45rpm Vs 33rpm

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
What’s the advantage of some of the new 180g albums being released or rereleased in 45rpm ?
My logic is saying the groves can be made longer, more space between but is it really any advantage or just a novelty ?

Personally in a blind test I can tell the difference between the two speeds (very easily) and prefer the sound of 33

Please educate 😜

abacus

The slower the speed the more the information is compressed together and the stylus has to work harder to retrieve the information. (It’s the analogue equivalent of lower bitrate Flac (It's still lossless but the decompressor has to work a little harder)

Like all media vinyl is a compromise, faster speed is easier to read, but limits the amount of time available on the disc.

Bill

Two great answers above. I’ve seen very few where the identical master is available at different speeds.
Going back a few years, the greater dynamics and loudness potential led to 12” singles becoming a thing, when hitherto they’d always been 7”. I dare say DJs found the full sized discs easier to handle too.

Gray

.....Personally in a blind test I can tell the difference between the two speeds (very easily) and prefer the sound of 33
I wonder if you've ever heard a (well recorded) 12" 45 r.p.m. 'disco' single Danny.
There are plenty of TT owners over on the Wam forum, so I started the following thread, which you might find interesting:

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all for the reply’s all very informative.

Re 12in singles I’ve got a few of them and to be honest I’ve not spent much time with them, I always saw them as more collectibles but about to dig them all out and have good session with them

Reactions: Gray

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
If you are comparing the same album or track, there could be other reasons you don't like the 45 rpm version, i.e. its been remastered and in the process taken out the things you like best about it - I've heard a few newly remastered tracks of familiar songs, and they don't always improve on the original.
Otherwise I agree with the other responses, 12 inch 45rpm singles can really rock!

Reactions: danny-79 and Gray

iMark

I recently bought a bit of curiosity on Record Store Day: a 7 inch single of Golden Earring's Radar Love. One side is the original single edit, playing at 45. The B-side is the original album track, playing at 33. I can't hear much difference in sound quality, apart from originally playing the B-side at the wrong speed. :)

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
I recently bought a bit of curiosity on Record Store Day: a 7 inch single of Golden Earring's Radar Love. One side is the original single edit, playing at 45. The B-side is the original album track, playing at 33. I can't hear much difference in sound quality, apart from originally playing the B-side at the wrong speed. :)

I’m guessing the record speed is only really noticeable when you reference the sound of static or scratches as the first impression

(Or get the wrong speed )

TRENDING THREADS