Fish & chips and the demise of takeaways. How expensive can they get?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I'm not sure which part of what I wrote is wrong according to you.

The value of any product or service is the price people are willing to pay for it. If he's getting custom for £35 fish and chips at Harrods, so be it. There's no compulsion for anyone to have fish and chips there. There are plenty of other places. Harrods is clearly not aimed at the masses. You're also paying for the ambience, using the fancy cutlery etc. And someone has to pay for the high rent at Harrods in Central London.

I still remember several years ago when I was desperate to buy Alphonso mangoes towards the end of season, not having tasted one all season. Ended up buying 2 mangoes for £15 at Harrods as that's the only place I found them, as opposed to buying a box of 6 for less than £5 elsewhere when available. I was prepared to pay for it as it's my favourite fruit.
I'm curious, who owns Harrods now?

DCarmi

Unfortunately Fish and Chips has hit what is pretty much a perfect storm. Prices of oil and flour and fuel have risen and the UK stocks and availability of stocks of cod are fairly dire and we now pay more to import from abroad.

We should be switching to sustainable fish like seafood, mackerel, herring, plaice, etc. and support UK fishing, which has been decimated in recent years. We also have some of the best seafood in the world but British people don't eat enough of it.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
How about £19.75 for only fish & chips.
That's the kind of price I pay if I was eating at the John O'Gaunt Pub in Sutton. Michigan graded food. The fish is brought in fresh from Norfolk. So fresh but pricey, every now and then, it's good to treat yourself and the better half.
Knock it back down, with a cool draught Mosaic Adnams ale. magic :)!

Friesiansam

We get fish and chips from our nearest chippy, about 5 miles away, every 4 or 5 weeks. Very disappointed yesterday. Price unchanged but, notably less chips and, the fish was much smaller and thinner. Although the batter was still good, light and crispy, the thin fish had dried out and was well below the usual standard. They get one more chance, just in case it was a one-off.

TRENDING THREADS