Alfa Romeo thread - back from the dead!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WayneKerr

They used to recommend Petronas Selina, which is outright racing oil.
It's all b*llocks, it's a family saloon not a track car. Though as the engine ages it is recommended to increase the oil viscosity to prevent leaks. However, I still run mine on the original VW 5W/30 spec oil and no oil leaks with 180,000 on the clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

WayneKerr

My Chrysler 300C diesel, has a Mercedes OM642 engine in it. This engine has to have a particular Mercedes Synthetic Ash Free Oil and you have to be careful when buying, to get the specification numbers exactly right. I accidentally ordered the wrong oil because the correct oil is something, something, something, .3 and I ordered .2. The cans look identical.
The Chrysler's been at my local mechanic for about 3 months now. He's getting old, he's overwhelmed with work and he can't find any young men who know what their doing to work with him now. Add to this the fact that his diagnostic machine doesn't work with the Chrysler.
Luckily now he's found a mechanic in the next village with the same car as me and the correct diagnostic machine.
Simon's (my identical twin bro') Alfa Mito, is at the other local garage, with very little wrong with it, but because they can't get it running, they can't be bothered to find out what's wrong with it. I don't know why but it always seems to be us that get put on the back burner, even though we're instant payers and I always payed my mechanic more than he asked for. I'd say "Oh, is that all? That's not enough, here take this and bung him an extra £20 at least.
I'm considering buying an old Morris Minor🤣 except I don't like them much and their probably worth too much.
Most manufacturers specify a certain oil now John. My old Bora PD TDI needs a certain spec as the unit injectors are camshaft driven. I was paying over £40 for 5 litres until I found a pucker VW equivalent at £40 for 20 litres.
Shame about your mechanic, kids these days don't want to get their hands dirty and ruddy cars are becoming more like 4 wheeled computers. You could always offer yourself up as an apprentice :)

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Most manufacturers specify a certain oil now John. My old Bora PD TDI needs a certain spec as the unit injectors are camshaft driven. I was paying over £40 for 5 litres until I found a pucker VW equivalent at £40 for 20 litres.
Shame about your mechanic, kids these days don't want to get their hands dirty and ruddy cars are becoming more like 4 wheeled computers. You could always offer yourself up as an apprentice :)
Actually, I thought about offering to go'n give him a hand for a bit. Maybe I will.

Reactions: WayneKerr

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
You got a Bora Doug?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
A 60 year old apprentice. That would be.....erm funny?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Since we're talking motors here I want to talk about my car insurance.
I'd like to know if anyone has any thought about what I'm about to say
I got an email from my insurance company this morning telling me that they are not going to allow me to renew my insurance when it's due for renewal on December 3rd.
I've been with them for at at least 10 years. I've made no claims, always paid, disclosed everything I should disclose, that is, nothing other than the usual.
I phoned them this morning to ask why
The bloke kept me waiting for about 20 minutes while he looked through everything and he couldn't give me a reason.
I asked him "Have I been blacklisted for some reason, will I be able to get insurance with someone else?"
He said " No, you haven't been blacklisted but we can't insure you for the coming year. Next year you can try again, if you want and we'll probably insure you again."
I'm perplexed about this and slightly unsettled by it. But....well, what can I do other than try somewhere else.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Yep, 20 years old next year and still going strong 🤞 Don't worry about calling me Doug I respond to another word containing four letters too :)plus my name is my signature.
A friend of mine has a Bora. He bought it off a 'type' of person that due to experience of two very bad cars over the years, I will never buy a car from one of these 'types' of people ever again. He's had nothing but trouble with his one so he feels the same way I do about buying cars from this 'type' of person. Nevertheless, I like Bora's, cool car.

WayneKerr

Since we're talking motors here I want to talk about my car insurance.
I'd like to know if anyone has any thought about what I'm about to say
I got an email from my insurance company this morning telling me that they are not going to allow me to renew my insurance when it's due for renewal on December 3rd.
I've been with them for at at least 10 years. I've made no claims, always paid, disclosed everything I should disclose, that is, nothing other than the usual.
I phoned them this morning to ask why
The bloke kept me waiting for about 20 minutes while he looked through everything and he couldn't give me a reason.
I asked him "Have I been blacklisted for some reason, will I be able to get insurance with someone else?"
He said " No, you haven't been blacklisted but we can't insure you for the coming year. Next year you can try again, if you want and we'll probably insure you again."
I'm perplexed about this and slightly unsettled by it. But....well, what can I do other than try somewhere else.
Ooh err, how very strange :unsure: I've never stayed with the same insurance company for longer than two years, always shop around. Paid £160 last year, renewal price £320 shopped around and got it for £205.

WayneKerr

A friend of mine has a Bora. He bought it off a 'type' of person that due to experience of two very bad cars over the years, I will never buy a car from one of these 'types' of people ever again. He's had nothing but trouble with his one so he feels the same way I do about buying cars from this 'type' of person. Nevertheless, I like Bora's, cool car.
Touch wood I've not had many issues with mine apart from usual wear and tear/serviceable items. Mechanically it's pretty solid. Central locking has a mind if it's own and had to replace both front wings because of tin-worm, which I think will be it's eventual demise - rust. Replaced headlamps too as they were badly oxidised - plastic. It's only let me down once with a dead battery. I've always done my own servicing - oil and filter changes, brakes, etc., cambelt and clutch I get my garage to do.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Touch wood I've not had many issues with mine apart from usual wear and tear/serviceable items. Mechanically it's pretty solid. Central locking has a mind if it's own and had to replace both front wings because of tin-worm, which I think will be it's eventual demise - rust. Replaced headlamps too as they were badly oxidised - plastic. It's only let me down once with a dead battery. I've always done my own servicing - oil and filter changes, brakes, etc., cambelt and clutch I get my garage to do.
Yeah, I do a fair bit of my own servicing.
I started to less as I got older but now Simon and I am doing more because the garages around here are becoming unreliable.
We did drop links, top shock absorber bearing and track rod ends on his Mito recently.
I used to do engine changes, clutch changes, cam belts, basically anything including electrics but now certainly with electrics I've lost confidence in my ability to do some of the things I used to do.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Ooh err, how very strange :unsure: I've never stayed with the same insurance company for longer than two years, always shop around. Paid £160 last year, renewal price £320 shopped around and got it for £205.
I was always too lazy to shop around but now it looks like I don't have a choice.
A friend of mine, a lady, who spends far more time than me looking at various forums told me that many people now are having their bank accounts, insurance policies and pension plans refused with no explanation as to why.

WayneKerr

Yeah, I do a fair bit of my own servicing.
I started to less as I got older but now Simon and I am doing more because the garages around here are becoming unreliable.
We did drop links, top shock absorber bearing and track rod ends on his Mito recently.
I used to do engine changes, clutch changes, cam belts, basically anything including electrics but now certainly with electrics I've lost confidence in my ability to do some of the things I used to do.
Blimey, well done John. Age is definitely becoming a factor for me too so just tend to do the easier jobs now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts