worth upgrading a Rega P1 ?

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not it is worth upgrading a P1 with a glass platter and a better cartridge? I was thinking of a P2 ( or planar) but decided that might be better to hang on until I can afford a P/planar3 and spending a bit of cash on my P1 for the time being

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
The ortofon om5e it came with, its quite a budget cart i think, I'd be looking to spend maybe £40 on a cart and £30 on an acrylic platter.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bobchiba:The ortofon om5e it came with, its quite a budget cart i think, I'd be looking to spend maybe £40 on a cart and £30 on an acrylic platter.

In which case spend the £75 on upgrading the OM stylus to OM10 for £45 (or OM20 for £100).

I doubt a glass or acrylic platter would make as much difference.

A

Anonymous

or try the jico styluses

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=726

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
one off:or try the jico styluses
http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=726

Which Jico stylus replacements have you found to be as good (or better) as current manufacturer versions?

I am intrigued as there are only a few companies in Japan making profiled diamonds for styli. Namiki Precision Jewel Company, Nagaoka, Co. Ltd, Ichikawa Jewel Company (Jelco) and Ogura Jewel Industry Co. Ltd.

(Not sure that Ichikawa still do the styli any more though.)

A

Anonymous

dont have the styluses to make those comparisons but the jico om30 i have is better than my om10

have a look theres heaps of info on jico on the web plus reviews

at $29 its worth a try anyway

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
But do they have the same profiles as their respective Ortofon OM counterparts?

If so then they are the bargain of the century and one has to ask why companies like Audio Technica and Sumiko and Denon and Ortofon and Lyra don't get their more expensive diamond profiles sourced from Jico instead of companies like Namiki.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
bobchiba:Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not it is worth upgrading a P1 with a glass platter and a better cartridge? I was thinking of a P2 ( or planar) but decided that might be better to hang on until I can afford a P/planar3 and spending a bit of cash on my P1 for the time being

Personally I wouldn't bother with the OM10 as it's not enough of an upgrade to make much difference. The big improvement with that range is the quality step up to the OM20, where you get a nude elliptical stylus. It makes all the difference and you should hear it.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
But do they have the same profiles as their respective Ortofon OM counterparts?

If so then they are the bargain of the century and one has to ask why companies like Audio Technica and Sumiko and Denon and Ortofon and Lyra don't get their more expensive diamond profiles sourced from Jico instead of companies like Namiki.check their website and also on the internet plenty of info there

i bought their om30 to see whether it was better than the om10 and it definitely is more than that i cant tell you

perhaps you could email them and ask

also its not worth going overboard for a p1 its good but you wouldnt drop a ferrari motor in your ford fiesta would you

TRENDING THREADS