5 X A-10 Monitor Audio???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am upgrading my Kef 3005se speaker system and putting them into another room. I have been told many a times to get the Monitor audio Apex set because my room is only 3x3m and these would work well as the RX6 would be overkill for a room this size.

This has got me thinking how would 5x A-10 sound instead of the usual 4 and the A-40 centre?

Has anyone on this forum looked into this or should I just buy the A-40 as I was meant to be a centre speaker for this set up.

A

Anonymous

I thought about 5 x A10's although to be honest I did no audition this option, you can see from my signature the setup I decided on, I did so because the front 3 speakers handles 80% of the soundtrack. The front centre around 60%. Then again movies for home viewing are authored on 5 identical speakers, I would suggest you go and have a demo and see what you think. They will sound better than your KEF's IMO.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi magmax,

5 A10's would work a treat. As markjaspi stated movies are mixed and authored on 5 identical speakers in the studio.

The A10 is an incredible speaker and a big upgrade from the excellent KEF's.

What sub will you be using?

michael hoy

magmax said:
Hello everyone,

I am upgrading my Kef 3005se speaker system and putting them into another room. I have been told many a times to get the Monitor audio Apex set because my room is only 3x3m and these would work well as the RX6 would be overkill for a room this size.

This has got me thinking how would 5x A-10 sound instead of the usual 4 and the A-40 centre?

Has anyone on this forum looked into this or should I just buy the A-40 as I was meant to be a centre speaker for this set up.

If you can afford it and or fit it in go for the A40 as a centre speaker, it brings so much to the dialogue and with most of the movie coming from this point you will not be disappointed.

I would agree that these will be a significant upgrade over the KEF.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for your replies.

Cool as I thought the A-40 belongs in the set up as the centre speaker because that is what it was built to do and if it wasn't then the Apex pack would have 5 A10 instead of 4.

The sub I am thinking of putting into my set up is the RXW12 as it is cheaper than the one that comes in the Apex speaker pack. It's the same wattage and I should think there isn't much differences compared to the AW12 apar t from the smooth edges..

Hi magmax

Apex A10/A40's will be a significant upgrade over the impressive 3005SE
smiley-smile.gif
As has already been mentioned if the Apex A40 is within budget and which can also be accomodated then go for it. The A40 as a centre speaker is simply a no brainer and will provide the ideal icing on the cake :bigsmile:

Btw, what amplifier will you be using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Ahh see I haven't got that far yet
smiley-smile.gif
by the time I get the whole speaker system together amps would of moved onto the new models.

At the mo I have a denon 1910 which works very well with the kef's but I know I'll have to spend more money on the amp to get the best out of the Apex's. Pinoneer seems like it realy works well with the Apex.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Apex's will work perfectly in a 3x3m room, the big issue is getting the right sub. As mentioned by markjaspi, films are mixed and mastered on 5 identical loudspeakers, so it doesn't take a genius to work out that 5 identical loudspeakers are going to get closer to what the studio intended. As long as the speaker is up to the job, and provides enough power for you without sounding strained, then for me, it's definitely the way to go. We've recently had one of our customers go for a Reference 205/2 as a centre to match in with his front 205/2 left and right speakers. He felt there was better integration across the front when using this configuration, even when compared to the dedicated centre. Again, stands to reason.

You'll be able to run the Apex package with the 1910, but they're not going to sound as good as they should do. I'm sure in that size room you won't trouble the receiver too much. When you do come to change the receiver, it'll all depend on what sort of sound you want. The Yamaha and Denon receivers are warmer, producing a 'nicer' sound, which will take out any rough edges. The Pioneer and Onkyo receivers are a little more energetic sounding, with a little more bite, allowing you to hear a little more of what's going on in the mix. Which one you prefer is up to you, so do audition a few with an Apex package.

Personally, I'd have changed the receiver first, as the KEF package does improve with £1-1.5k receivers, and then you'd be in the perfect position to get the most from your speakers when you did come to change them.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The Apex's will work perfectly in a 3x3m room, the big issue is getting the right sub. As mentioned by markjaspi, films are mixed and mastered on 5 identical loudspeakers, so it doesn't take a genius to work out that 5 identical loudspeakers are going to get closer to what the studio intended. As long as the speaker is up to the job, and provides enough power for you without sounding strained, then for me, it's definitely the way to go. We've recently had one of our customers go for a Reference 205/2 as a centre to match in with his front 205/2 left and right speakers. He felt there was better integration across the front when using this configuration, even when compared to the dedicated centre. Again, stands to reason.

You'll be able to run the Apex package with the 1910, but they're not going to sound as good as they should do. I'm sure in that size room you won't trouble the receiver too much. When you do come to change the receiver, it'll all depend on what sort of sound you want. The Yamaha and Denon receivers are warmer, producing a 'nicer' sound, which will take out any rough edges. The Pioneer and Onkyo receivers are a little more energetic sounding, with a little more bite, allowing you to hear a little more of what's going on in the mix. Which one you prefer is up to you, so do audition a few with an Apex package.

Personally, I'd have changed the receiver first, as the KEF package does improve with £1-1.5k receivers, and then you'd be in the perfect position to get the most from your speakers when you did come to change them.

Hello David! Good post! Btw, I wanted to thank you for replying to my (harrassing) e-mails a few weeks back in regards to MONITOR AUDIO SILVER RX vs. APEX --- I've recently posted in The Apex Club thread for the first time as I've just this week ordered my APEX 5.2 set-up and am highly anticipating it's arrival. I just wanted to agree with you about the use of identical speakers all round in any multichannel set-up as I've always found myself extremely sensitive to this. Few floorstanding systems I've heard (with horizonal center speaker) can ever quite match the consistency and "flow" of a system with 5 identical speakers. However, my APEX 5.2 set-up will consist of A10 x 4 and an A40 for center, so there will obviously be some slight difference. But I'm acting naive thinking I won't notice........simply because when I auditioned them the A40 added so much to the experience, yet melted 'perfectly' into the experience.

Oh, and I'm gonna run them with my DENON AVR-3808 for some of that "nicer" sound you mention
smiley-tongue-out.gif

To the OP: I'm hoping you'll let us all know how you get on. I'm curious to hear your feedback if you decide to go with 5 A10's all round.

magmax said:
The sub I am thinking of putting into my set up is the RXW12 as it is cheaper than the one that comes in the Apex speaker pack. It's the same wattage and I should think there isn't much differences compared to the AW12 apar t from the smooth edges..

I would highly recommend you to audition both the subwoofers. You can't say both will perform the same just because both are rated at 500 watts. I had decided to buy the RSW12 subwoofer until I compared it with the AW12 (both rated at 500 watts). It was well worth the premium in my opinion.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Hello David! Good post! Btw, I wanted to thank you for replying to my (harrassing) e-mails a few weeks back in regards to MONITOR AUDIO SILVER RX vs. APEX.
Hey! No problem! Anytime :)
I just wanted to agree with you about the use of identical speakers all round in any multichannel set-up as I've always found myself extremely sensitive to this. Few floorstanding systems I've heard (with horizonal center speaker) can ever quite match the consistency and "flow" of a system with 5 identical speakers. However, my APEX 5.2 set-up will consist of A10 x 4 and an A40 for center, so there will obviously be some slight difference. But I'm acting naive thinking I won't notice........simply because when I auditioned them the A40 added so much to the experience, yet melted 'perfectly' into the experience. Oh, and I'm gonna run them with my DENON AVR-3808 for some of that "nicer" sound you mention
An identical five speaker set up won't be for everyone. There will be those that just can't house this type of system because of the added height of the 'centre'. Some coincident speakers from the likes of KEF and Tannoy can be laid on their side, but many speakers can't be used like this as laying them on their side will change their intended presentation due to them being a 'two point source'.
A dual bass/mid driver speaker will always add a richness to the sound over a single driver version, which some people will like and some won't, it's all personal preference. Personally, I don't like things too rich and warm as it clouds detail.
Do keep me posted as to how you get on :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts