Your best hi-fi purchase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much everything I've bought.

Started off with some Dynaudio Focus 110's which I still have, and adore. Powered by a Marantz PM6004 for a short while.

Then upgraded am to Electro ECI5 MK1. Life changing.

And now just got a Rega DAC. Am pretty happy and struggling to see what's next.

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
My Linn Akurate 212's.Less than half price and really underated,they have survived a couple of electronic upgrades and suit my taste perfectly.I recently added some Totem Mani 2 sigs to the front end of my surround sound and they may prove to be even better :dance:

David

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
At the time when I was younger I got used Creek CD60 which was great at the time!

Also, not the most accompished amp but that made a huge improvement and got me into the brand was Nait 3 amp.

Such a joyful and forward sounding amp.

Biggest bargain is SBT no doubt.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
NAD 3020A in 1980, it allowed me to understand for the first time what all this hifi malarky was all about. More recently, probably my Thorens which meant I started to replay my vinyl collection again and realise that the quality was still as good (if not better) than a modern CD player :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

This wonderful three pieces! 8)

I've never owned (since my fathers home) a dedicated stereo kit.

I've always put my money on AV kit's, since the beginning in 1995/96 with my first Sony AV kit...

Now i'm building my stereo kit since last year, this summer i've bought from the UK ebay the NAD 3020i in a very good shape, and i might add that it is a magnificent amp!

Now i'm waiting for the Brio R and the NAD will be moved to my bedroom.

SBT+Rega DAC+NAD endless hours of music! :cheers:

Today since 3pm and still i'm...

NAD 3020, SBT and Rega DAC they all here more that once! :cheers:

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
B&W 685's and Onkyo 8050.

To me 685's are very hard to beat. I am strugling to find next step upgrade from them with budge £1300. It looks like I will need to stretch all the way up to PM1's.

The same story with 8050. There are no rivals for it with the same spec and price and SQ. Unless Unitiqute-2 comes out with 50w under £1500, Onkyo 8050 will stay my best purchase. For now.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Difficult one really... happy with all components, in spite of the odd itch to change the amp.

Can't see myself changing the Harbeths and certainly not the EMC1UP... best speakers and CDP I've owned.

Mac

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Best purchase - in the sense of wonder (and not that you buy an 8 grand amplifier and it sounds great like Pathos Inpol2) is

AG Strada.

They are not cheap either but they have done what many speakers can only think of achieving. At about 5kg a piece, flexibility to mount straight on to the wall and 180 degree tweeter it is all I wanted (with this relocation) and glad to find one. Ofcourse they do not go deep but I never had a challenge with integrating a sub into the system so it is great to finally see something radically different and deliver beyond the paper specs.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
That would have to be my T+A system: T+A V10 amp, T+A D10 CD/SACD Player and T+A TCI 2E Criterion speakers which I bought from BBG who were the distributors at the time for the price they paid. This was when I was doing alot of business with them with a mate of mine.

I'd say my most cherised piece of hifi has to be my Michell Gyrodec SE. Few things give me more pleasure!

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Overall, it has to be my PMC speakers, but my Akai AM-U11 amp was my first foray into 'serious' hi-fi and I was thrilled with it! And it's still going thirtysomething years later.

Currently listening to: Megafaun

matthewpiano

chip47 said:
Mine is a Nad 326 bee amp i bought recently I love it!!!

Its a great amp and I love mine too. I've owned and heard all sorts of amps over the last few years but the NAD does it for me. Tends to get forgotten about as merely a 'budget' amp but it performs well above that level. Interestingly it is more than good enough to show the differences between a good budget CD player and the Roksan.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Paying a spark to add a separate earth spike to my dedicated mains spur for my hi fi. Why people spend hundreds or thousands upgrading boxes without doing this first is quite beyond me. For the price of a half decent cable, £135, this simple procedure has upgraded ALL my kit. The best hi fi money I've ever spent.

jjbomber

Naim FlatCap. Just couldn't belive the difference it made to the 92/90 combination. Bass just started leaping out of the speakers. The other great thing is that it everything suddenly sounded live rather than studio recorded. In many ways, I wish I hadn't 'upgraded' to the Supernait/Hi-Cap.

Honourable mention to the Kef Reference 1 speakers. Totally fill the room with a wall of sound.

Best bargain buy. Onkyo ND-S1 ipod dock which I use for the USB input to connect from the laptop to the Supernait. Spotify never sounded so good. I had it ex-demo for £85. The ipod connect through the Uniti, so I just use it for the laptop. Bargain.

TRENDING THREADS