Front speaker buying advice wanted!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I went and tested the B&W 683/684/685 S2 on my Yamaha RX-S600. As expected it couldn't drive them really well - certainly better than expected, but this was in stereo - as soon as I would switch to 5.1 it would be over. The 683 did sound alot better than the 684, so I'll probably be going for that.

I'll probably be selling my Yamaha+HTS-201 5.1 system and am back to square one.... anyone know a good 5.1+ amp that can drive a B&W 683 5.1set?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thierr said:
I'll probably be selling my Yamaha+HTS-201 5.1 system and am back to square one.... anyone know a good 5.1+ amp that can drive a B&W 683 5.1set?

The mandatory question then is: What's your budget?

Closely followed by: Would you consider second hand?

Expensive hobby, eh?*wink*

EDIT 1. And the max physical dimensions for your rack?

EDIT 2. I'd consider second hand, because AVR prices tend to drop steeply over (a short) time.

DocG said:

EDIT 2. I'd consider second hand, because AVR prices tend to drop steeply over (a short) time.

I thought about getting the 685,which should be driveable by the amp, but the 683 just sounded so much better.
I do wonder however, I read in reviews for the 683 s2 that they require a large/spatious room - maybe I'm underestimating my room, but I don't think its large, especially considering the listening position. I can only put the speakers ~3m from listening position, and only ~2M apart from eachother. We usually have "normal" listening volume - rarely really loud. Might this change hwo good of an idea the 683 is?

budget: well I began this topic buying 440€ speakers and now I'm buying more than double so I guess my budget is pretty flexible :D. I decided this is an investment for somewhat longer term, so I was thinking about 2000€? I'm open to other suggestions if increasing it a bit would improve my options by alot. (that would be for receiver+front speakers, upgradeable to 5.1 later).

I might consider secondhand, I already had a look, but it seems like its alot more trouble than just buying new (or demo-model) - unless there just happens to be a great secondhand deal available right now. I'd prefer not waiting for a few weeks/months for the right gear to show up. Like I said there is also a sale in a big shop on 6 nov - I'm hoping to get a good deal then.

max dimensions: I originally picked a slim line receiver so I could put my receiver+center in my tv cabinet, but I guess this is just not possible. So if I just put a receiver the dimensions could be max 60cm x 40cm x 20cm while still leaving some breathing room.

oh btw - i forgot to mention we also tried a power amp (i think) - he tried to attach a rotel amp but for some reason it didn't work (volume didnt sync).

Thierr said:
DocG said:

I thought about getting the 685,which should be driveable by the amp, but the 683 just sounded so much better. I do wonder however, I read in reviews for the 683 s2 that they require a large/spatious room - maybe I'm underestimating my room, but I don't think its large, especially considering the listening position. I can only put the speakers ~3m from listening position, and only ~2M apart from eachother. We usually have "normal" listening volume - rarely really loud. Might this change hwo good of an idea the 683 is?

budget: well I began this topic buying 440€ speakers and now I'm buying more than double so I guess my budget is pretty flexible :D. I decided this is an investment for somewhat longer term, so I was thinking about 2000€? I'm open to other suggestions if increasing it a bit would improve my options by alot. (that would be for receiver+front speakers, upgradeable to 5.1 later).

I might consider secondhand, I already had a look, but it seems like its alot more trouble than just buying new (or demo-model) - unless there just happens to be a great secondhand deal available right now. I'd prefer not waiting for a few weeks/months for the right gear to show up. Like I said there is also a sale in a big shop on 6 nov - I'm hoping to get a good deal then.

max dimensions: I originally picked a slim line receiver so I could put my receiver+center in my tv cabinet, but I guess this is just not possible. So if I just put a receiver the dimensions could be max 60cm x 40cm x 20cm while still leaving some breathing room.

oh btw - i forgot to mention we also tried a power amp (i think) - he tried to attach a rotel amp but for some reason it didn't work (volume didnt sync).

Perhaps the upper end of your budget might put Quadral Chromiun Style 8's into range?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thierr said:
I thought about getting the 685,which should be driveable by the amp, but the 683 just sounded so much better. I do wonder however, I read in reviews for the 683 s2 that they require a large/spatious room - maybe I'm underestimating my room, but I don't think its large, especially considering the listening position. I can only put the speakers ~3m from listening position, and only ~2M apart from eachother. We usually have "normal" listening volume - rarely really loud. Might this change hwo good of an idea the 683 is?

The benchmark for room size is the average British living room. AFAIK 30 m2 is considered spacious (British forumites: correct me if I'm wrong!). As I said before, your set-up in the room is excellent: you sit 3 m from the speakers, with plenty of space behind you. That's good!

Moreover, most (all?) AVRs have a DSP for room correction. I would certainly give that a try if you're unsure about the bass quantity.

Thierr said:

No time at the moment, but I'll see if I can find you some 2nd hand suggestions in the neighbourhood!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Perhaps the upper end of your budget might put Quadral Chromiun Style 8's into range?

I haven't heard Quadral speakers myself, but if you're willing to give'em a try, Thierry, there's a pair of Quadral Platinum Ultra 9s for sale, in Malle (for 1250 EUR, RRP 3999 EUR). Malle might be within reach, depending where in the vast province of Limburg you live...

Other suggestion: a pair of B&W CM7s, six years old, mint condition (piano black) for €750. Looks like good VFM to me...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Denon AVR-3802 for €299 (2nd hand)

Yamaha RX-V3800 for €390 (2nd hand)

Denon AVR-3808 for €650 (new and unused; RRP was 1600 EUR).

All three of these could drive about any speaker you care to choose. Google is your friend ;-).

Thanks! The receivers look interesting, but I was thinking, I might upgrade to an OLED tv next year. By then 4K will probably be the standard, so that means I should probably buy a 4K receiver :/

I'm going to http://www.audiotvcentrum.nl/merkenpakket.html in an hour, any last tips on what to check out in the range of the b&w 683-684?

So I got a chance to listen to about 10 different speakers in the same price range (<1000€/speaker). The B&W CM8 stood out - the 683 that i was originally looking at really didnt sound good anymore. He's willing to bring the price of the cm8 to 1660€/set.

He also has a CM9 for 1000€/speaker (demo model). However he said that to power these in a 5.1 I'd need a preamp and a normal receiver wont cut it to really power them well.

So i was thinking of going for the cm8's, but according to him you need a high end marantz to power them in 5.1 like the marantz sr7010 which he had on sale for 1100€. I was really hoping a cheaper receiver would do. What are your opinions?

Secondhand sure starts looking interesting but im a bit worried about having to upgrade the receiver again in 2years for 4k. I think I also prefer a marantz receiver since that seemed to sound the best with the B&W's. I found a Marantz SR7005 for 500€, would that one do the trick?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not into home cinema, so I'm afraid I can't help you much further here...

Just a general remark: future proofing is expensive! 6-7 years ago I bought a laptop with Bluray writer. Back in the day it 'was obvious' this was the next step after DVD-R. Only it wasn't... It was USB, SSD, and now the cloud. In hindsight I paid (substantially) extra for a feature I never used.

Not saying you won't ever use 4k. Of course you will, but the new standard? Maybe. But it might not break thru after all. Or it might be pushed aside by the new 'next big thing'. (BTW, what proportion of the movies you watch, is in 3D?)

And another thing: an AVR with the same features as the SR7010 will be a lot cheaper in 2 years' time, when you might get your 4k display.

If it were my money, I'd go for those B&W CM7s I mentioned, with an AVR in the 300-400 EUR region (second hand). And if you really need a new amp in a couple of years, you won't lose too much money.

Then again, it isn't my money. And you are no doubt far more into home cinema than me. So it's all up to you. Let us know how you get on.

PS: the SR-7010 looks OK, but not special, judging it on sound quality/quantity only. Just my opinion.

EDIT: if that SR7005 is in good condition (and not too old), 500 EUR looks reasonable indeed. I don't doubt it can drive the speakers you consider.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thierr said:
DocG said:
If it were my money, I'd go for those B&W CM7s I mentioned, with an AVR in the 300-400 EUR region (second hand). And if you really need a new amp in a couple of years, you won't lose too much money.

I might check them out indeed. Where did you see them?

Here. Only worth the drive if you're seriously interested, I guess...

I decided upon buying the CM8 S2 and getting a second hand receiver that is strong enough.

I already got the receiver, a Marantz SR7005. it's supposed to be strong enough.

I also get Spendor BC1's (30 years old!) to test - I tested them on my yamaha receiver first. However the results weren't as expected. I have to turn the almost as loud to get a decent volume, and putting it to -5db still isnt THAT loud. (louder than normal listening volume but thats all) At 0db the amp even shut down.

So now I'm worried the amp isn't as powerful as I thought it would be. I found a few people online that powered their B&W CM8 with this amp so I expected it to be good. Anyone got any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts