Air Lock Terminations on speaker cables

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Not too sure i understand why cables are terminated in this way. My Tannoy speakers have a screw at the back which just tightens down onto the exposed copper cable. I don't think the airlock termination would fit into this. Do other speakers have connector specifically for Air Lock termination ? Any advise received gratefully ? Thanks

A

Anonymous

Most speakers have binding posts with a plug in the end which can be removed so a banana plug termination can be put in. Airlock terminals are the same as any other banana plug with the exception of allegedly being applied by you local supplier in such a fashion as to reduce the amout of air, and therefore oxygen, available to oxidise your cable. Lots of debates go on in these forums about wether different wires make a difference, and wire lengths, terminations etc. etc. Common discussion argues that by applying a temination to your wires such as a banana plug means that there is another interface in that line where the information sent can be partially lost or subjected to "noise". Whereas a straight run connected directly to the binding post will reduce signal loss. Personally, I have some normal gold plated bananas on my speaker wire. I have done this for ease of use in case I need to move stuff around and also to neaten up the back of my amp. I think I have about 15 wires of various forms going into the back of my amp, and by putting terminations on, it helps me make sense of it all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts