Abrahamsen audio amp v2.0

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
100,000uF of capacitance

1000VA Noratel transformer

12 output devices

16A relays

Finger thick metal oxide resistors

Dual mono

High current, fast slew rate design

Balanced XLRs with digital volume control (yet it's not an Accuphase)

Multiple separate board modules (yet it's not an Accuphase)

Made in Norway by Per Abrahamsen

£690 FFS! It's insanity. It makes no sense at all!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
They need a distributor to do all the selling/stocking/shipping/servicing/marketing logistics. Roksan has Henley. Without them I think the experience would not differ from the one with Abrahamsen.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
You didn't buy the Linn from me did you? I just sold mine! Glad you got the CD player OK. As for speakers depends what you want to achieve and room size. I guess the PMC twenty series would be a good place to try, along with Kef R series , I know when i upgraded the PMC DB1's i have a fuller soundwithout losing the imaging. Have fun and enjoy your amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Cockroach said:
Thanks CNo. So he has no involvement anymore in Electrocompianet and can get away with an identical appearance?

It would appear so...but young Electro is the real expert on these matters (it was originally his lead that brought it to the attention of the forum).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Cockroach said:
I read that it is very, very heavy, which an iPhone isn't!

Ah, I thought you were referring to the size of the lawsuit between the companies, not the size of the product. My bad. *fool*

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Is it a quiet amp? Any noise from transformer? Any hiss or buzz from speakers if you put your ear to them? What is the procedure if a component fails....how do you fix it without the cost of sending it back? I'm going to be tempted to ask Burnside for a demo of his, and maybe take the k2bt for a comparison when I get it back!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I would of said none, but just got up to check. Very slight hum when i put my ear to the amp, and a very slight hiss when i turn it up and put mt ear to the speaker. None i noticed till you asked! No idea i assume send it back amps are usually extremley reliable, I.m sure any good amp repairer could easily fix, its quite modular. If i were Abrahamsen I would be talking to a UK repairer and ship a box of components and schmatics over job done takes away that barrier. Tempted, its well worth the effort you will be rewarded. As a matter of interest i paid no duty etc took about a week to come, they are built in Sweden in EU, oh and i have asked a further two times if I could sell them in the UK no reply. On a negative not I dont think the box or the internal foam are upto the European journey!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Having zero hum from such a large transformer is almost mission impossible. To get no hum at all it needs to be dipped in some sort of resin or oil. As long as you don't hear it at your listening position, it makes no difference. Small transformers humming is a much bigger concern. It means they are saturating due to being pushed on their performance edge with no remaining headroom (usually with higher biased class AB in budget amps).

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Cockroach said:
Thanks CNo. So he has no involvement anymore in Electrocompianet and can get away with an identical appearance?

It would appear so...but young Electro is the real expert on these matters (it was originally his lead that brought it to the attention of the forum).

As far as I know everything is cool between the two companies , even though the appearance is quite similar in some respects and the designs are based on the same principle there are enough differences so as to not cause any problems .

v2_2_zps72812e61.jpg

Electrocompaniet-EC48-1_zps34fe7d8d.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
As long as Abrahamsen is small enough, Electrocompaniet wont go into a PR suicide lawsuit over industrial and electronics design that Per Abrahamsen, who they would be suing, actually made.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Having zero hum from such a large transformer is almost mission impossible. To get no hum at all it needs to be dipped in some sort of resin or oil. As long as you don't hear it at your listening position, it makes no difference. Small transformers humming is a much bigger concern. It means they are saturating due to being pushed on their performance edge with no remaining headroom (usually with higher biased class AB in budget amps).
I would like to clarify, there is know audible hum at either end, just when you put your ear to each end ie speaker, amp. I was giving an honest aprasil of the question.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
If they dont take credit cards, how do you pay, bank transfer?

Might have to give one a go before I make the switch to active speakers. It also, looks like they've dropped the upgraded version from their website

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
They never had the Up version on the store! Pay by papal invoice. There are two websites, a website and the store. The UP details on the website NOK 7000 exchange around £600 well worth the hassle.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Burnside for your invite, I appreciate it and hope I find some free time soon so I can come and listen to this amp.

It's positive to hear that it doesn't suffer from excessive hum from either the transformer or the speakers. I spend a lot of my day only a few feet away from my HiFi so these issues can become apparent.

With my luck on getting new amplifiers working perfectly I would be very nervous if buying one of these, simply because I wouldn't be able to afford sending it back and fourth if I had any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts