Your next hifi purchase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I really wish I was looking for a new turntable! The fact I have no LP's and really dont have the time to phaff with them means it would be a complete waste of money though I would love one, and all the tech, upgrading that goes with it.

When funds allow I'm going to upgrade the CXN to a Azur 851N and build some Hypex module amps. DM when you ready and got over the looks of the big "A" ill sort you out one at cost.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
richardw42 said:
Don't intend on buying anything apart from a new Apple TV when it's released.

I just need to put the finishing touches to my HC. Blackouts, wall mounting the front speakers and calibrating the pj.

Your pajamas need calibrating?

Chris

Some will be shopping and some will be DIYing their own valve amps I hear. *good*

Interesting thread on another forum.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I really wish I was looking for a new turntable! The fact I have no LP's and really dont have the time to phaff with them means it would be a complete waste of money though I would love one, and all the tech, upgrading that goes with it.

When funds allow I'm going to upgrade the CXN to a Azur 851N and build some Hypex module amps. DM when you ready and got over the looks of the big "A" ill sort you out one at cost.

A gentleman as usual. Thank you.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Valve amp building. A friend of mine does this he has many designs and has his own transformers made!

Pete%20Farrow%20Valve%20amp%20builds._zpsadqsklhg.jpg

1172315_10151921760021764_1986478821_o_zpsqnly6psd.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
matt49 said:
My unhealthy hobby is pretty cheap: just a new pair of running shoes every six months or so.

On the hifi front, my next purchase will be the latest upgrade to the Audiolab MDAC, which will include an ADC and the capacity for digital EQ. In the mid-term this will do DAC, preamp and EQ duties in my main system, replacing the DSPeaker Anti-mode.
I did an upgrade of the original power supply to the Linear power supply. Really happy with the improvement. I have yet to hear of the digital upgrage. Is this done by the same company?

The MDAC upgrades are done by John Westlake, the designer of the original MDAC. His aim is to design a "Swiss army knife" DAC (hence the ADC and digital EQ) and at the same time the best measuring DAC ever made. The project was crowd-funded over on the PFM forum. It's been fun and slightly frustrating keeping up with his progress (or the lack of it).

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I have also found that through short but intensive interval training (30 to 45 mins) I have made far more progress than with regular several hour long rides. - I reserve those for Saturday or Sunday mornings with pals.

Interestingly enough, this summer I have found 30 to 45 mins cycle rides, 3 or 4 evenings a week, to be very effective for losing weight and improving fitness/speed.

matthewpiano

Spendor S3/5R2, or Harbeth P3esr probably, but even the Spendors will require some careful saving so it is some way off.

In the even longer term, I'd like to end up with an Elicit-R, Creek 100A, or Exposure 3010S2d. I'd also like a Michell Gyro SE, but none of this is going to happen soon and in the meantime I'm thoroughly enjoying what I've got.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Nothing. I've done a major overhaul this year switching completely to actives while at the same time upgrading my headphone setup with the purchase of the U-05 and a couple of pairs of headphones as well as the Genelecs.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
As my son has finally finished college and started working, I am hoping to get a new amplifier by the end of this year - probably around the £1000 mark. Then I want a Sonos Connect, a tablet to control it and probably a Spotify account. I have a few ideas of which amps but will try to keep an open mind at this stage.

This may all be delayed as really I need to buy a new mountain bike (the old one is knackered) and I really miss the exercise. I have run to keep fit for most of my life and never been too far away from a bike either. Over the last year or two I have become a little lazy - probably spent too much time watching films and listening to music late at night so that I can't get up early enough in the mornings to go for a run.

Bike then amp, or amp then bike? *unknw*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm totally satisfied with all three systems and have no intention of changing anything unless something breaks. These three HiFi systems are probably what I'll grow old listening to music with. :D

I also still have the DM5 speakers and Nakamichi AV1 processor which have been mothballed for future use as either a second system elsewhere in the house or they can be combined with the DM10 system so that I can have 4.1 surround sound when playing computer games.

The only possible purchase which I may consider in a few years time is a Cambridge Audio CXN streamer/pre-amp which would make for a smart one box system if partnered the DM5's. But that won't be for several years, if at all.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Brought the hegel and kef i should be satisfied for now but im really wanting to listen to the hegel h360 through some atcs. We will see after that. Maybe ill keep both amps so that darth vaders ugly black wheelie bin son can have a bigger brother. Lol

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Having just replaced an old POS 5.1 system with a semi-decent amp and some small bookshelf speakers last week, I think my next purchase will be a decent sealed sub. I'm leaning toward the SVS SB-1000 now, but might be able to stretch the budget to get a Rhythmik L12 if it's appreciably better.

Think I got the bug...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I'm totally satisfied with all three systems and have no intention of changing anything unless something breaks. These three HiFi systems are probably what I'll grow old listening to music with. :D

I also still have the DM5 speakers and Nakamichi AV1 processor which have been mothballed for future use as either a second system elsewhere in the house or they can be combined with the DM10 system so that I can have 4.1 surround sound when playing computer games.

The only possible purchase which I may consider in a few years time is a Cambridge Audio CXN streamer/pre-amp which would make for a smart one box system if partnered the DM5's. But that won't be for several years, if at all.

Totally off topic(sorry to op)
But just read your post and then looked on the AVI Website . Sounds really good kit btw. Where would i listen to these speakers as a demo?

Also: have you always had actives? If not what system did they replace and what did you gain in sq from going active?
Cheers
ps my younger brother has swore about actives for over 15 years now

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I still can't afford a proper 'hi-fi' set up, but I would like a new pair of headphones before the year is out for my MP3 player and phone. Currently looking for a mountain bike in order to get my self out of the house and doing something active. My fitness and general health could really do with it...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
With the imminent arrival of my son back from Australia, I'm going to have to give him his laptop back. Therefore a decent laptop for my wife and I will be top of the list.

I reach the big 6 and 0 next year so maybe look at a treat then, but to be honest I'm so happy with my current set-up that I can't think of anything I actually need.

Since selling off all my vinyl and turntable set-up earlier this year (very much against the tide of current opinion) and not missed it, I have bought more CDs than ever. This will continue as long as the little silver discs are still produced.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I really like the look of the 2nd generation Bluesound range, so I hope to begin with the Node 2 for my main system.

If I was starting all over again, I'd be tempted with a Powernode 2. They've upped the power quite healthily over the first generation to 60wpc into 8ohms, added a digital optical input for your TV and outputs for headphones & a subwoofer.

All my music would be through Tidal or internet radio (both supported by the Bluesound). The Powernode also has "TV connect" to make integration with the TV's controls easier.*

Bluray plus Powernode plus a pair of Neat Iotas and a subwoofer would be a very stealthy minimalist but do-it-all system, on paper at least. Would be interesting to hear one. The discreet size (220mm wide x 70mm high x 190mm deep) but multiple abilities really appeals; they seemed to have addressed all the shortcomings of the first generation Powernode. Full marks Bluesound on a very well thought-out design.

But in the end my liking of multi-channel music & movies will probably direct me to the Node.

*TV Connect allows these models to "learn" the volume, power ON and mute button commands from any TV remote control while automatically switching on and selecting the correct input for seamless integration with the TV.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Firstly some decent stands, although I have a pair in my mum's shed so perhaps just those if I can shift them.

Upgrade my M-Dac with a higher end DAC / pre.

Possibly an iFi USB power between SBT and DAC.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I won't be buying any new kit for the forseeable future because my system does more than I could ever wish for !

And I will not be able to afford anything for a good few years after paying out for a full house refubishment anyway !

The only thing I will be looking at is some more room acoustic treatment panels to get the best out of my refubished and altered listening room when it's eventually finished.*smile*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
This may all be delayed as really I need to buy a new mountain bike (the old one is knackered) and I really miss the exercise. I have run to keep fit for most of my life and never been too far away from a bike either. Over the last year or two I have become a little lazy - probably spent too much time watching films and listening to music late at night so that I can't get up early enough in the mornings to go for a run.

Bike then amp, or amp then bike? *unknw*

Many manufacturers introduce the 2016 bikes in September/October. - A good time to pick 2015 models up at reduced prices

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts