Bookshelf Speakers for Cambridge Audio CXA81

PianoGeneve

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm in the process of finding new bookshelf speakers for CA CXA81. So far I've just tried the relatively new B&W 606 S3 and I really enjoyed the pairing of the two. Also tried the Kef LS50 Meta but sounded too analytical, flat for my liking. Budget would be between 700 and 1200 GBP.

Thinking on trying the q acoustics concept 30 (I owned the 20s in the past and loved them paired with a different amp.) Not sure if this would be a good match for the CXA81

Any advice from members would be appreciated.

manicm

Hello All,

I'm in the process of finding new bookshelf speakers for CA CXA81. So far I've just tried the relatively new B&W 606 S3 and I really enjoyed the pairing of the two. Also tried the Kef LS50 Meta but sounded too analytical, flat for my liking. Budget would be between 700 and 1200 GBP.

Thinking on trying the q acoustics concept 30 (I owned the 20s in the past and loved them paired with a different amp.) Not sure if this would be a good match for the CXA81

Try the new Q Acoustics 5 series too. It may be a better match than the Concept 30.

Reactions: PianoGeneve
Hello All,

What's your room size and are these going to be placed on decent stands away from walls!
You really need to audition speakers in your own home as they are crucial to a decent set-up.

Reactions: nopiano

Gray

Currently £300 above your budget....but with discount / trade-in??
The new Wharfedale Aura 1 might be good.
One of those nice tweeters :) and downward firing bass ports - which might aid things in your room (rear ports have ruined things for me....even when on stands).

PianoGeneve

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone for their contributions. I will take these suggestions and see if I can audition these ideas. I'm not blessed with an abundance of hifi retailers here in Geneva which forces me sometimes to take a chance on a product before listening to it. This time I will be patience and test the suggestions out in person. As for auditioning equipment in my room before purchasing it - not a chance in Switzerland. The customer is certainly not king in the country.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
auditioning equipment in my room before purchasing it - not a chance in Switzerland. The customer is certainly not king in the country.
Not in any country, but money is. If they wont accommodate you, simple say to there faces, "oh well amazon it is then" (nearly all the brands mentioned above can be had on amazon) they'll soon change there tune if they don't then there not worth shopping with its completely there lose not your's

PianoGeneve

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Not in any country, but money is. If they wont accommodate you, simple say to there faces, "oh well amazon it is then" (nearly all the brands mentioned above can be had on amazon) they'll soon change there tune if they don't then there not worth shopping with its completely there lose not your's
Its not as easy as that. Switzerland isn't in the EU and shipping via amazon is only possible with certain products. This closed market means that resellers feel like they don't need to make any effort . I've found ways to get round the market restrictions but as I said, it often means purchasing without testing first (hence the need to do my research thoroughly.)

Cent Anni

Jan 28, 2024
Visit site
Its not as easy as that. Switzerland isn't in the EU and shipping via amazon is only possible with certain products. This closed market means that resellers feel like they don't need to make any effort . I've found ways to get round the market restrictions but as I said, it often means purchasing without testing first (hence the need to do my research thoroughly.)
Did you buy anything?
I have the original setup you mentioned. CXA81 with QA Concept 30. For me they are a knock out combo so go for it. The concepts are not fatiguing/analytical which is a plus for me too!

manicm

Where I am hi-fi shops have closed, and the mainstream ones now sell online. So auditioning is dead, I have to go to reviews and my common sense.

It's all very well telling someone to hear before they buy but sometimes that's not possible, so that kind of advice is not helpful really.

There are still a few showrooms, but these retailers service high end equipment, often with home automation.

Reactions: DougK1
Where I am hi-fi shops have closed, and the mainstream ones now sell online. So auditioning is dead, I have to go to reviews and my common sense.

It's all very well telling someone to hear before they buy but sometimes that's not possible, so that kind of advice is not helpful really.

There are still a few showrooms, but these retailers service high end equipment, often with home automation.
Where are you? Not in the UK, presumably?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts