Advice for new set up for classical music under £700. THANKS!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello I am a Newbie.

I would appreciate some advice on setting up a new system to listen to mostly classical music from computer/ipod/cd.

I have a small budget (I realise from looking at this forum!) of £700.

I would really appreciate suggestions for amp and speakers that will give me the best possible sound for a normal sized living room on this budget.

Thanks

Max

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Is it just an amp + speakers for £700, have you got the source(s) sorted ?

If you're after an all in one : although I don't listen to classical but mostly rock / metal. I do like bands like Within Temptation, Leaves Eyes etc, I had an Arcam Solo Mini and it was a very good performer with the more symphonic style of these bands.
With more conventional metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Rammstein it felt a bit off the pace.

I did see the Arcam for £550 the other day on some website. Think it might have been Sevenoaks. Add a pair of BX2s and you will be just over £700ish.

matthewpiano

If you would prefer seperates I'd be tempted to look at the NAD C326BEE with some Mission MX1s and either a NAD C515BEE or NAD C545BEE CD player, depending on how far the budget will stretch. The NADs are excellent for classical music and the MX1s are very impressive, based on what I heard of them earlier today.

Also worth trying would be the Marantz 6003 amp and CD player with the Missions.

A

Anonymous

a bit of haggling should bring a pair of dynaudio dm 2/6s and either a nad c326bee or marantz pm6003 under budget.

the dyns are what hifis best speaker under £500, and imo would be a significant step up over the bx2s.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
a bit of haggling should bring a pair of dynaudio dm 2/6s and either a nad c326bee or marantz pm6003 under budget.

Leaving the OP to find speaker stands, cables, iPod dock of some kind, CD player and DAC for hooking up his/her computer...

"I would appreciate some advice on setting up a new system to listen to mostly classical music from computer/ipod/cd."

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
maxflinn said:

Leaving the OP to find speaker stands, cables, iPod dock of some kind, CD player and DAC for hooking up his/her computer...

"I would appreciate some advice on setting up a new system to listen to mostly classical music from computer/ipod/cd."
did you miss this bit?

I would really appreciate suggestions for amp and speakers that will give me the best possible sound for a normal sized living room on this budget.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Then we will have to wait for clarification of whether the £700 is the budget for the whole system or just for the amp and speakers.
i think the clue is in.....

I have a small budget (I realise from looking at this forum!) of £700.

and

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am pretty set on the Marantz M-CR603 as it does what I want and the only thing I dont have in terms of input is a CD player (and DAB radio!). so it covers that too. Richer sounds has one for 429 leaving 270 quid for speakers.

Following Andrew's suggestion I can afford Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 or, (better whathifi score!) Monitor Audio Bronze BX2.

Are these different? Any other suggestions to go with the Marantz? Do the speakers need stands?

Thanks

Max

michael hoy

xeno said:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am pretty set on the Marantz M-CR603 as it does what I want and the only thing I dont have in terms of input is a CD player (and DAB radio!). so it covers that too. Richer sounds has one for 429 leaving 270 quid for speakers.

Following Andrew's suggestion I can afford Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 or, (better whathifi score!) Monitor Audio Bronze BX2.

Are these different? Any other suggestions to go with the Marantz? Do the speakers need stands?

Thanks

Max

Have a look here for the MCR603 + MA BX2

A

Anonymous

Excellent price! Obviously I HAVE to spend the remaining 100 pihnds on something.

Any ideas. e.g. whats a good ipod doc. Or will speaker stands make a difference?

Thanks for the help everyone

Max

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Speaker stands would be the best addition: you don't need an iPod dock, as the Marantz will connnect direct to the iPod using the standard white USB-to-dock connector lead, and you're unlikely to be able to get a decent subwoofer for £100.

A

Anonymous

For an alternative take: Gaitorized Caiman DAC @ £250 + s/hand Quad 405-2 power amp @ £200 ish + s/hand Spendor S3e @ £350 (s/h goods on a popular website near you ...) Stands + cables to add ...

That's £800 total, but only £550 for amp & speakers.

Caiman will acts as a pre-amp, use a cheapish USB cable on it to connect PC to DAC, a pair of white Belkin pure AV phonos about £6 (if you can still find them) for DAC to power amp, and start with QED 79-strand speaker cable. Stands, look for s/hand. Or you could try a quad 306 power amp, several around for £150.

A

Anonymous

OK, so still hvant taken the plunge.

But I found this set of offers for the Marantz mr603 with different sets of speakers..

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HDLIST.php?HOTDEAL=MTZ_MCR603

Any views on best deal up to 750 quid (I know it's slipping) for classical or shall I stay with the Monitor BX2 as have been recommended?

Cheers

Max

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
xeno said:
OK, so still hvant taken the plunge.

But I found this set of offers for the Marantz mr603 with different sets of speakers..

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HDLIST.php?HOTDEAL=MTZ_MCR603

Any views on best deal up to 750 quid (I know it's slipping) for classical or shall I stay with the Monitor BX2 as have been recommended?

Whatever you do, get the best possible speakers you can afford.

Here's an idea (from another M-CR603 related thread)...

Quad 11L Classics for £329. If you bought the Marantz and the Quads both from the same dealer (like your local Audio-T for instance) you could just reel them in for £750 as a 'package'.

Quad have long been associated with classical musical.

Just an idea. (Plus the real wood finish of the Quads is stunning 'in the flesh'.)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Xeno, can you tell us exactly how big your normal sized living room is?

I think that Brightspark has given the best advice so far in this thread.

Would you be happy with 2nd hand kit?

Would you be happy with big ugly speakers, on the assumption that: they'd be within budget, you could put them right against the wall or in the corners, they'd sound absolutely fantastic compared to most, if not all of the suggestions so far?

A

Anonymous

Room is 15 ft by 25 ft. Won't be allowed ugly speakers. Prefer new.

Curt reply cos written on phone.

Thanks

Max

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts