• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

3.1 channel System verses soundbar, which option would you recommend please?

AdamRC

Sep 13, 2020
Hi, this is my 1st post on here. I currently have a 3.1 channel speaker System but as my Old Cyrus 8AV amp has broken, I’m looking for advice as to whether I should either buy something like a £750 AV amp or sell the lot and buy a soundbar from say Sonos. Both stereo and AV sound are important to me. If I stuck with my current speakers, I would not be looking to move to 5.1 as we don’t want any more in the room. My speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 2 (fronts), MA silver 150 (centre) and MA RSXW12 sub. I also have a Sonos Connect which historically plugged into my old Cyrus amp. All advice appreciated. Thanks

manicm

May 1, 2008
I have the previous top range Heos (new model just called Denon) soundbar, and while the sound is very good, there‘s not much of a stereo effect.

I’d say go for an AV amp.

AdamRC

Sep 13, 2020
I have the previous top range Heos (new model just called Denon) soundbar, and while the sound is very good, there‘s not much of a stereo effect.

I’d say go for an AV amp.

Thank you for this and sorry for the slow response. A bit of a stupid question but can you use/programme the latest AV amps for just 3.1 sound as I wouldn’t want to go out and buy say a Denon 3500 or 3600 only to find it only allows a min of 5.1? Thanks

manicm

May 1, 2008
Adam, you should be able to configure an av amp to 3.1, as most amps are 7.2 or thereabouts but don’t force you to use all channels.

Just call a dealer to confirm, but it shouldn’t be a problem at all,

Reactions: AdamRC

AdamRC

Sep 13, 2020
3.1 system will give you better stereo separation compared to a soundbar.

Thank you for your views. Off the back of this I I’ve started looking at some AV amps. I phoned a dealer and he confirmed I could just use my 3 speakers plus sub with any of the latest amps. Thanks again

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS