LINK REMOVED - House Ruleshttp://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1274944436

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger:He's quite entitles

Grandfather Vitaly, is that you?

to be annoyed tbh

Yes but there's a difference between annoyed and "fuming" but it doesn't matter now anyway.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:he,s like a cyber cyclone , appearing with no warning , then ripping through the forums leaving chaos and destruction in his wake , before quietly going away (for a few games of midnight pool , a lemonade , and a good sleep , ready for a nice relaxing wkend
emotion-4.gif
)

Actually that's not so very far from the truth! Although I haven't a good night's sleep for a while (might explain a lot...) and I do tend not to post at weekends, I'm only on here now cos I've forgotten to pay the Council Tax...
emotion-6.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TKratz:It was Canon developing SED in cooperation with Toshiba, until they got caught up in patent fights.

Oh yeah, that's right, I remember now.

Now the development is unfortunately officially dead

Oh, bumsy!

Cheers for the info anyway.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:the_lhc:

hmmm , interesting , assuming they were fast enough ,

Canon reckoned a production model would have a response time of 0.2ms and actual 100,000:1 contrast ratio.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe:There's an interesting article on Wikipedia (usual dose of salt rules apply) regarding SED, the last paragraph might be of particular interest to you The_lhc.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts