Alfa Romeo thread - back from the dead!

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The only thing that appealed to me was the 20% Ford employee discount :)

BL were rust buckets - I've owned a few over the years. I've never understood the fanatical appeal of Alfa's... I'd rather have a fugly reliable car than a pretty but unreliable one... guess that's why I drive a Bora :)
To be honest, Doug, most cars of that era were rust buckets, aside from the likes of Lotus, Reliant Scimitars etc etc which were fibreglass.

Alfas don't have the fanatical following of old fast Fords. Watching Bangers and Cash a beaten up non-running RS2000 sold for over 20k. A well sorted Alfa of a similar vintage is hard pushed to make 20k. Bear in mind this is not retail price, these are auction sites.

That said....

Attachments

• 20230203_052815.jpg
    20230203_052815.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 7
I'd rather have a fugly reliable car than a pretty but unreliable one... guess that's why I drive a Bora :)
Nothing wrong with VW Boras.

Reliability is another matter. German cars aren't as reliable as you might think. If you go onto a VW forum you'll read just as many horror stories as the official Alfa forum.

When I made a couple of posts on the Golf forum all those responding suggested Skoda Octavia is a better all-round car, incl reliability.

WayneKerr

Nothing wrong with VW Boras.

Reliability is another matter. German cars aren't as reliable as you might think. If you go onto a VW forum you'll read just as many horror stories as the official Alfa forum.

When I made a couple of posts on the Golf forum all those responding suggested Skoda Octavia is a better all-round car, incl reliability.
I can only speak as I find. Apart from the usual serviceable items - cambelt, clutch, suspension, battery, tyres, servicing, etc. it's never really let me down. Come to think of it none of my cars have ever gone bang.

All makes have their issues and their fair share of lemons. It's a lottery. Think my next car will be Korean.

Last edited:
I can only speak as I find. Apart from the usual serviceable items - cambelt, clutch, suspension, battery, tyres, servicing, etc. it's never really let me down. Come to think of it none of my cars have ever gone bang.

All makes have their issues and their fair share of lemons. It's a lottery. Think my next car will be Korean.
Think you're right, there's always a lemon or two but generally the all my Alfas have been no more expensive to run than the average car costs.

The only reason for having my engine rebuilt is because of the rarity and this car has got under my skin (in a nice way). And 3k for a total rebuild, if compared to smart replacement, is relatively good value. But this is the first rebuild I've had done since my Lotus back in the late 80s. That was purchased cheap knowing it needed under the bonnet extensive work.

Plus Alfas are guaranteed to make your fizzy bits fizz.😋

Reactions: Al ears
I insured my daughter just before the festive break for the Alfa. Her reaction before she changed into 3rd gear was: "Oh my Lord it's so easy drive. The clutch is easier, accelerator is more responsive and the steering is sublime, instantaneous".

This has come from a person with only a dozen or so lessons to her name.

It's certainly made her think about her BMW-built Mini Cooper.

Friesiansam

Reading on Autocar earlier, I was reminded of the Alfa Romeo 2uettottanta. This should have made it to production. https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/design-review-alfa-romeo-2uettottanta-2010/

A picture from the link:
gct8yzamyx0ss03bn7e2

Attachments

• 20231227_132055.jpg
    20231227_132055.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 5

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Okay.

None of it is wallet busting but just a minor irritant. Already purchased a lens cleaning kit before the festive break but due to crummy weather I've put it off.

Haven't purchased a tyre for over a year & that was on the loan car I had.
Don't really need the kits PP, just elbow grease and or polishing machine. 400 grit wet or dry to remove ALL the the oxidised top layer, > 1500 > cutting compound > T cut > polish. Repeat twice a year with T cut and polish. Did this for years on mine until I got bored doing it and just replaced the headlamps - not cheap and the front of the car has to come off to get the headlights out.

Brother has the same issue and we initially did his then he found a local garage who charge him £20 a time.

Don't really need the kits PP, just elbow grease and or polishing machine. 400 grit wet or dry to remove ALL the the oxidised top layer, > 1500 > cutting compound > T cut > polish. Repeat twice a year with T cut and polish. Did this for years on mine until I got bored doing it and just replaced the headlamps - not cheap and the front of the car has to come off to get the headlights out.

Brother has the same issue and we initially did his then he found a local garage who charge him £20 a time.
Only cost me about £20. It comes with all the polishing pads, cleaner and adaptor for the electric drill. If that doesn't bring it up to scratch it's "hello new headlight", which isn't that cheap as the front end needs to be dismantled.

It's the Autoglyn restoration kit.

My daughter's Mini is a real pain. She's had a few issues. Last night we went for a drive, got back to our village high street and the engine management light came on and it started misfiring. Gave it 30 mins or so to cool down and tried it again and it's absolutely fine.

Going in for MOT on the 1st Feb & I'll ask them to check it out.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
My daughter's Mini is a real pain. She's had a few issues. Last night we went for a drive, got back to our village high street and the engine management light came on and it started misfiring. Gave it 30 mins or so to cool down and tried it again and it's absolutely fine.

Going in for MOT on the 1st Feb & I'll ask them to check it out.
Possibly the O2 sensor is carboned up - needs an Italian tune up - cane it in low gears along a straight A road for a few miles. Failing that could be a coil pack on the way out. Too many damned sensors on cars these days.

Friesiansam

Possibly the O2 sensor is carboned up - needs an Italian tune up - cane it in low gears along a straight A road for a few miles.
A long time ago I had a mk2 Renault 5. When driven gently for any length of time, i.e. commuting in heavy traffic, it would oil it’s plugs up, then run a bit lumpily and, be more difficult to start. A good thrash through the gears would sort it out every time.

Reactions: DougK1
Possibly the O2 sensor is carboned up - needs an Italian tune up - cane it in low gears along a straight A road for a few miles. Failing that could be a coil pack on the way out. Too many damned sensors on cars these days.
Since she's had the Mini, only a few months, the water pump and aux belts have been changed, over the festive period it started puffing blue smoke from the exhaust -- that's now oddly stopped. It doesn't use any oil. And now this misfire with EML on, which has now stopped.

It makes the Alfa seem very reliable.

Anyone who tells me BMWs are so reliable, I'll beg to differ.

Is that from new? I'm hoping the warranty is covering everything.
No, it's a 2009.

It is her first car, and even though checked it over and took for a test drive, seems to be a pig.

I was the same with my Triumph Herald, I wanted it come what may. 6 months later I had to fork out for a Gold seal replacement engine.

Attachments

• 20231024_163541.jpg
    20231024_163541.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts