3D ??????

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
TBH - 3D is of no real interest to me. But been thinking with all the fuss about 3d TVs, 3d BDPs & 3d Blu rays. & receivers.

Two years ago I bought a film called Coraline on blu-ray it came with 2 pairs of specs and it was in 3d. It played in 3d on my PS3 and normal TV. Have to admit I wasn't massively impressed and now if I re-watch always pick the 2d version.

Was this just guite a poor effort and as far as the tech could go 2 years ago. And is the new 3d is a big step up from that. Or are people paying for all the new 3d tech for no real reason ?

A

Anonymous

I watched a 2000.00 samsung TV with glasses in costco.

I thought to myself..... This SUCKS!!!

If this is the future, heaven help us, it was the worst experience ever.

I can say with almost a 100% certanty I wont be buying it.

And it seems as the Japanese public is with me as well, as it has not taken off over there at all, from a report I read

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In answer to the question, the Coraline version of 3D would have been using older tech and certainly isn't a representation of the new technology currently being pushed by manufacturers. The newer technology in a dedicated 3D TV and 3D Blu-Ray system will offer a substantially better 3D experience than the one you got with Coraline.

Whether you think it's worth spending all that money to get a system which can display it is another matter.

A

Anonymous

I've just bought the Pana VT20 with Pana 3D Bluray player. My last TV was a Philips Pixel Plus CRT bought 8 yrs ago!!. I was in the market for a HD plasma and was looking at the Pana G20 and V20. Then I figured for an additional outlay now I could future proof my tv.

I watch a lot of football and I'm looking forward to Sky showing it in 3D from October. Plus there will be films available in the future in 3D (Avatar, Toy Story 3 for starters). At the moment I'm quite happy enjoying the HD quality but when people visit I let them view the demo disc Pana provide with the specs on. Reactions have been great. I would only watch it occasionally. I dont think it was ever intended to replace 2D. But 2 hours watching a film or football match would be fine.

My understanding is that 3D gaming will be a driving factor in TV sales and the PS3 provides the platform to play the films on. If it doesnt take off I still have a fantastic tv.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I had a Phillips CRT too. Depth was great that's why i purchased another Phillips -love it. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Anyway, had a look at a £1,500 - 50" Samsung 3D TV in Comet, Tamworth. TV itself was Plasma, 600HZ etc and in fairness was an excellent tv in its own right. Slim too. Anyway staff were more than willing to let me try 3D out. Have to say i was very impressed. Sammy footage was made for 3D mind (water squirting in your face). Glasses were very light and you didn't really notice them, it was relatively easy to go off-axis so you need to be central to the image.

Agree with you guys though its all dependant on the application and software.

Eastenders in 3D anybody? -er no! Sometimes you just want to relax and sometimes you want to be immersed.

First person shouter with full surround sound or the 'Trench Run' in Star Wars on Full HD projector - YES PLEASE.

and how long until the above TV is on offer for £1,000?

Regards,

Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

I was prepared to be dissappointed but I had a demo of the Sony 3D and I have to say it was far better than I had expected. I was particularly surprised by the footy. Just have to wait for the content to increase and the price to drop

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Fair Point Andrew.....

Tired today - 'Cats purring but the baskets empty!'

Don't suppose you know of any 32" 3D sets in the 'pipeline'?

Thanks,

Cookie Monster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts