OK to play UHD 4K discs on standard Blu-ray player?

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
My all time favourite film is Blade Runner (before that it was 2001: A Space Odyssey) and having owned all the various formats I currently have the collectors pack which features the final director's cut in Blu-ray format ... amazing!

I've just read the review of Bladerunner 2049 in the online What Hi*Fi? and naturally I'm intrigued. However, I only have a standard Blu-ray player (albeit a nice quality Panasonic model, DMP-BDT700) matched to a regular HD TV (i.e not 4K).

Can the latest format discs play in my machine? If they can, I realise they'd only show in standard Blu-ray definition.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
and tv then save some money and just buy the "standard" version of the film.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-2049-Blu-ray-Harrison/dp/B0765YMKKZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1522097914&sr=1-1&keywords=blade+runner+2049+blu+ray&dpID=61ageHEFY1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc="srch"

I watched my copy the other night and both the picture and audio was awesome, "standard" bluray can still give a great experience and until I upgrade to a 4k tv and bluray player (hopefully some time soon) then I will continue to buy films in the "standard" format, to me the 4k discs are still too expensive when I don't have the relevant equipment.

*music2*

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, bigboss.

Thank you for the link, macdiddy .. I'd already seen that page and was wondering what the difference is between the two 2-disc offerings (apart from £7, of course!). I presume the second disc has outtakes, interviews with the stars and 'how the film was made' etc., stuff I always enjoy. But the Amazon page doesn't explain why there are two different prices for ostensibly the same thing.

abacus

If you buy the 4K HDR version (With included Blu-Ray) you won’t need to buy it again when you upgrade to 4K, (Assuming you really like the film) also a lot the films only include the Atmos track on their 4K discs, which means if you want the best sound they are effectively forcing you to buy the 4K version. (Apart from greed there is no reason for this at all)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS