A balanced system?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Project also claims that the positive and negative voltages are always being generated by both MM and MC:

Which obviously allows for a balanced connection in terms of pro-audio.
They're right about all cartridges giving both positive and negative voltages (with respect to a central 0v).

But no cartridge with a common ground can be used in their balanced system.

Reactions: Al ears and npxavar

Gray

this has noting to do with common noise rejection as we know it from professional balanced connections.
The way I see it Vincent, it's got everything to do with it - in principle, it's identical to pro balanced microphones.
In the mic, the voice coil connects, via 2 cores and a ground, to the balanced mixer.
In the balanced cartridge, each channel coil connects via 2 cores and a ground.....to their X3B balanced box.

That's what genuinely takes this above snake oil territory 👍

Vincent Kars

The way I see it Vincent, it's got everything to do with it - in principle, it's identical to pro balanced microphones.
In the mic, the voice coil connects, via 2 cores and a ground, to the balanced mixer.
In the balanced cartridge, each channel coil connects via 2 cores and a ground.....to their X3B balanced box.

That's what genuinely takes this above snake oil territory 👍
I was totally wrong footed there. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: Gray
Thorens / Teac and many others offer XLR balanced outputs
XLR Fully balanced done correctly sounds better & Fitted as standard to all very expensive hifi components & AV
XLR connector/cables are 95% cheaper than audiophile cables as made & used in Vast volumes globally

View attachment 4870View attachment 4871View attachment 4872

I very much doubt it but would be interested to see examples. Did I miss his input into this thread?
To my mind Project have the only balanced analogue front end option to date.
That's what he said a page back.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
One reason I can think of why nobody brought MC in this price range before is that MC cartridges don't have replaceable styli. You have to change the whole cartridge. There are a few exceptions but not among the Quintet series.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
One reason I can think of why nobody brought MC in this price range before is that MC cartridges don't have replaceable styli. You have to change the whole cartridge. There are a few exceptions but not among the Quintet series.
Actually Rega introduced the Planar 6 + Ania MC cartridge in 2021? Review here. It includes a separate linear power supply but no balanced outputs.

Oxfordian

This is a brilliant thread, so much helpful discussion on these balanced TT set-ups.

At the end of July I will be having a demo of Project's X9 with a DS3B Phono stage, and if all goes to plan I will be taking to the DS3B home on loan to test out as a MM phono stage to see how it compares to my Rega Fono.

My aim is to see if the DS3B is a step up from the Fono in terms of sound quality, if it is then does it also give me a potential 'In' to a balanced system at a later date via a Project TT or alternative.

There is still a question over how far up the chain that 'balance' connection could or should be maintained. Many amps now have balanced inputs and the DS3B has balanced outputs so I wonder if there would be an audible difference between the TT balanced to the DS3B, then balanced into an amp compared to a set up where the TT balanced to the DS3B and then RCA to the amp.

This is going to be an interesting journey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts