advice regarding a second system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
could any of you guys help me regarding a second system setup for occasional listening without spending much at all. the room measures 12'x16' and the choices i have for the equipment : for cd playback - yamaha cdx497/pioneer pd217/sony cdp ce525, for amplification - yamaha ax497/pioneer a307r/pioneer a300r, for speakers: bose301/201 speakers on stands. interconnects and speakers would be all monster.

good old advice, anyone?

A

Anonymous

scratch the bose. and the monster. and the rest of it.... money will take you much farther if you buy entry level from a real sound equipment manufacturer instead of those Motorcycle, television and rubbish manufacturers. (guess which is which):)

Try NAD C315BEE amp
NAD C515BEE CD player
entry level cables from Cambridge, QED, Chord
And Monitor BR1s... or... loads of choices for speakers. Anything but the bose.

Edit: Found it, I think this is a pretty nifty deal: The Nads with tannoys at superfi.

A

Anonymous

I have the deal from Superfi that raypalmer posted above and for the price I am delighted with it. Great sounding sytsem for me, I'm sure it'd be fine for your second system.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]scratch the bose. and the monster. and the rest of it.... money will take you much farther if you buy entry level from a real sound equipment manufacturer instead of those Motorcycle, television and rubbish manufacturers. (guess which is which):)

Try NAD C315BEE amp
NAD C515BEE CD player
entry level cables from Cambridge, QED, Chord
And Monitor BR1s... or... loads of choices for speakers. Anything but the bose.

Edit: Found it, I think this is a pretty nifty deal: The Nads with tannoys at superfi.[/quote]

Maybe but Yamaha and Pioneer have made some outstanding hi-fi products over the years.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, it looks like you're pretty much set on yamaha/pioneer. I can't really comment on that as I've never heard a yamaha player and the only pioneer amp I had the misfortune to hear was the A400 which I did'nt like at all.

Ray's suggested superfi deal of the NAD's is a good one. They really are ok for the little money. For a little bit more poke perhaps consider Denon PMA355uk with matching 685 player and MS10 or 20i's. 150 or so quid should get you that lot.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]
Maybe but Yamaha and Pioneer have made some outstanding hi-fi products over the years.[/quote]Oh no doubt gpi no doubt. It's just that in the past few years I feel that they've all but lost their hifi cred. That said I'm mighty interested to hear the new 2000 series integrated and sacd player from yamaha. If nothing else they're gorgeous.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Back to the OT, what type of listening is it? Is it guests around not really listening, or a hidey hole get away from it proper l;istening place? or something else.

For the fiirst, I would choose the cheapest 'proper' system you can find. Or even use a cheap DVD m or better still an MP3 player for source.
if it's more serious then itt depends on budget. Are you in the US by the way (I heard they love the monster cables there)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts