Would a Dac upgrade my 10 year old DVD player?

Phil77

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I have just purchased some new hi-fi Yahama A-S500 Amp and Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. To sasy i am amazed with the sound is an understatement, but i am using an 10 year old Sony DVPS 7700 DVD/CD player, i know in the day this was an £800 player which had alot of audio playback features built in, but would a dac like Cambridge audio Dac Magic make any difference? or a dedicated cd player at the same price around £200?

A

Anonymous

Undeniably a DAC will improve the quality of your digital source but ... I suspect your system won't sound much better because of Yamaha A-S500's limitations.

A

Anonymous

A Dac will definitely improve your player. The Dacmagic would be ideal - I'm about to ebay my mint condition DM bought in April this year. If you were based anywhere near Manchester I would happily let you test your player through my DM.

I think your Yamaha AMP is plenty up to the job of getting the most out of a better source. Other than the DM take a look at Rega's DAC or the Musical Fidelity M1. Feel free to PM me. ;)

Phil77

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the reply, i have owned many amps new and second hand the most expensive being the Arcam A85 and the Yamaha to my ears sounds better than the Arcam, i'd love to know the Yamaha's limitations? i'm confident this has won awards for many good reasons...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts