Your best hi-fi purchase

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Technics SL10 parallel tracking record deck. Blew away other decks at the time.

The most 'esoteric' piece was the Nakamichi Tri-Tracer 1000.

Now AVI ADM9Ts because I have forgotten all about performance and tweaking, just enjoy listening to the music.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Denon DM37 with Tannoy F1 Customs around 4-years ago (okay, that's two, but they're inseperable in my mind).

Got me listening to “proper” hi-fi again, having carted plastic boxes around for nearly 25-years since my last one.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Denon DM37 with Tannoy F1 Customs around 4-years ago (okay, that's two, but they're inseperable in my mind).

Got me listening to “proper” hi-fi again, having carted plastic boxes around for nearly 25-years since my last one.

stiil have them?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
Sizzers said:

stiil have them?

Well they are sort of still around.

I sold them to the guy who I share a house with so I still get to have a very happy listen from time to time. The only problem with the Denon was the stupid large volume increments on the digital volume control, either too low or too loud for late night listening. This caused too many problems with the neighbours so I had to look at alternatives, so sadly they eventually had to go.

SteveR750

matthewpiano said:
chip47 said:
Mine is a Nad 326 bee amp i bought recently I love it!!!

Its a great amp and I love mine too. I've owned and heard all sorts of amps over the last few years but the NAD does it for me. Tends to get forgotten about as merely a 'budget' amp but it performs well above that level. Interestingly it is more than good enough to show the differences between a good budget CD player and the Roksan.

Almost everyone over thre age of 40 has probably owned a NAD at some time, and they are like the original mini, you might be aware of the limitations, but its good honest fun! My 3130 was the absolute dogs doodahs in my universe back in 1986 when I bought mine, and suffered hours of student party abuse. I had a C352 for about 3 years too not that long ago, and brought the same smile to my face simply owning it. The Roksan Kandy that replaced it was for sure sonically much better, but I never loved it as much.

T

the record spot

I think I'll throw in an honourable mention to my earlier TX-8050 nomination; Sansui's AU-217.

Serviced and delivered for all-in £33. I partnered it with Mission 752s and my old Marantz SA7001-KI and it made for a lovely combination. Fantastic amp, but you could say that about the whole Sansui n17 series range.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
I think I'll throw in an honourable mention to my earlier TX-8050 nomination; Sansui's AU-217.

Serviced and delivered for all-in £33. I partnered it with Mission 752s and my old Marantz SA7001-KI and it made for a lovely combination. Fantastic amp, but you could say that about the whole Sansui n17 series range.

LOVE 752s - I bet that sounded fantastic.

As a result of your praise I can't help but keep looking at the classic Sansui amps on various sites. Bargains to be had pretty much constantly!

T

the record spot

Excellent! The 752s were indeed great speakers, but I'm just as delighted by the Tannoys I use now, which remind me in some ways of the strong musical presence the 751s had. The Sansui amp did the business though; it's rated at 30w (nearer 50 though according to Hi Fi World from memory as it was very conservatively measured) and is just effortless. Keep it within sensible levels and you won't go wrong. Watch out for some prices though, the higher ones up in the range are starting to go for silly money. And yes, it was a great combination!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have 751s at the mo on the end of my TX-8050 - love it, great combo.

Have you seen this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANSUI-AU-919-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/290780485654?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item43b3de1816

I imagine that is quite an amp?

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Hooked up Monopulse model S last night. Woah.

Spotify by far the best VFM ongoing purchase but boy are these speakers making me smile.

T

the record spot

Hadn't seen the listing on Ebay, but looking at the condition, it seems a tad overpriced - I'd be expecting something near mint, perhaps recapped and then it would be more interesting, but as it is, that's a little too rich for my liking. Assuming it is just cosmetic, but that's just me.

As an amp though, yep, it'll be a good 'un!

EDIT: Mind you, the Mission 753's and Marantz receiver in the same seller's lineup would be interesting together!

omnibeard said:
I have 751s at the mo on the end of my TX-8050 - love it, great combo.

Have you seen this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANSUI-AU-919-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/290780485654?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item43b3de1816

I imagine that is quite an amp?

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
for me, quite recent, KEF R500's a great speaker

Cyrus CDXT se2 ~ chord signature ~ CYRUS DAC XP+ ~ merlin chopin mk4 ~ 2 mono x powers ~ chord odyssey ~ Kef R500

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
fatman said:
Hooked up Monopulse model S last night. Woah.

Spotify by far the best VFM ongoing purchase but boy are these speakers making me smile.

Exactly what my Model A speakers are doing - great big grin whilst being punched in the stomach with bass. A feeling I like - I think I might have actually said "Woah" out loud!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
Mind you, the Mission 753's and Marantz receiver in the same seller's lineup would be interesting together!

I REALLY want to get a pair of 753 - not sure I can justify it though. Maybe swap my AE109 for a pair?

At the money you can pick them up for, I imagine they would make it pretty much to the top of my best hifi purchases.

T

the record spot

For my money, 752 original every time. The 753 was distinctive but the multiple drivers are a pain. I understand the 752 is the more accomplished of the two as well. Soundwise, with the right gear it's stunning.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
STILL kicking myself about the pair of 752 that went for £31 on ebay about 40 mins from me...

...they go for peanuts on ebay generally - £100 or so for speakers that good is just mental!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
bw cm1 speakers without a doubt just love em and my trusty technics sl1200 mk11 which i bought brand new off ebay 5 years ago for about 280 which in all that time ive still hardly used it so its still as good as new great deck, shamed it gets a bad rap from some hifi quarters

A

Anonymous

I agree MathewPiano, something similar happened to me with 685's:

My best hifi purchase is the Roksan Kandy K2 Amp and CD second hand combo , the seller (a very good person) sent them for home demoing and after this we close the deal . They made me rediscover my 685's, I've have heard then with my Marantz PM 6003 and a yamaha AS 500 and, for years , I 've thought that there was something wrong in the midrange, expression and emotion of music. Don't misunderstand me , It's a matching and musical taste affair, I think these are very good amps. Now I am enjoying my music like never did. I think i'll go on with the B&Ws for many years.

Best Regards from Spain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts