Fish & chips and the demise of takeaways. How expensive can they get?

podknocker

I used to pay £6 for decent fish and chips. This was about 2 to 3 years ago. The same fish and chips are now £11.40 and still without peas, or a breadcake etc.

I 'm wondering if these takeaways will disappear, a bit like 50% of the pubs, within a 5 miles radius from where I live.

When interest rates and inflation come down and Putin loses / energy is cheaper, does anyone think prices will fall, or will this be the new norm for fish and chips?

Many takeaways have increased their prices, but nearly a 100% increase in 2 or 3 years, is ridiculous.

I resent paying for this product now and it used to be a weekly treat.

What makes it even worse, is when you ay £2.95 for chips and they have been re-heated from the night before.

Most of these went in the bin, after feeding the crows. They seemed to like them.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Couldn't agree more (y)

Up until I retired from work last year once a month after finishing work for the week I would treat myself to either an Indian, Chinese, or fish&chips. Prices were starting to rise towards the end but having been down to them again this year it's a ruddy expensive treat now.

I can understand as everything has increased in price for them, probably moreso than for the likes of us and they need to maintain a profit margin or go out of business. As for prices falling when all the dust has settled? In my 50 years of working adult life I've never seen prices return to former levels... they only go one-way, up, and stay up!

I now have more time to prepare food at home so not so reliant on treats... but I might still do it twice a year as there's no way I can replicate the taste these establishments conjure :)

Prices rose because energy prices rose - everything else you buy needs transporting/heating/powering/cooling etc. Falling energy prices should be reversing this to some degree - or it would if the effective cartels of the oil companies hadn't chosen to behave as they have.

Inflation starting to fall, which proper analysis shows me means that CPI does show a small dip in prices recently. There's some hope.

I'd bet on inflation and interest rates looking rather different in a year's time.

Can still get Fish n chips in Powys, just over the border from home, for £6.00. But that’s a small cod and a cone-size portion of chips, the smallest they do. Frankly that’s plenty for me these days.

Some places sell a pensioner portion or a lunch deal at a similar price. But a standard or large fish is much more, along with £3-£4 for twice as many chips as I can eat!

A family member knows a German takeaway business run by a Vietnamese family, and they have to buy cooking oil every other day. The cash n carry aren’t allowed to sell more than one container per visit. So as well as incessant journeys, they pay over double what they did a couple of years ago. Unsurprisingly they are are trying to sell up. 🙁

I can imagine the pressure on ingredients, staff costs, rent and fuel are similar here.

podknocker

Russia won't lose. It can't afford to let America post it's weapons in Ukraine and Finland; simple as that. This is an American led war and we are backing the wrong side.

Back to the debate, people have loads of money to go out for a curry but not for the chip shop! We live in crazy times.
You think we should back Putin and help destroy a sovereign nation, democratically elected to be independent from the tyranny of a warmongering barbarian, who doesn't care that nearly 10,000 innocent people have been killed and 100,000 more injured? Children blown to bits from February last year and many will be on crutches for the next 70 years, after losing their limbs. Whichever side you are on, I'm on the other one. Putin is a terrorist and him and his mate in North Korea need nuking to the other side of the galaxy.

Edited by mods - no personal attacks

Last edited:
The traditional British chippy chips are disgusting incidentally, and probably have been since they stopped cooking them in fat and wrapping in newspaper...
I'm glad the newspaper has gone. The last thing I want is to have Sunak smeared across my chicken and mushroom pie. Agree chips are greasy and limp. Much prefer my own triple cooked chips.

Attachments

• 20221029_153220.jpg
    20221029_153220.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts