Alfa Romeo thread - back from the dead!

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Friesiansam

A member on another forum posted today, about driving his new Toyota Corolla. Said how with it's adaptive cruise and lane keeping, it pretty much drives itself on the motorway and, how wonderful this is. This got me thinking, so many cars now are just travelling appliances, about as much fun to drive as watching Michael McIntyre on the telly.

Small hatchbacks used to be fun. For a few years I had a Mk2 Renault 5, bigger engined version, not fast but, alive with feedback. Great fun to zip up and down twisty roads on the Mendip Hills, where I grew up, like Cheddar Gorge in the winter, when it was quiet.

Reactions: DougK1
On Sunday I treated the Alfa to a good wash and polish. Had some basic Turtle Wax shampoo and separate polish. The bodywork comes up nice for 19 year old paint.

Had it confirmed by a real Alfa geek, I have a very rare Alfa indeed. Not just the external colour but interior. It's a rare Alcantara door cards, centre armrests (back and front) and headrests.

This guy has said he's only seen two with the same interior since the 2000s. They were a factory option. Most went for leather but a few were decked out in Alcantara. And he believes this option was only for the Veloce model.

Attachments

• 1000001149.jpg
    1000001149.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000001148.jpg
    1000001148.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000001150.jpg
    1000001150.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000001151.jpg
    1000001151.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000001154.jpg
    1000001154.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 8
Well, done my good deed for the month. The ECU light kept coming on the ma-in-law's 2013 Mini Countryman. She got in touch with the dealer where she purchased the car, as it's still in warranty.

They arranged to have the car checked out at a BMW main dealer 22 miles away on Wednesday. Dropped the car off and brought her home.

To cut a long story short the main dealership phoned her and told her the front brakes were damaged: the pads were down to the bare metal, which in turn had damaged the discs. I looked at past MOTs and for the past 3 years the advisory was front brake pads low. Looking online, the day before she took delivery of the car it had failed, no reason was given. The people who MOT'd the car are the same dealer who sold the car to her. Basically it was a potential death trap.

I nipped around to the dealer who sold her the car, they are in the next village to me (TW Whites, Effingham) and asked a lot of questions. They agreed to pay for the cost of the brakes. All she had to pay for was the health check and re-setting of the ECU.

The ma-in-law said, "if it wasn't for you I could have been in a serious accident. Thank you so much. How much do I owe you?" I said no need to pay me anything, buy something for Mrs. P if you feel the need.

For someone in her 80s it could have been fatal.

On Saturday, drove a 2007 Mazda MX5. They always a get good reviews from owners and mags. It drove quite well but somehow I was a little underwhelmed by the driving experience.

It was based on the Lotus Elan, but having owned a + 2 Elan, the Mazda isn't a patch on the Lotus for both performance or handling.

Like to hear if anyone else has owned or driven a MX5.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Never owned any sports cars, PP, I prefer bikes for thrills. The MX5 was never really intended as an Elan competitor, the only principles they carried over was the front-engine rear wheel drive layout, plus decent handling. It was the motoring press which lauded it as an Elan-esque replacement.

When did you own your Elan?

On Saturday, drove a 2007 Mazda MX5. They always a get good reviews from owners and mags. It drove quite well but somehow I was a little underwhelmed by the driving experience.
At the moment, evo devotes its final page to 'Greatest Misses' - cars that would have been expected to be (at least) very good, but which fell a long way short of expectation. The Mk3 version of the MX5 from 2005 featured in February's issue - passed me by at the time, but it was something of a fall from grace. Earlier models are supposed to be much better, as is the version from 2015 onwards. And the Mk3 was improved over time - just not enough, it seems.

Never owned any sports cars, PP, I prefer bikes for thrills. The MX5 was never really intended as an Elan competitor, the only principles they carried over was the front-engine rear wheel drive layout, plus decent handling. It was the motoring press which lauded it as an Elan-esque replacement.

When did you own your Elan?
No, but the designer of the original MX5 owned a Elan. Granted, it was built as a budget Elan, but given the rave reviews from the likes of Top Gear and many others, it fell well short of my expectations.

Owned my Elan early 90s and that was a real eye opener, even compared to the Alfas. But not family friendly.

It was based on the Lotus Elan, but having owned a + 2 Elan, the Mazda isn't a patch on the Lotus for both performance or handling.

Like to hear if anyone else has owned or driven a MX5.
I had gifted a Mazda MX5 to my wife on our wedding day in 2010. We had participated in a Mazda MX5 event earlier which was in a village on top of a hill in Yorkshire. We drove down the hill and back up and absolutely loved it! So I ended up getting it. I was thinking about Porsche Boxster as well but decided on the Mazda instead, mainly due to metal retractable roof. One of our most memorable experiences was driving along the coast in Wales with open top.

Reactions: plastic penguin
I had gifted a Mazda MX5 to my wife on our wedding day in 2010. We had participated in a Mazda MX5 event earlier which was in a village on top of a hill in Yorkshire. We drove down the hill and back up and absolutely loved it! So I ended up getting it. I was thinking about Porsche Boxster as well but decided on the Mazda instead, mainly due to metal retractable roof. One of our most memorable experiences was driving along the coast in Wales with open top.
I remember that because you asked on this forum how to present it to her, if memory serves me. 😉

I know they completely different cars, but the Mazda didn't have that driving 'zing' of the Alfa. I've driven a few recently - classic and modern - Inc my daughter's BMW-built Mini Cooper and they aren't as driver-focused as the Alfa - even my daughter prefers driving the Alfa.

Think I would have to 'up' the budget considerably to match or better it.

Reactions: bigboss
Last edited:
The Alfa is quite old skool in many ways, you get good feedback from the steering on fast corners, something that most modern cars don't have, due to electronic steering etc etc.
I suspect yours (like mine) is a bit of a fossil in many ways - manual gearbox, HPAS, naturally-aspirated engine etc. All reasons why I have no intention of ever changing.

I have it valeted every 5-6 weeks and treated the leather to a refresh, and there's a small piece of corrosion in the nearside front wheelarch which is being sorted next week. Wheels were refurbished last year, so it's (fingers crossed) pretty much back to where I want it to be. I do fancy changing the exhaust to liberate a tiny bit more power and a little more volume, but we'll see.

I suspect yours (like mine) is a bit of a fossil in many ways - manual gearbox, HPAS, naturally-aspirated engine etc. All reasons why I have no intention of ever changing.

I have it valeted every 5-6 weeks and treated the leather to a refresh, and there's a small piece of corrosion in the nearside front wheelarch which is being sorted next week. Wheels were refurbished last year, so it's (fingers crossed) pretty much back to where I want it to be. I do fancy changing the exhaust to liberate a tiny bit more power and a little more volume, but we'll see.
Yup, everything is standard: Manual gearbox, not too many toys other than essential ABS, no digital speedo, standard warning lights... but does have a ECU.

Drove the bro-in-laws Tesla Model 3 a few weeks ago. It's very fast but it's a laptop with wheels and lacks traditional driver involvement.

Friesiansam

The biggest production engine of an Alfa is V6. It does have a wonderful soundtrack. Real hairy chested brawn. That said, I prefer the V8 of a TVR - it sounds like a 1970s F1 car. Fabulous.

View: https://youtu.be/a3N36uSuZv8?si=4jVx8pfAE--42dej
I know not many were built but, don't forget the 8C with it's 4.7L V8, although I know it was a Ferrari engine.

ALFA-ROMEO-8C-Competizione-1454_50.jpg

Last edited:
I know not many were built but, don't forget the 8C with it's 4.7L V8, although I know it was a Ferrari engine.
Wasn't it a Maserati engine? Heard on woofle by a couple of years ago and it sounded lovely. I know there's cross-pollination (even more so now), but this was definitely a cross-plane V8, (hence the woofle) whereas Ferrari's are almost always flat plane. Looking it up, it was made by Ferrari, but was cross plane.

Friesiansam

Wasn't it a Maserati engine? Heard on woofle by a couple of years ago and it sounded lovely. I know there's cross-pollination (even more so now), but this was definitely a cross-plane V8, (hence the woofle) whereas Ferrari's are almost always flat plane. Looking it up, it was made by Ferrari, but was cross plane.
I may be wrong but, in so far as I can find out, it is indeed a Ferrari built engine, principally for use by Maserati and, you are right about the cross-plane crank, rather than Ferrari's usual flat-plane crank.

EDIT: Autocar's Steve Sutcliffe taking one for a drive:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxdBcV0Fwak

Last edited:
Reactions: 12th Monkey

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts