Fish & chips and the demise of takeaways. How expensive can they get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

I do love decent fish and chips and after curry it's my favourite comfort food.

I also love a 'vent' now and then about all sorts of stuff, food in particular.

Let's keep a fish and chip section open, as it's amazing how many people eat this stuff.

I do worry that at some point, living costs will force me to live on muesli and milk.

I've always regarded takeaway food as a treat, but it will soon be the stuff of dreams!

Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I used to pay £6 for decent fish and chips. This was about 2 to 3 years ago. The same fish and chips are now £11.40 and still without peas, or a breadcake etc.

I 'm wondering if these takeaways will disappear, a bit like 50% of the pubs, within a 5 miles radius from where I live.

When interest rates and inflation come down and Putin loses / energy is cheaper, does anyone think prices will fall, or will this be the new norm for fish and chips?

Many takeaways have increased their prices, but nearly a 100% increase in 2 or 3 years, is ridiculous.

I resent paying for this product now and it used to be a weekly treat.

What makes it even worse, is when you ay £2.95 for chips and they have been re-heated from the night before.

Most of these went in the bin, after feeding the crows. They seemed to like them.

The price of a good cod or haddock and chips is insane. In sunny Bedfordshire, I'm paying £12.60 for regular portion, still it's the only half decent fryer in town. I guess people shrug their shoulders and cough up.

I don't eat there as often as I like, yeah it's a shame.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I also make my own burgers from chuck steak. No oil as they are cooked in the oven or grill.

Lots of whizzed up onions in the burger and added some drained off a tin of lentils.
I'm going to put my yellow fin tuna steaks in the grill now. Served with oven baked French fries and sweet pea leafs, sliced Italian plum tomatoes and miniature cucumbers garnished in rapeseed oil and mustard, sprinkled sparingly some pomegranate sauce. Yummy 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_180208.jpg
    IMG_20230914_180208.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230914_180202.jpg
    IMG_20230914_180202.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1
Haha... the point I was making is anyone can cook and it's a darn sight cheaper than any takeaway.

Think the most expensive fish and chips is from celebrity chef Tom Kerridge. It's pure greed.

Well, that's the price you pay for a Michelin star chef to make fish and chips for you. It's at Harrods so aimed at specific clientele.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Well, that's the price you pay for a Michelin star chef to make fish and chips for you. It's at Harrods so aimed at specific clientele.
Wrong. That's the price pay for a TV celeb chef. Rick Stein charges extortionate prices in his Cornwall restaurants.

Sorry, for £30 odd quid for cod and chips it should come with gold. Fish and chips has always been affordable takeaways for the masses.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Wrong. That's the price pay for a TV celeb chef. Rick Stein charges extortionate prices in his Cornwall restaurants.

Sorry, for £30 odd quid for cod and chips it should come with gold. Fish and chips has always been affordable takeaways for the masses.
I'm not sure which part of what I wrote is wrong according to you.

The value of any product or service is the price people are willing to pay for it. If he's getting custom for £35 fish and chips at Harrods, so be it. There's no compulsion for anyone to have fish and chips there. There are plenty of other places. Harrods is clearly not aimed at the masses. You're also paying for the ambience, using the fancy cutlery etc. And someone has to pay for the high rent at Harrods in Central London.

I still remember several years ago when I was desperate to buy Alphonso mangoes towards the end of season, not having tasted one all season. Ended up buying 2 mangoes for £15 at Harrods as that's the only place I found them, as opposed to buying a box of 6 for less than £5 elsewhere when available. I was prepared to pay for it as it's my favourite fruit.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjbomber

TRENDING THREADS