Your best hi-fi purchase

matthewpiano

What is the best single hi-fi purchase you've ever made?

Mine is my B&W 685s. I've had so much pleasure from them in the last couple of months and since I got them I haven't had a single moments doubt about my system, for the first time in a very long time. They are so wonderful - involving, detailed, balanced. Funny thing is when I first heard the 685s back in 2007 (when they were launched, powered by an Arcam A18 and a Marantz PM6001) I didn't think much of them. Then, over the years, I've heard them a few times including a 2-week period on loan at home powered by the NAD C325BEE I had at the time. I loved them then and nearly bought the ex-dem pair but the dealer realised they'd already sold them and for some reason I didn't pursue things further. Several pairs of speakers later (including KEF Q300s amongst others) I finally decided to buy a pair and I haven't looked back. They are fantastic speakers and I will be keeping them for a long time to come.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Musical Fidelity AMS 35i.

It makes every genre of music sound natural, emotional, dramatic and enjoyable.....and has a way of working with almost any speaker.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

This wonderful three pieces! 8)

I've never owned (since my fathers home) a dedicated stereo kit.

I've always put my money on AV kit's, since the beginning in 1995/96 with my first Sony AV kit...

Now i'm building my stereo kit since last year, this summer i've bought from the UK ebay the NAD 3020i in a very good shape, and i might add that it is a magnificent amp!

Now i'm waiting for the Brio R and the NAD will be moved to my bedroom.

SBT+Rega DAC+NAD endless hours of music! :cheers:

Today since 3pm and still i'm...

T

the record spot

crang said:
Thanks to RS great onkyo tx8050 thread I vote for that as my best ever purchase.

Haha, you're welcome; there's plenty more positive user testimonials out there on the web now though. Not hard to see why either. Belatedly, Hi-Fi World gave it a review two issues back (and awarded four globes). Paul Rigby (the reviewer) had some rather odd issues with it, moreso in some of the features than the sound quality, the latter he rated highly.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
Haha, you're welcome; there's plenty more positive user testimonials out there on the web now though. Not hard to see why either. Belatedly, Hi-Fi World gave it a review two issues back (and awarded four globes). Paul Rigby (the reviewer) had some rather odd issues with it, moreso in some of the features than the sound quality, the latter he rated highly.

Is that review online anywhere? A quick google suggests not. Would be interested to know what features he had issues with. The only problem I have is that if my android phone loses wifi connection when using the OnkyoRemote app, then things can freeze up a bit. That's my fault though.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't buy to many hi-fi components in my audiofile career. (maybe it's actually a good sign of myself making the right decisions :)). but from the short list I could compile the most outstanding item would probably be Pathos Digit CDP.

EDIT: But I believe the best hi-fi purchases are still ahead of me...

T

the record spot

He seemed more bothered that the Spotify functionality that Onkyo hyped didn't come with some free offer or the like. I didn't quite get the amount of print it went into, sound-wise, he rated it as did Noel Keywood. Turns out the amp delivers 120wpc at 8ohms and measures very well across the board from memory.

SteveR750

Most Satisfying - ProAc D18 (I doubt I will ever want to part with them)

Most Loved - NAD3130 as a student

Most impressive - 1978 LP12/Ittok/Goldring

Most surprising by a long long way - PC running J River MC15!

A

Anonymous

ART Emotion Monitor speakers. The most beautiful speakers I've heard and almost completely unheard of...

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Tivoli PAL radio.

Bought some 10 years ago on impulse whilst in London on business. It has served me well since, the midrange focused sounded conveying the music really well. it's still going strong, the rubberised blue finish having acquired a worn look that reminds me of the patina of old leather. And it still makes the grade sound wise; I review similar kit for a friend's magazine, so get a lot of the new stuff on my desk.

Not bad for a small portable radio, bearing in mind I've owned some heady kit, including Meriidan and B&W Nautilus 802's.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My Focal's with matching stands.

Bought on a whim off another forum, approx half the price if bought new, and in absolutely mint condition.

Only had limited experiences with other speakers over the years (MS, Quad, EB, Epos, Mission) but these Focals sound the best to me.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
AVI ADM40 are a stunning bargain. Never thought I'd own hi fi of this capability.

Although I have to say my Sonos would have to come ahead, as it just such an easy painless system and music is just there for you whenever you want.

The Sonos IPad app is the best money I've never spent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts