Question Vintage Rega Planner 3 Upgrade Path - recommendations / experiences ?

Crams76

Dec 10, 2023
Visit site
I have a vintage late 1980's Rega Planner 3. All serviced and a new RP303 arm, 24 v power supply, upgraded belt and rewired arm. New AT 540ML cartridge.

I am very happy with it and now curious about upgrades. (Or in fact whether to stop where I am and enjoy it...)

I saw the Delrin aluminium sub platter for about £200, a dedicated phono stage Rega MM MK5 for £200, the Neo power supply for £260 and a very highly rated Collaro Record mat for £99 (not sure how that makes such a difference!).

I have a phono stage in my Arcam SA20 and a quite old Rotel RQ 970BX dedicated phono stage. Both sound the same to me so I put the Rotel on ebay, for £140 but is has not sold yet.

Based on your experiences what would you go for first / best bang for the buck?

By the way the TT with those upgrades cost me £300. Very pleased.

Last edited:

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
I have a P3 with Iceni audio sub and main platter and the little belter blue belt + neo power supply and im very happy with what i got and how they sound, Now do they sound better ? thats a matter of opinion and i think they do slightly but not night and day. I never noticed any difference with the neo power supply but i do like being able to swap speeds without taking the platter off.
I don`t use a mat i use silicon dots and they work very well.
Andy

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1677515883401.jpg
    FB_IMG_1677515883401.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Crams76 and DougK1

Oxfordian

I have a vintage late 1980's Rega Planner 3. All serviced and a new RP303 arm, 24 v power supply, upgraded belt and rewired arm. New AT 540ML cartridge.

I am very happy with it and now curious about upgrades. (Or in fact whether to stop where I am and enjoy it...)

I saw the Delrin aluminium sub platter for about £200, a dedicated phono stage Rega MM MK5 for £200, the Neo power supply for £260 and a very highly rated Collaro Record mat for £99 (not sure how that makes such a difference!).

I have a phono stage in my Arcam SA20 and a quite old Rotel RQ 970BX dedicated phono stage. Both sound the same to me so I put the Rotel on ebay, for £140 but is has not sold yet.

Based on your experiences what would you go for first / best bang for the buck?

By the way the TT with those upgrades cost me £300. Very pleased.
Have a look on the pre-loved market, Fono and Neo can be picked up for around £150-175 apiece. If memory serves the latest Fono is a case rehash the inners haven’t changed.

But if you are going to spend all that on upgrading your Planar 3 it may well be better to upgrade to a P6 (brand new at £1150 with Neo but no cart, yours would be just fine) this would be a step up on your 3 and a great base for listening today and upgrading tomorrow.

Alternatively, stick with what you have and buy loads of vinyl instead :)

Good luck.

Reactions: Crams76

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts