Your next hifi purchase

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
I really like the look of the 2nd generation Bluesound range, so I hope to begin with the Node 2 for my main system (...)

Thanks, Leeps, for drawing my attention to the Mk II. It looks significantly better than the first generation (form factor, inputs, outputs, Hypex amplification, IR-sensor and 'hard buttons'...)!

I was about to pull the trigger for the multiroom in our new house; now I'm certainly going for the 2nd gen! Though I could wait to see what the new NAD CI580 will bring...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Totally off topic(sorry to op) But just read your post and then looked on the AVI Website. Sounds really good kit btw. Where would i listen to these speakers as a demo?

The only shop that I know of which stocks them is Bartlett's HiFi in London. AVI mainly sells direct becasue it reduces the cost considerably by cutting out the middle man but it does make auditioning them awkward. If you ask on the AVI forum there are plenty of customers dotted around the country who'll be happy to let you visit them to hear their speakers. Alternatively there's the option of buying blind on the understanding that they can be returned for a full refund (minus return postage) if you don't like them.

Andrewjvt said:
Also: have you always had actives? If not what system did they replace and what did you gain in sq from going active? Cheers ps my younger brother has swore about actives for over 15 years now

Active speaker ownership is relatively new to me although I have listened to many over the years and been impressed by the benefits that they bring over passive speakers. I've previously owned Q Acoustics passives, AVI passives and DM5 actives. While the DM10's aren't to everyones taste, to my ears they're better than anything else out there and I wouldn't swap them even if I had a lottery win. They do benefit considerably from the matching subwoofer though and personally I wouldn't want to listen to them without a sub.

Not all actives are created equal though and like with passives they all sound different but the benefits with the good ones (AVI, Genelec, Quested and Yamaha for example) is better clarity, a smoother less harsh sound and better dynamic range giving a less compressed sound at higher SPL.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Well drummerman, most hobbies are expensive. Am in to cycling as well & made very good use of the few hot weeks we had this year. I also do music production at home, so looking to buy some software for producing. On the side of hifi. I think am looking to dwn size. Getting a Qnap TS-453mini, New oppo player & active 5.1. Will be looking at a slim line range of active speakers. Also looking at getting the linn Seanky DSM player. Going to be a total reconfiguration. My only worry, I may not get the power & control I have with my current system. *sad*

Is there a D115 on the way? Any rumours?*secret*

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Was planning on upgrading my amp but now I've settled in to new house not sure if I need to. I think a lot of the issues I had were due to room acoustics. Quite happy with my current system.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
Native_bon said:
matt49 said:
My unhealthy hobby is pretty cheap: just a new pair of running shoes every six months or so.

On the hifi front, my next purchase will be the latest upgrade to the Audiolab MDAC, which will include an ADC and the capacity for digital EQ. In the mid-term this will do DAC, preamp and EQ duties in my main system, replacing the DSPeaker Anti-mode.
I did an upgrade of the original power supply to the Linear power supply. Really happy with the improvement. I have yet to hear of the digital upgrage. Is this done by the same company?

The MDAC upgrades are done by John Westlake, the designer of the original MDAC. His aim is to design a "Swiss army knife" DAC (hence the ADC and digital EQ) and at the same time the best measuring DAC ever made. The project was crowd-funded over on the PFM forum. It's been fun and slightly frustrating keeping up with his progress (or the lack of it).
Sounds promising. Will keep an eye out when the upgrade becomes available. *good*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
Native_bon said:
Well drummerman, most hobbies are expensive. Am in to cycling as well & made very good use of the few hot weeks we had this year. I also do music production at home, so looking to buy some software for producing. On the side of hifi. I think am looking to dwn size. Getting a Qnap TS-453mini, New oppo player & active 5.1. Will be looking at a slim line range of active speakers. Also looking at getting the linn Seanky DSM player. Going to be a total reconfiguration. My only worry, I may not get the power & control I have with my current system. *sad*

D115..? *help*

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Having just bought the Focals, I'm still on the lookout for some secondhand stands.
After that it's a new turntable, I'm eagerly awaiting the website of Analogue Works to come back online. I haven't done any auditioning though.

It might get postponed a little as we are planning on travelling South America for 6 months, starting in January. That will probably go overbudget and then I'll first have to find a new job!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Could well be upgrading my Audiolab 8200AP to a Classe Sigma SSP very, very soon - aiming to improving two channel performance first and foremost as well as improving connectivity, with the improved performance of the AV side being a bonus. I've had to sell my 5.2 package to fund it, so I'll be improving the front end and downgrading on the speaker front.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
DocG said:
Native_bon said:

D115..? *help*

Well, since you have a 105 and want a 'new' Oppo, I thought the new model was on its way (and I hadn't heard anything about that yet, hence my question...). *unknw*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
Native_bon said:
DocG said:
Native_bon said:

D115..? *help*

Well, since you have a 105 and want a 'new' Oppo, I thought the new model was on its way (and I hadn't heard anything about that yet, hence my question...). *unknw*
http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/ecommerce/product/BDP-105D.aspx

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
DocG said:
Native_bon said:
DocG said:
Native_bon said:

D115..? *help*

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/ecommerce/product/BDP-105D.aspx
LINKY

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't want to detract fron the thread here, but I wonder what Oppo's sales are like this year? Can you imagine people forking out a grand or more for a do-it-all player (that's admittedly excellent) when I'd imagine a lot of buyers are either waiting for a 4K model or a healthily discounted 1080p version?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
Don't want to detract fron the thread here, but I wonder what Oppo's sales are like this year? Can you imagine people forking out a grand or more for a do-it-all player (that's admittedly excellent) when I'd imagine a lot of buyers are either waiting for a 4K model or a healthily discounted 1080p version?
It depends if the purchaser is interested in 4K or not. If they're not, then it isn't an issue. I'm sure anyone interested in 4K will be waiting for dedicated 4K hardware. Even if they are interested in 4K, an Oppo might not be a bad purchase anyway, as most 4K sources that are coming may not be great with regards to the playback of other sources like DVD and CD, unless they are as comprehensive and capable as the Oppo machines.

I doubt we will see heavily discounted Oppo players anyway, and I think the current machines are going to be with us for some time yet.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Could well be upgrading my Audiolab 8200AP to a Classe Sigma SSP very, very soon - aiming to improving two channel performance first and foremost as well as improving connectivity, with the improved performance of the AV side being a bonus. I've had to sell my 5.2 package to fund it, so I'll be improving the front end and downgrading on the speaker front.
I should've said that this comes off the back of purchasing an Innuos Zen Mini to store all my music on (great bit of kit), so I'm keen to get the most out of it with a better DAC. I know the Chord Qute is an improvement on the DAC in the 8200AP, but it is a quarter of the way to the cost of an SSP. Given the SSP is a DAC, a hi-fi pre-amp, an AV processor, it will improve all aspects of my system. Plus, it'll stop me listening to compressed music via Napster, and allow me to listen to hi-res stuff too. The Zen will be plugged directly to the SSP too, not streaming to another box to send to the SSP.

And im really looking forward to having a headphone socket for the first time in about 3 years...that'll be the next purchase after the SSP...

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ab-box-sc.gif

http://www.dmitrynizh.com/abbox.htm

that gents, should be your priority before you'll spend money on any amp, dac, pre amp, receiver, cable, power conditioner... etc.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Andrewjvt said:
Picked up today
Holy cow, you only just got the H160
Lucky you.

I wanted the h300 but was discontinued then got the h160 but then the h360 came out a lot cheaper than i expected so had to have it.
But the h160 is a very good amp. There was nothing wrong with the sound or power or anything lacking except me wanting the h360.

TRENDING THREADS