Sony TA-NA1000 system budget cuts

tomwillans

Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
I am looking to set up a home cinema 5.1.2 system ( cinema is the prime use but I love my hifi as well). The proposed set up is a Sony TA-AN1000 with Monitor Audio Silver C 250, Monitor Audio Silver 200, Sony Rears RS5, Sony Sub SW5 and two PSB CS180 for the ceiling. The room is 8'3" high (2530mm) and about 3500 x3000mm or 10m2.It looks as if some sideboards are now doing to enter. The TV is a samsung QLed 55" series 7 ( 2018ish). How do I cut down the costs as the quoted costs were over £4500. They have suggested I abandon the Silver 200s and use my old wharfedale diamonds ( 1980's). I am happy to buy second hand speakers. I had started to consider a sonos arc with rears and subwoofer as I liked it tonal qualities as a tv speaker and left plenty of space for other hobby activities e.g. VR without tripping over the dog! but not as a surround system - hence my change in approach ( and budget). I was given a cheaper option 5.1.2 by another dealer but the sound demo was awful - far too much bass, rumble and loss of precision to the sound for my ears. It may have been the demo room btw.

Any advice much appreciated.

tomwillans

Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
I guess my question is too broad hence no replies. Do not use this as a guide to a speaker setup. I have just been informed by the dealers that the ceiling speakers will not work the Sony Rears in a Sony TA-AN1000 set-up. This was after I had bought the ceiling speakers and started the installation with wiring now plastered into place. This highlights the importance of ensuring what you are listening to in the demo set-up is what is being bought. However, to my taste the TA-AN1000 blew the X3800H out of the water when it came to sound quality with an ability to pick out the detail and precision, closer to Hi-Fi, when using the same speakers at much lower volumes. I guess this is what WHF means by 'muscular, powerful and smooth' ( Denon) v 'detailed, precise and articulate sound that is both insightful and engaging. The real highlight of the Sony its expressive dynamics'. I now want to still keep with the Sony but find what speakers were actually attached in the demo.

Messiah

I am a little lost.

It seems you want to set up a home cinema system but for less than £4.5k. If so, what budget are you looking at?

If you like the sound of the Monitor Audio Silver range then I would look at the Monitor Audio Radius range. They are excellent and can be picked up on eBay for very good prices these days.

Reactions: tomwillans

tomwillans

Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
Thank you Messiah, I will look into this range.

I had looked at £3000 ( excluding the TV) with a pathway to improve the system, but from your gentle response it seems as if I am being somewhat unrealistic and naïve with regard to home cinema. I find the Monitor Audio Silver 200 series enjoyable especially with Sony and more so with the Sony RS5 and SW5. The other modern speakers I have heard have been wall mounted Kef 301 or similar which as expected for something as slim was disappointing and RelT5X Subwoofer. I am still struck by how good my 1985 Yamaha a320 amp and diamonds are for hi-fi compared with the Denon, and there are far better Hi-Fi setups.

TRENDING THREADS