Advice Sought On Matching Old Amp With New Speakers

gigmagig

Apr 7, 2021
Visit site
After days checking various speakers and amps across the internet I've opted (for now at least) to stay with my very matured Pioneer A107. But I'm considering upgrading my speakers.

My amp specs are:

Continuous power output

(both channels driven at 20 Hz to 20 kHz)**

T.H.D. 0.1 %, 8 Ω .................................................. 30 W*

DIN Continuous power output

(both channels driven at 1 kHz)

T.H.D. 1.0 %, 8 Ω ....................................... 40 W + 40 W

Total harmonic distortion**

20 Hz to 20 kHz, 15 W, 8 Ω ................................ 0.08 %*

Given those details what budget, or slightly above speakers do folks think would get the most, and be compatible with the amp?

Thanks.

After days checking various speakers and amps across the internet I've opted (for now at least) to stay with my very matured Pioneer A107. But I'm considering upgrading my speakers.

My amp specs are:

Continuous power output

(both channels driven at 20 Hz to 20 kHz)**

T.H.D. 0.1 %, 8 Ω .................................................. 30 W*

DIN Continuous power output

(both channels driven at 1 kHz)

T.H.D. 1.0 %, 8 Ω ....................................... 40 W + 40 W

Total harmonic distortion**

20 Hz to 20 kHz, 15 W, 8 Ω ................................ 0.08 %*

Given those details what budget, or slightly above speakers do folks think would get the most, and be compatible with the amp?

Thanks.
We have no idea as speakers need to work well in your room, not necessarily with an amp, and we have no idea what size this is.
Having said that the more efficient speakers you can find might be necessary with a low powered amp such as yours.
We also don't have your ears or even know your budget.

gigmagig

Apr 7, 2021
Visit site
We have no idea as speakers need to work well in your room, not necessarily with an amp, and we have no idea what size this is.
Having said that the more efficient speakers you can find might be necessary with a low powered amp such as yours.
We also don't have your ears or even know your budget.
Hold my hands up in acknowledgement of your reasonable comments.

Reactions: Gray

gigmagig

Apr 7, 2021
Visit site
Are you in the UK? Can you get to hear anything, because the likes of Richer Sounds will carry quite a good selection at budget prices.

As Al asks, what a you planning to spend, and are you looking for floor standing or stand mount speakers?
Hi, thanks for your helpful and kind comments. Yes. My present amp/speakers were bought at Richer Sounds a two decades ago. It's a question of suitable pairing I guess, as the Moderator suggested, efficient speakers may do the trick with my aging amp.

efficient speakers may do the trick with my aging amp.
Absolutely, and quite a few smaller/cheaper speakers aren’t that sensitive/efficient, but the figures are usually quoted. Something from Q Acoustics are easy to recommend because they’re efficient once you get to the 3020, and smoother sounding, hence flattering to older kit. But if you want a livelier sound, try Acoustic Energy, Mission, or Dali.

Reactions: Al ears

gigmagig

Apr 7, 2021
Visit site
Absolutely, and quite a few smaller/cheaper speakers aren’t that sensitive/efficient, but the figures are usually quoted. Something from Q Acoustics are easy to recommend because they’re efficient once you get to the 3020, and smoother sounding, hence flattering to older kit. But if you want a livelier sound, try Acoustic Energy, Mission, or Dali.

Much appreciated..am looking at the Q Acoustics 3020

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts