How many folks are in shock over the new iPad Pro ad 'Crush'?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Although apologetic, Tim Cook has not removed the ad from his X feed.
Yes, they sure "missed the mark".
I felt sick watching the ad and seeing those eyes popping out of the smiley face near the end was quite horrific. Watching paint dripping over the edge of the crusher like blood after it had completed its task was quite shocking.
Many people on this forum are creative individuals (artists, musicians etc.) and so what are your thoughts?
Here is a good article from NPR that may perhaps stir your thoughts:

Gray

I go out of my way to avoid adverts of any kind. (Had a red, wall-mounted mute button to hit when I used to listen to commercial radio).

Consequently, I haven't seen the Apple advert - but I was listening to a phone-in where people seemed annoyed about some needless destruction - and the suggestion that AI can be regarded as a worthy / desirable thing.
Others suggested that the controversy may have been deliberate - just to get people discussing it.....as we are here 🤪

I'll be happy never to see it.

abacus

So what you are upset, get over it as there are worse problems in life then worrying about an ad. (Which 99.9% of people in the world would just laugh at)
I hate to think what would happen to those that were offended if something bad came along.

Bill

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
So what you are upset, get over it as there are worse problems in life then worrying about an ad. (Which 99.9% of people in the world would just laugh at)
I hate to think what would happen to those that were offended if something bad came along.

Bill
Personally, I have no problem with people being emotionally thin-skinned. It is a little odd that (insecure) creatives are equating an advert with the idea that Apple want to stop people from taking part in traditional arts.

Friesiansam

Have any of the sensitive/easily offended types, thought to consider the possibility, that the advert was entirely computer generated, so nothing was destroyed. I would say it is highly likely, that it was computer generated...

On the other hand, do such people ever stop and think, before exploding in a cloud of unjustified outrage?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site

Bill
Ironic, as we are on a forum where folks discuss the ins and outs of gear that is very much a luxury item and yes, there are "worse problems in life than worrying about..." (hi -fi)?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I go out of my way to avoid adverts of any kind. (Had a red, wall-mounted mute button to hit when I used to listen to commercial radio).

Consequently, I haven't seen the Apple advert - but I was listening to a phone-in where people seemed annoyed about some needless destruction - and the suggestion that AI can be regarded as a worthy / desirable thing.
Others suggested that the controversy may have been deliberate - just to get people discussing it.....as we are here 🤪

I'll be happy never to see it.
We live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with advertising; direct, indirect and subliminal. Believing that you can avoid or ignore it (by pressing a mute button) is futile - "resistance is futile" LOL
Do you watch movies and TV? Most pop culture is just a 'product' and created as a vehicle used for transmitting advertising to the masses... including a lot of music.
This board bans the discussion of politics, but in actual fact, almost everything in life is political on some level.
When people cease to be outraged by corporate culture and how it tries to influence our behavior and beliefs we have become "comfortably numb".
Interestingly, the first TV remote was supplied by Zenith in the USA (1950). Eugene McDonald Jr., Zenith’s founder/president, believed TV viewers would not tolerate commercials and was convinced that sooner or later commercial television would collapse.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
If you ever watch the ad., you may notice that they didn't crush a calculator... the iPad still doesn't come with a calculator app. as standard. So hang on to those calculators (or, I guess you can just ask Siri).

I suggest that anyone who is not offended by the ad. most likely doesn't have a creative bone in their body. You may as well throw away your hi-fi and just vegetate in front of a TV while watching movies and shows chocked full of placement and subliminal advertising.

Gray

Do you watch movies and TV?
I tell the truth when I say that I would genuinely have trouble naming 10 films that I've ever watched in my life (and I used to work for the Rank Organisation, with access to free Odeon tickets).

I've removed ITV from the guide that my TV shows me - BBC4 is about the only channel I watch.
Believe me, I avoid adverts (and 'pop culture') more than you might think.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
If you ever watch the ad., you may notice that they didn't crush a calculator... the iPad still doesn't come with a calculator app. as standard. So hang on to those calculators (or, I guess you can just ask Siri).

I suggest that anyone who is not offended by the ad. most likely doesn't have a creative bone in their body. You may as well throw away your hi-fi and just vegetate in front of a TV while watching movies and shows chocked full of placement and subliminal advertising.
Yep, that’s me. Not creative at all.

Friesiansam

Far more important things to worry about than a stupid ad, like war in Europe and Gaza... Get a grip!

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts