Do you think some vendors are milking up HiFi novices (If it costs a lot must be good, right?)

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
When you purchase an accessory for your HiFi, like a stand or some shelving for your turntable, you expect to pay the market value for the product. Yes?
In the world of mobile phones, TVs, washing machines etc, as a consumer you would buy which ever offers the best deal.

The simple definition of the Laws of Contract, dictates that there is an offer followed by an acceptance from potential buyer, it does not say it has to be a bargain or reasonable price. Vendors are at liberty to sell whatever price they see fit (and in most scenarios the market defines what is reasonable).

However, in the world of HiFi this appears to have turned on it head and it seems, this to be prevalent in niche markets such as HiFi accessories, where exclusivity and mysticism and ample supply of snake oil is the hook that catches the unworldly prey and this is the rope that pulls the donkey (not sure what I mean by that but I like how it sounds!)

On this occasion I've put on my Luddite hat, doesn't mean that I sit on that stool and, I always urge people to be careful but not be afraid of taking risks, OK that's an oxymoron.

I was on the Etsy website today, just browsing mainly because my office network had crashed so I couldn't access my files, so I decided to kill time.

Oh my, look what I've come across it's insane, it may be HiFi rack made from Solid Oak but look at how much they're asking. Honestly I can buy the same wood, have it cut specially and the costs will be approx. £200 or £300 the most.

1693847415663.png
I'm not trying to single out Etsy, because some of the stuff they sell are amazing such as the Argon speakers with Kevlar cones, not bad for £94.

1693847775364.png
It will be interesting to hear from you, any instances of products relating to HiFi, that you personally thought was a complete rip off?

Last edited:

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
I'm not trying to single out Etsy, because some of the stuff they sell are amazing such as the Argon speakers with Kevlar cones, not bad for £94.
You surprised me, sir! I didn't think that Etsy turned into an analogue of eBay, I always thought that this was a handmade platform

As for the problem of overpricing, Hi-Fi is essentially a trade in luxury goods and designer products, since from a technical point of view, nothing new has been happening for 30 years, when the massive transition to digital audio technologies began.

Reactions: nopiano

doifeellucky

You’ve clearly not seen the fuse thread.

Some people have more money than others and ultimately it is up to them how they spend it. As you’ve said previously due diligence is important and only that person can decide if a particular product is good value to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich
D

Deleted member 201267

When you purchase an accessory for your HiFi, like a stand or some shelving for your turntable, you expect to pay the market value for the product. Yes?
In the world of mobile phones, TVs, washing machines etc, as a consumer you would buy which ever offers the best deal.

The simple definition of the Laws of Contract, dictates that there is an offer followed by an acceptance from potential buyer, it does not say it has to be a bargain or reasonable price. Vendors are at liberty to sell whatever price they see fit (and in most scenarios the market defines what is reasonable).

However, in the world of HiFi this appears to have turned on it head and it seems, this to be prevalent in niche markets such as HiFi accessories, where exclusivity and mysticism and ample supply of snake oil is the hook that catches the unworldly prey and this is the rope that pulls the donkey (not sure what I mean by that but I like how it sounds!)

On this occasion I've put on my Luddite hat, doesn't mean that I sit on that stool and, I always urge people to be careful but not be afraid of taking risks, OK that's an oxymoron.

I was on the Etsy website today, just browsing mainly because my office network had crashed so I couldn't access my files, so I decided to kill time.

Oh my, look what I've come across it's insane, it may be HiFi rack made from Solid Oak but look at how much they're asking. Honestly I can buy the same wood, have it cut specially and the costs will be approx. £200 or £300 the most.

View attachment 5187

View attachment 5188
It will be interesting to hear from you, any instances of products relating to HiFi, that you personally thought was a complete rip off?
Expensive racks that don't last apparently :-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQuny3_Zao

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
You’ve clearly not seen the fuse thread.

Some people have more money than others and ultimately it is up to them how they spend it. As you’ve said previously due diligence is important and only that person can decide if a particular product is good value to them.
Yes totally, I concur. The market will exist as long as people choose to pay these high prices.

doifeellucky

Yes totally, I concur. The market will exist as long as people choose to pay these high prices.
I think hand made items are a bit different. Yes you can buy the wood for much less, but you have to factor in having a large workshop, tools, treatment costs, and more significantly skill and time. A craftsperson should be rewarded for the skills they’ve acquired over the years. Bespoke items like this won’t sell in large numbers so there’s likely to be a premium. Obviously there’s always ikea.

How do you define ‘market value’?

Many of these items are Veblen goods, where the higher the price the more desirable they seem. It certainly has nothing to do with the input costs, plus a simple margin. It’s not supermarket milk!

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

View attachment 5187

View attachment 5188
Nearly 1400 quid for a knocked up set of oak shelves with no aesthetic appeal whatsoever. Hmmm. No thanks.

Friesiansam

I've got the necessary tools, that rack is very simply constructed and, would be easy to build myself.

D

Deleted member 201267

Actually you’re right. I take back what I said earlier. I looked at some other items they make and there were some much better joints and they were reasonably priced. This is very basic in comparison.
A slab of wood with 4 spikes attached - £258.28...
(and that's the cheapest option !).

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I think hand made items are a bit different. Yes you can buy the wood for much less, but you have to factor in having a large workshop, tools, treatment costs, and more significantly skill and time. A craftsperson should be rewarded for the skills they’ve acquired over the years. Bespoke items like this won’t sell in large numbers so there’s likely to be a premium. Obviously there’s always ikea.
I confess I have no sight of what their over heads are, it's also possible, its one person or a few people working in the garage with marginal costs for labour and materials, I simply don't know but I agree with you 100%, people should be rewarded for their skills and labour. The question is what is a fair price?
Some people if they want it, they will pay for it and if this is enough to keep a few people in employment, I don't begrudge that.
This wasn't about Etsy per se, I was merely bringing attention to HiFi accessories prices that would make a grown man wince.
Pleace forgive me for mentioning the dreaded cables but you know how silly it gets with cables. How much does it costs to produce a yard of copper?
Oh come on man, I love IKEA!!! 😊

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
How do you define ‘market value’?

Many of these items are Veblen goods, where the higher the price the more desirable they seem. It certainly has nothing to do with the input costs, plus a simple margin. It’s not supermarket milk!
Yes niche products it seems are outside the market value, indeed a little bit more complicated than buying milk 🥛😊

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
A slab of wood with 4 spikes attached - £258.28...
(and that's the cheapest option !).
Just to give some context, I got my very large 40mm solid oak plinth from TLW Audio for £79. I replaced the spikes with absorption pads because I didn't want to damage my desktop.

There's always IKEA :)

I'm also using solid oak 40mm thick chopping boards but not from IKEA. Cost me £30-£40 max.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYcFZpcyHUs

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_115121.jpg
    IMG_20230905_115121.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Just to give some context, I got my very large 40mm solid oak plinth from TLW Audio for £79. I replaced the spikes with absorption pads because I didn't want to damage my desktop.

There's always IKEA :)

I'm also using solid oak 40mm thick chopping boards but not from IKEA. Cost me £30-£40 max.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYcFZpcyHUs

I bought two oak plinths from TLW (Ebay)
Made to measure... I think my size were abouty £80 each
Great value and great service
Highly recommended

Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site

View attachment 5187

View attachment 5188
Looks more like a boot rack than hifi rack😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts