Alfa Romeo thread - back from the dead!

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Can't stand Jap cars. They're either Yobbo attracting, such as a Nissan Skyline, plastic looking (Mazda MR2 or have ludicrous rotary engines [Mazda RX7 or 8]) or have screaming Vtec engines as fitted to Hondas. Nah, Jap cars not for me.
You are blinkered by your adoration of Alfa Romeo.

We've just got my sister a 2009 Suzuki Swift 1.5, 22,000 miles on the clock. Engine is a Toyota and the car is like a go-kart, reviews state that it's more Mini than a Mini and they're right... cracking little car. She's well chuffed.

I might even buy Chinese next if they prove to be reliable, something European manufacturers don't seem to be able to build now.

You are blinkered by your adoration of Alfa Romeo.

We've just got my sister a 2009 Suzuki Swift 1.5, 22,000 miles on the clock. Engine is a Toyota and the car is like a go-kart, reviews state that it's more Mini than a Mini and they're right... cracking little car. She's well chuffed.

I might even buy Chinese next if they prove to be reliable, something European manufacturers don't seem to be able to build now.
Suzki Swift is one of the very few Jap cars I like. Even tried to persuade my daughter to buy one.

No, not blinded or blinkered by Alfas, I like many different marques

Do you think? I'm not talking about the ones you were allowed on when you were a kid. Even a Caterham or an Elise doesn't capture it.
I used to race karts as a teenager. Not silly fairground jobbies but proper racing 'Zip' karts with gears.

Agree no car feels the same, the closest IME was the original Mini. I owned a 1977 1275 GT. They had all the traits these new Minis don't: Fun.

I used to race karts as a teenager. Not silly fairground jobbies but proper racing 'Zip' karts with gears.
I was taken aback by how physical they are to drive - how utterly connected the steering is, how low to the ground you are, and how easy they are to spin if you don't do most of your braking in a straight line.

My car is pretty responsive for a road car and the steering is very good, but getting back into it after driving a kart was like putting boxing gloves on in terms of sensation.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Do you think? I'm not talking about the ones you were allowed on when you were a kid. Even a Caterham or an Elise doesn't capture it.
Me and my nephews used to go to the local track for the occasional birthday bash. The last time I went was in my 40's, driving them became too physically demanding for my years. However, as you seem to be rather over pedantic regarding my terminology maybe I'll change it to roller skate!

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
My daughter's Mini is a real pain. She's had a few issues. Last night we went for a drive, got back to our village high street and the engine management light came on and it started misfiring. Gave it 30 mins or so to cool down and tried it again and it's absolutely fine.

Going in for MOT on the 1st Feb & I'll ask them to check it out.
Get them to plug it into a diagnostic, it's bound to have thrown up a few fault codes. Hopefully they're cheap fault codes 🤞

I was taken aback by how physical they are to drive - how utterly connected the steering is, how low to the ground you are, and how easy they are to spin if you don't do most of your braking in a straight line.

My car is pretty responsive for a road car and the steering is very good, but getting back into it after driving a kart was like putting boxing gloves on in terms of sensation.
Scarily low, they seem faster than they really are. It's only the seat separating your archipelago from the tarmac.

Can only imagine a rally car that gets close.

Friesiansam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts