1st Blu ray ever!!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Out of all the Blu ray films you have seen which film is the best for showcasing the format for sound, picture, features etc.

I am hopefully taking delivery of my 1st player early this week and was going to order some discs.

Thought about:

Saving Private Ryan

Matrix Reloaded

Star Wars(s)

Gladiator

Alien box set

I remember when i played (on my now dead dvd 1920) fast and furious (1st one-pretty average film) The audio was incredible especially in dts!! It was also 1 of the 1st films i saw in hd on my kuro! Stunning with the contrasts in the cars etc

Anyone think of a Blu Ray with that wow factor!!??

A

Anonymous

What about iron man 2? Just released and according to audioholics it has an amazing soundtrack and excellent pic quality - ordered my copy today.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
The first blu-ray i purchased was the Spider-man trilogy and it was amazing and is probably the best one i own, i have around 100 now and though things go only get better .Nothing seems to be able to beat imho, but that may be down to the many tweaks i performed on my tv which maybe for the worst.Great film that offers fast paced action and a good starting point for any collector, definetly will showcase how good blu-ray is and still used for many adverts.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Good 1 forgot about its imminent release. The 1st 1 was a blast on dvd!! Can i feel a package purchase coming on for the pair?? Maybe..............

Thanks for that!! Any more older releases??

Is there a specific edition of saving private ryan i should buy?? Directors cut/special edition etc

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
lobby:
The first blu-ray i purchased was the Spider-man trilogy and it was amazing and is probably the best one i own, i have around 100 now and though things go only get better .Nothing seems to be able to beat imho, but that may be down to the many tweaks i performed on my tv which maybe for the worst.Great film that offers fast paced action and a good starting point for any collector, definetly will showcase how good blu-ray is and still used for many adverts.

Liking the sound of that!!

I have seen a lot of ads with it as a feature!!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I've enjoyed some of the kids movies such as Cars and Up, just got the Back To The Future Trilogy and that looks/sounds excellent! Another great movie for Blu Ray is District 9!!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Personally thought District 9 was really good. I think I Am Legend was great for sound/vision too. You must be chewing your nails off waiting for tjhe player to arrive! I hate waiting for stuff to come!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
john1000000boy:
Ipod touch not arrived yet then?? Hopefully the 52 will arrive by wednesday. Want to get a small collection of top films to showcase the format!! Have you seen Private Ryan on br??

Ipod Touch here and very pleased with it!! Haven't seen PR on BD yet but by all accounts it's definitely one to see!

A

Anonymous

John,

Try the 'Bourne Trilogy' and 'X Men Quadrilogy'. Both deliver a great sound & vision IMO as well as some kick-ass action!

Nick

A

Anonymous

For video and audio its got to be avatar.

but my first blu-ray was band of brothers... WOW what a series.

Also have saving private ryan but have not watched it yet

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
canada16:

Good call Canada. Avatar is a great choice.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
john1000000boy:
Out of all the Blu ray films you have seen which film is the best for showcasing the format for sound, picture, features etc.

I am hopefully taking delivery of my 1st player early this week and was going to order some discs.

Thought about:

Saving Private Ryan

Matrix Reloaded

Star Wars(s)

Gladiator

Alien box set

I remember when i played (on my now dead dvd 1920) fast and furious (1st one-pretty average film) The audio was incredible especially in dts!! It was also 1 of the 1st films i saw in hd on my kuro! Stunning with the contrasts in the cars etc

Anyone think of a Blu Ray with that wow factor!!??

Wait til you hear Dolby TrueHD ot DTS-MasterHD

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Two of the best recent releases i would say are Book of Eli and Kick Ass. I was very surprised as to how much i liked Kick Ass but it well exceeded my expectations, so much so that i would put it as my favourite film of the year so far. Got 2 disc special edition Private Ryan which is good, better than the R1 DVD i had but not a massive leap. I think this is down to the film stock used in the first place and the fact that it had a great sound mix on DVD. I have just had it replaced via a recall and have not tried the new disc yet , i personally didn't notice any issues with lip sync etc but i changed it anyway, this may well be better again but as i said not tried it yet. One other release that impressed me this year was Star Trek.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Collateral.

My 1st BluRay. Bought for £10 from the same Tesco I picked up my Sony BDP S370. Already had it on DVD but it was worth the upgrade.

The soundtrack music is phenomenal. (Standouts being a cover of Miles Davis' 'Spanish Key' and Paul Oakenfold's 'Ready Steady Go')

The cinematography is superb. True modern 'film noir'.

A

Anonymous

KNOWING with nic cage has an astoundinding DTS-HDMA soundtrack and the movie is different if not original.Theres an awesome scene where a jumbo banks,then plunges straight into a motor/dual carriageway.Well worth a listen and of course look!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
grdunn123:canada16:

Good call Canada. Avatar is a great choice.

Maybe Santa will bring that one!!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
v1c:Two of the best recent releases i would say are Book of Eli and Kick Ass. I was very surprised as to how much i liked Kick Ass but it well exceeded my expectations, so much so that i would put it as my favourite film of the year so far. Got 2 disc special edition Private Ryan which is good, better than the R1 DVD i had but not a massive leap. I think this is down to the film stock used in the first place and the fact that it had a great sound mix on DVD. I have just had it replaced via a recall and have not tried the new disc yet , i personally didn't notice any issues with lip sync etc but i changed it anyway, this may well be better again but as i said not tried it yet. One other release that impressed me this year was Star Trek.

Denzel is quality will definetely look into that!! Kick Ass has had loads of interesting reviews. Bit of a worry about s p r will need to be careful about the copy i pick up.

A

Anonymous

Watchmen, Ironman 1 & 2, Gladiator (remastered version) Bourne Trilogy, Master and Commander, Daredevil, The Dark Knight and Band of Brothers are all very good, great visuals and brilliant sound IMO.

IIRC master and commander won an oscar for the sound editing, so even if you dont like that type of film its well worth a look and listen just to give your speakers a good workout !!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
stu31:Watchmen, Ironman 1 & 2, Gladiator (remastered version) Bourne Trilogy, Master and Commander, Daredevil, The Dark Knight and Band of Brothers are all very good, great visuals and brilliant sound IMO. IIRC master and commander won an oscar for the sound editing, so even if you dont like that type of film its well worth a look and listen just to give your speakers a good workout !!

Agreed. Master & Commander on paper isn't a film I'd usually show any interest in, but it's awesome in all respects. One of my top five all time films. Much to my Wife's chagrin. "You're not watching that again!"

I've still yet to come across a film that goes from relatively quiet, to deafening loud, as well as M&C does when 'Lucky Jack' spots the cannon flash in the fog bank.
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:

stu31:Watchmen, Ironman 1 & 2, Gladiator (remastered version) Bourne Trilogy, Master and Commander, Daredevil, The Dark Knight and Band of Brothers are all very good, great visuals and brilliant sound IMO. IIRC master and commander won an oscar for the sound editing, so even if you dont like that type of film its well worth a look and listen just to give your speakers a good workout !!

Agreed. Master & Commander on paper isn't a film I'd usually show any interest in, but it's awesome in all respects. One of my top five all time films. Much to my Wife's chagrin. "You're not watching that again!"

I've still yet to come across a film that goes from relatively quiet, to deafening loud, as well as M&C does when 'Lucky Jack' spots the cannon flash in the fog bank.
emotion-8.gif

"Much to my Wife's chagrin. "You're not watching that again!" -
emotion-2.gif
LOL - so its not just me then????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts